Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Bands that you knew existed for years, but only just discovered…
  • emsz
    Free Member

Lambchop.

aren’t they lush?

Nick Drake. vaguely aware of him, (dad’s a fan) only just really listened to his stuff seriously this summer, he was so talented. makes me sad

BillMC

Phil Manzanera with Brian Eno ‘Diamond Head’
    Carlos Santana ‘Abraxas’

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Sunn O)))

Oh yes
    ….just don’t get in any situation where you have to try and explain it to anyone!
    (although goes with out sayin that I prefer the earlier stuff 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    Despite being the stereotypical indie kid turned clubber, I never actually heard Screamadelica in full ’til well into the 21st century

recall the classic track was a 13th Floor Elevators cover, slip inside this house. Spacemen3 covered their Reverberation and someone else covered their I’ve got Levitation at the same time. 13th Floor Elevators had some moments of brilliance but mostly lost in a drug addled haze, rediscovered and covered in the UK in late 80’s early 90’s dance/indie thing.

deluded
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/lG8l6JyQb0A[/video]

GusGus never appeared on my radar for quite some time despite my fondness for electronica and them having been around for 22 years. It was nice to go through their back catalogue. Here’s their latest single.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I think the most suprising one for me in recent years has been XTC. Of course being a teen of the 80s I’d heard their 3 biggest hits. Radio 2 in recent yrs seem to think that ‘Senses Working Overtime’ is the only song worth playing, but at least it reminded me of them. So I started having a mosey on Youtube and soon had these albums:

Black Sea
    Drums and Wires
    White Music (70’s agit-pop/punk classic!)
    English Settlement
    Oranges and Lemons
    The Big Express

Couldn’t (can’t) stop playing especially in the car. Literally gobsmacked at the lyrics and musical talent. The later stuff is not so much my cup of char but worth exploring. Seems to have been a recent cull of XTC on youtube so Spotify is my friend for exploring some of their other stuff (including their alter-ego psych-pop band – ‘Dukes of Stratosfear’)

Criminally unsung band IMO. And very, very English in the best of senses (working overtime). Boom-tcha!

[video]https://youtu.be/oXyEHhIPu-A[/video]

And one of the best bass-lines of all time was the B-side to Mayor Of Simpleton!!!

[video]https://youtu.be/fO73BX5tRUU[/video]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Salif Keita.

Stan Getz.

Kryton57

Just going through The Cult playlist. Awesome.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

@ quagmire (giggedy)

The follow-up, The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is pretty damn good, too.

@mikey74 – correct, it’s bloody ace. I think it’s as good as the first album.

🙂

Duggan

I think sometimes the name of a band might put you off and so it takes ages to get round to listening to them.

British Sea Power are supposed to be excellent but I don’t think I’ll ever find out because I can’t bring myself to listen a band with that name- it reminds me of the worst kind of 1980’s history textbooks at school 🙁

codybrennan
    Free Member

Glad you got there with XTC, MR. I’m a big fan.

Re brilliant bass lines- the best guitar solo of all time is on “That’s really Super, Supergirl”, at least IMHO.

cinnamon_girl

Janis Joplin

I’ve listened to blues for years and in my head I always thought she was ‘just a hippy’ and not paid any attention but my son started listening to her and I was blown away. Thank goodness for Spotify!

Youtube is your friend too. There will never be a female singer as good as Janis.

mikey74
    Free Member

@mikey74 – correct, it’s bloody ace. I think it’s as good as the first album.

Yep, I’d agree with that. In pure musical terms, it probably better, but the first one has a special feel and significance to it. In fact, I’ve just put it on 8)

blurty

One of my life’s few regrets is not knowing about The Neutral Milk Hotel until recently

video

monkfish
    Free Member

Just got surrealist pillow by Jefferson Airplane after stumbling across them recently. My new favourite album.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Yep, I’d agree with that. In pure musical terms, it probably better, but the first one has a special feel and significance to it. In fact, I’ve just put it on

Yes, both good but as you say, the first one has the biggest impact. Might well get that cranked up with a few beers 🙂

Life is good when mixed with beer and great music!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I love music, so it’s hard for me to pick a revisit..

But I’m definitely in a Dance House groove kinda guy, and have been revisiting everything on Defected Records recently ..

Been pleasantly surprised at the tunes bringing back memories of dance floors in Town, with some exceptional friends..

Seems apt..

nick1962
    Free Member

Fela Kuti.
    I remember hearing him in my post punk/alternative days when “world music” became more popular but my 3 minute song attention span couldn’t get to grips with his elongated song structures.Rediscovered his stuff recently and love it now,although nearly all his tunes are pretty much the same format!A real proto punk and a true anti establishment radical to boot.[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-baIQKCZss[/video]

CountZero

Television – Marquee Moon

Hugely influential band and album, saw them play with Blondie and The Cortinas as support.

Glad you got there with XTC, MR. I’m a big fan.

There’s a couple of albums missing from that list, possibly the band’s best albums, Apple Venus and Wasp Star, especially the first one, which has quite possibly the most vituperative divorce song ever written in Your Dictionary!
    Sadly never had the chance to see them live, but did see Dave Gregory playing in a local band called Dean Gabber and the Gabrrdeans, just before he joined XTC, bloody good he was, too.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

monkfish – Member
    Just got surrealist pillow by Jefferson Airplane after stumbling across them recently. My new favourite album.

Yes, possibly my desert Island disc. Vaguely remembered it as a kid, probably from watching Monteray Pop on telly and radio play of tracks, but bought the album in 1990 and every track was instantly familiar, even tho I was 1 when it was released. It’s deservedly considered one of the 4 great albums of 67. I think the other 3 are Forever Changes, St Peppers and, I think, the Dock of the bay. The album has been played to death in the last 27 years, but I would still happily put it on tonight and enjoy. The electric version of Plastic Fantastic is better tho IMO (on Bless it’s Pointed Little Head album).

Northwind

Arab Strap- bit weird, I knew loads of other bands from that scene but I just never heard an Arab Strap song, went and saw them at Field Day in London (again, bit weird, “discovering” a scottish band by going from Scotland to London) and loved it. Then got a bunch of the albums and didn’t like ’em as much as the live versions

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Opeth
    Orange Goblin
    Genesis
    Can
    Dollar

chakaping
    Free Member

I had heard Glenn Branca’s name, but never heard his music until this week – thought I’d check him out on YouTube after seeing him on a TV doc.

Absolutely blown away…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xApWRSDDvGI&t=482s[/video]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve been really getting into the “The Best of…” by The Beatles.
    Amazing stuff. Have they done a better album?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Maybe not a band that too many have heard of ..but one which you should have if you are into art/ prog rock which I “discovered ” about six years ago ..and have been my favourite group ever since ..Gazpacho.
    Start with March Of Ghosts ..go back to discover earlier stuff ..then forward with Demon & Molok.
    The musicianship is unreal ..and best heard as “headphone” albums
    Here is a taster from their latest album Molok..”Know Your Time”

organic355
    Free Member

I’ve only just discovered the National in the last 6 months!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Tod1_tZdU[/video]

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Bands that you knew existed for years, but only just discovered…’ is closed to new replies.