Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Bands that you knew existed for years, but only just discovered…
  • I’ll start…

Prompted by the new single being played on 6 music, I’m currently shuffling the The Jesus and Mary Chain on Spotify and I quite like what I’m hearing

surfer
    Free Member

I certainly missed the memo on Elbow, big fan now.

isto
    Free Member

Only just discovered the back catalogues of Brian Jonestown Massacre and Can. I never really appreciated Kyuss until I had heard the first couple of QOTSA albums….not just recently discovered though I suppose.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    P-Jay
    Free Member

Arcade Fire. Loving the new album, thought they were new, was a bit surprised that ‘the suburbs’ was theirs, a couple of songs from that were on my playlist for a little bit but never set my pants on fire.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Good timing – I finally got(ify) Spotify last night. Oh my.

once the fellow house-denizens were all fed and toileted and asleep – I plugged in the AKGs and felt like a kid in the biggest sweetshop ever.

4am saw me still agog and wide-awake. Haven’t felt so spoiled since Audiogalaxy 😉

I could go on but in the spirit of the thread here’s a few – exactly what OP was talking about (ie aware but I was unnacquainted). So much catching up to do. Flipping amazing IMO:

Television – Marquee Moon
    Psychic TV – Godstar
    Mild High Club – Windowpane
    [video]https://youtu.be/jlbunmCbTBA[/video]
    [video]https://youtu.be/s1yr8w_vZ5E[/video]
    [video]https://youtu.be/jEX0r9cs5_0[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Not a band, but solo female, Betty Davis. Uttlery bonkers 70s funk. Was married to Miles Davis.

I, of course, have heard every other band that I need to. 😀

Here she is.
    [video]https://youtu.be/UQM02CFMMdY[/video]

My son squirms “What a horrible voice!” if I play it in the car 😆

midlifecrashes

Not going as far back as some on this thread, but I’m currently a bit obsessed with The XX. Probably as they seem to be strongly influenced by loads of the electronic pop and rock of the 80s and 90s that I was into back then.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOiQ8toIFis[/video]

white101

Also 6music related, I really enjoyed the Mogwai live session last week.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Not a band as such.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbdarK4zc0k[/video]

metalheart
    Free Member

I can’t think of anything recent tbh.

It did take me listening to Big Black to discover Gang of Four though…. 😳

I’m definitely liking Betty Davis.

Reminds that it took me almost 20 years to discover that there was more to Roberta Flack than Reverend Lee (as in other tracks on the album, esp. do what you gotta do… 😳 😳 )

aP
    Free Member

Future Rock – Sugar Coated Bullets
    Second Hand – Death May Be your Santa Claus

Over the last month I’ve been feeding CD after CD into my Brennan b2 (470 to date) and have rediscovered Pavement, not sure about herself’s Julianna Hatfield and Grant Lee Buffalo collection though.

hodgynd
    Free Member

The Afghan Whigs ..
    The new album ” In Spades ” is my album of the year so far ..the previous ” Do to the Beast ..aint half bad either ..only ” discovered ” earlier this year and went right under my radar previously ..Dulli’s voice is just magnificent

Stoner
    Free Member

Lambchop.

Seen live at Greenman this year, awesome. Didnt realise they were pensionable though! 😳

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Most recently it’s London Grammar, Kasabian and Motorhead. It’s funny how you associate a band with one song for years (Ace of spades for example) and don’t realise how good all their other stuff is.

Same with the Stranglers (Golden brown) I unintentionally saw them live last year and then got into their music.

DezB
    Free Member

the Stranglers

Rattus Norvegicus is the album. From there go back to the Doors, maybe.

sadexpunk

the Stranglers

Rattus Norvegicus is the album
    tend to agree with you altho theres not much in it between that and NMH.

i know a few people who’ve only heard golden brown and cant believe the ‘proper’ stuff is the same band 😀

hodgynd
    Free Member

They were pretty average supporting Simple Minds at Gateshead Stadium a few years back ..

DezB
    Free Member

You can’t fully appreciate the Stranglers til you’ve heard JJ’s intro to Princess of The Streets (or Walk on By, of course) 🙂

Could you get away with calling a song I Feel Like a Wog these days 😆

supporting Simple Minds… a few years back
    That wasn’t the Stranglers – without Hugh Cornwell it’s a different band. At their peak Simple Minds wouldn’t be worthy of fitting a new string on Hugh’s guitar.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ghost strange Swedes who dress up.

hodgynd
    Free Member

DezB
    Tend to disagree ..Ive always thought they were pretty piss poor to be honest ..but that’s all down to personal opinion ..
    I take on board what you are saying but they were the worst band to take to the stage that day ..Simple Minds were brilliant ..so to Roachford and OMD ..ok

sweepy
    Free Member

Ghost strange Swedes who dress up.

