Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)
  • Bands that you just don't get.
  • Jossie

The Who
    The Smiths
    The Band – never heard anything of theirs but the fil keeps harping on about them and couldn’t they think of a name?
    Coldplay – Corporate mor rock
    Chilli Peppers – the none John years
    U2

Probably loads more once I start thinking about it.

edlong
    Free Member

Royal Blood – Their best bits sound like the first 30 seconds of a Nu Metal track and the rest of their stuff goes downhill from there.

Funny one for me. Every single riff, and I mean literally every one, I’ve heard before somewhere else. Every lyric, and I mean every single line of every song, seems to have been written by a random rock cliche generator. You can hear it for the first time, and finish every line before the singer, the lyrics are that hackneyed.

I guess stuff either rocks or it doesn’t, and there’s only so many chords, and sequences of chords that work. Big dumb riffs and dumb lyrics aren’t the worst things in the world. It’s currently by far the most played album in my car. I’m absolutely loving it.

edlong
    Free Member

The Band – never heard anything of theirs

🙄

Can I also add to the list of bands I don’t get, bands who’s music I’ve not heard (yet)?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joeydeacon
    Free Member

Weird how the same bands seems to crop up on this thread, but still sell millions of records.. someone must be buying them (or having their music forced upon them, in the case of U2)?!

nickc

weird how the same bands seems to crop up on this thread, but still sell millions of records

Because their music is massively popular, and they have thousands of fans?

vickypea
    Free Member

IdleJohn – we’re talking about what we don’t get, so how do you know whether most of us are into stuff post-2006? 😛

vickypea
    Free Member

SaxonRider- sorry about Neil Young 😆
    But “keep on Rockin’ in the free world” is sung in such a wimpy voice!

flossie
    Free Member

One Direction…. I just don’t get it.

moose
    Free Member

Royal Blood? Rock for hipsters.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Beatles – I hear the argument that much of the music I listen to today wouldn’t be around without them but if I lived the rest of my life without hearing another Beatles, Wings, Lennon, McCartney, Thomas the Tank Engine, Oasis song it wouldn’t worry me in the slightest.

/\ This

and Florence and the Machine

and all the whiney boy singers of the last few years

BobaFatt
    Free Member

It’s all been said before, but:

Beatles
    U2
    Libertines
    Florence and the Machine
    Since seeing them live, really gone off Foo Fighters

athgray
    Free Member

The Libertines.
    Dire Straits
    Fleetwood Mac (not witg Peter Green)

mikemorini
    Free Member

Anything Jo Whiley likes. The more enraptured she is, the more I suspect it’s shite. I give you “The Darkness” as an example.
    There’s lots of great music being made at the moment, always has been I guess. You just don’t hear it on mainstream radio very often. Thank god for the internet.

john_drummer
    Free Member

How can you be derivative of the stuff that came after you? Or is that a gag I’m missing?

CountZero

Shit loads of stuff I don’t understand the popularity of: Manics, for one, third-rate student union politicking, and a ‘if I shout loudly it’ll sound important’ style of singing.
    Pretty much everything Radio One plays, most dance music; fine if you’re dancing in a club, but who could possibly want to listen to one continual, ‘doof doof doof doof doof doof’.
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers; buy one song off iTunes, stick it on repeat a dozen times, you got every album they ever released.
    Other than that, most of the bands people on this thread have been whining about I actually like, because they have something really crucial: tunes.
    Even Coldplay; Chris Martin’s continual falsetto style of singing gets on my tits, but he can write a decent tune.
    My music library goes, literally, from Abba to Zappa, and includes country, folk, prog, rock, metal, punk, Indy, classical, electro, dance, world, roots, and a bunch of stuff I have difficulty classifying, and I feel no need to explain or apologise to anybody for liking any of it.
    There’s a quote by Aldous Huxley that pretty much says it all: “After silence, that which come nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music”.
    My library doesn’t have any Oasis, Manics or RHCP in it; it does have hundreds of other artists, though.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Not so much a specific band as a genre. Dub step. Even the most whacked space cadets must find it difficult to dance to.
    Surely the people who manufacture this drivel can find the arpeggiator button on their synth?

RHCP -never less than tedious (under the bridge excepted cos of the guitar stuff)

U2- still find the Joshua tree a good listen if for the variety of songs and the unforgettable fire is an epic tune.

David Bowie-very hit and miss. Can’t understand the beebs fawning over appreciation of him.

Bruce Springsteen- pointless.

Nirvana-ran out of ideas towards the end but the early stuff veers towards rem in its classic alt American rock. And nevermind seemed somehow to articulate the nature of deep platonic friendships (the exception being polly)

ninfan
    Free Member

It’s tough – there are a lot of great ‘singles’ bands, who produce the odd piece of absolute gold amongst an everlasting flow of formulaic turgid awfulness – bands where you just can’t listen to a whole album without hitting the next track button. I am very much looking at Oasis, U2 etc

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Any band formed after 2006, and coldplay. But that may just be because I can’t stand them.

Totally wrong. I could name plenty. They just don’t get to air because they don’t compete in a sing off.

Gunz
    Free Member

Light House Family – surely we can all agree on them.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The Flaming Lips. Just nothing going on there at all to my ears.