Do you mean Goat or is there another lot

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

The Black Crowes.

Their debut album, Shake Your Money Maker, is fantastic.

kayak23

I have absolutely no idea why I didn’t seem to particularly notice My Bloody Valentine at the time, though I was probably too caught up in American Hardcore skate punk type stuff.

About 3 years back I did notice them. Praise be.

[video]http://youtu.be/Ul0hnGP5Aes[/video]

mikey74
    Free Member

@ quagmire (giggedy)

The follow-up, The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is pretty damn good, too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Lift To Experience – didn’t even realise I’d heard of them till hearing them at Green Man – probably the highlight of the festival after Ryan Adams (for me). Once I looked them up, I realised I’d heard of them back in the 90s when I used to pay a lot more attention to the South-by-Southwest stuff (but completely forgotten about them)..

Funnily enough (given comments above about Guy Garvey), he was involved in getting them back together. Whatever the story, they were an utterly inspired choice for the festival. Most people that saw them were impressed.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Big stranglers fan back then, Raven album (on cassette) might well have been my very first proper intro into Punk as a 10 yo.

I went thru a 60’s Psychedelic/Funkadelic/West coast garage Punk period in my early twenties (2nd Summer of love time, late 80’s early 90’s) The Sonics were a band I completely missed, discovered courtesy of persons on here 10 years ago or so.

Also went thru a period of Southern Death Cult, Sisters of Mercy, The Birthday Party, Skeletal Family etc etc , but only recently discovered some Bauhaus, which at the time overlooked for some reason.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

This isn’t going to win me any ‘coolness’ points but I’m 48 with two teenage sons, so no longer care what people think of my taste.

So I’m putting forward Supertramp. Crime of the Century in particular.

mt
    Free Member

@flashinthepan. Well done on owning up to Supertramp.

Can I recommend to you all The Steve Miller Band, more I listen to his early stuff the more l like.

olly2097
    Free Member

Didn’t know the manic Street preachers could make an album like the holy bible until well after some of their later dross.

bodgy
    Free Member

Turin Brakes – didn’t even know they were a thing until Mrs B bought some tickets to see them this coming Saturday.

wwaswas

Janis Joplin

I’ve listened to blues for years and in my head I always thought she was ‘just a hippy’ and not paid any attention but my son started listening to her and I was blown away. Thank goodness for Spotify!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkGUt4QYc08[/video]

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I was going to start one of these threads and then this popped up.

Mastodon. Can’t believe I’ve never really realised who or what they are before. Not the easiest band to get into but I’m completely submerged now. Can’t wait to see them in December. And the videos are just some crazy icing on the cake:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBXWBj7hIzg[/video]

Bimbler
    Free Member

Paradise Lost, they formed in 1988, first album in 1989, just released their 15th! Despite me being a metal head for all of those years, (although I was more Mr Ravey Davey Gravy from 88/89-96) I never really interfaced with them. Now they’re my favourite Goth-Doom-Death-Electronica Metal band thanks to finally “getting” them via Spotify. Thanks Spotify.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Jh36OMXFE[/video]

crewlie

The Delgados…knew the name but had never listened to them until I followed a link on here. The Great Eastern is a fantastic album.

chakaping
    Free Member

Despite being the stereotypical indie kid turned clubber, I never actually heard Screamadelica in full ’til well into the 21st century.

senorj

I just heard “song for Jeffrey ” by Jethro Tull
    On 6-rather smart. Top drumming .:-)

Coyote
    Free Member

Getting quite fond of Massive Attack having missed them first time round.

Another one for Arcade Fire too!

mancalledaaron1
    Free Member

Sunn O)))

IdleJon

I just heard “song for Jeffrey ” by Jethro Tull
    On 6-rather smart. Top drumming .:-)

So many different musicians played in Tull, and they’ve covered so many different styles of music. There is something for every mood. (I’ve been humming Dunringill since watching the weather forecast at tea time.) It’s just a pity that Anderson lost his voice thirty years ago.

I’ll +1 for the Afghan Whigs.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Pentangle

Type o negative

Fallen in love with ‘korn’ all over again

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Bands that you knew existed for years, but only just discovered…’ is closed to new replies.