Oasis. Average pub band who inexplicably became megastars.

Coldplay. Parachutes was really good, but I can’t see why anybody is remotely interested in anything they’ve done since then.

Rolling Stones. A couple of good tracks from years ago, but massively overrated- maybe you had to be there when they were in their prime?

Stone Roses. Can only think their success was a product of the time and place, doesn’t seem to be warranted musically as far as I can see.

Speeder

The Fall

Kanye – the entourage almost counts as a “band”

lapdog
    Free Member

I know I shouldn’t bite but to say the Rolling Stones are overrated shows total ignorance of the ground breaking importance of what they did in the sixties. Why not just say you don’t like them.

freeagent
    Free Member

Coldplay
    The Manic St Preachers (except for motorcycle emptiness)
    Muse – just crap

_tom_
    Free Member

Muse. They have good riffs but the songs go nowhere and matt bellamys voice does my head in.

The Libertines, The Vaccines, Mumford, Bastille, imagine dragons and all that kind of crap. Boring tedious limp shit for boring tedious limp people.

jimster01

Never got Level 42, yes Mark king is a brilliant bass player, but the songs are as dull as dish water.

Another vote for Muse here to, listened to them thinking I should like this but just doesn’t click for some reason.

IdleJon

john_drummer – Member
    How can you be derivative of the stuff that came after you? Or is that a gag I’m missing

It was a joke. 😀

There are a lot of people on this thread who seem to be judging bands by contemporary standards. Yes, the Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Led Zep might be boring or dated these days but, seriously, how on earth can people say that they don’t get why these bands were successful? Even U2 and Oasis stood out among the music that was around at the time, even if there were plenty of better bands who didn’t make it. Just a quick google shows the bands that had number 1s around the time that Oasis broke – East 17, Rednex, Celine Dion, Take That, Livin’ Joy, Robson and Jerome. Yeah, htf did Oasis and Blur make it? 🙄

(I’m not an Oasis fan btw, just picked them as an example.)

But anyway, the thread is turning into an’I hate’ thread, so this is pretty irrelevant.

franki
    Free Member

CountZero wrote:

most dance music; fine if you’re dancing in a club, but who could possibly want to listen to one continual, ‘doof doof doof doof doof doof’.

Err… me?
    That pretty much describes over 90% of the music I listen to. 😀

Watty

Meatloaf, I bloody despise bloody Meatloaf. Bat out of Hell* indeed.

*mid-70s Zeitgeist eponymous album according to one reviewer!

DezB
    Free Member

Meatloaf, I bloody despise bloody Meatloaf
    Yay, someone I agree with at last.

Freester

Sleaford Mods
    Belle and Sebastien

I noticed someone made a comment about Royal Blood and not getting them. They are a 2 piece. Drums and a guy playing a bass guitar. What? It sounds like a separate bass and lead player. Nope. He just puts his bass through different speakers and also an octave effects pedal and it sounds like a separate bass and lead. Some stunning musicianship IMHO. But each to their own…

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’m aware of that, I’ve seen them live. A clever party trick doesn’t make them good…

Freester

LOL.

edlong
    Free Member

What? It sounds like a separate bass and lead player. Nope. He just puts his bass through different speakers and also an octave effects pedal and it sounds like a separate bass and lead. Some stunning musicianship IMHO.

That reminds me of another set of musicians that haven’t really come up yet, the “widdly widdly” guitar speed merchants of rock. I’m thinking of the likes of Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai. I like rock music, and I like a good guitar solo too, but to me a lot of that kind of playing is just technical showing off, and as a listener, it doesn’t light my fire. To my ears BB King could fire off a solo that did more for me using two notes than the likes of Vai do with 27 notes per second.

Kind of the hard rock equivalent of the Mariah Carey school of singing, why sing one note when you can sing 47 different notes in one word? Because it sounds stupid and has much less emotional impact than one well chosen, well sung note does, that’s why…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, Belle & Sebastian. Certainly don’t get them.

DezB
    Free Member

Alvvays.
    Current band, supposedly sound like “classic indie”. If ‘classic indie’ is naff, monotonous songs with drippy girlie vocals, yeah. Awful.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ha ha, Belle & Sebastian are my favourite band!

lemonysam
    Free Member

I quite like Alvvays but they are pretty bland. There’s a lot of that around if you look through the rostas of the likes of Polyvinyl.

Freester

Ha ha, Belle & Sebastian are my favourite band!

Someone encouraged me to go and see them at Glasto a few years back. I really, really, didn’t get it or the love the majority of the crowd had for them. The music in my opinion was dross to put it politely. Please try and make me get them.

SiofCannock
    Free Member

I can certainly agree with Shitehouse Family.

Lightning Seeds. So limp, so lame. I actually shout at the radio before tuning out. The aural equivalent of a weak handshake.

franki
    Free Member

I can certainly agree with Shitehouse Family.

Lightning Seeds. So limp, so lame. I actually shout at the radio before tuning out. The aural equivalent of a weak handshake.

All that kind of stuff, I mean – what’s the point of it?

My missus likes Belle & Sebastian, but they bore me to tears.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Bands that you just don't get.’ is closed to new replies.