Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Band on down tube cable stops – where from?
  • Vader
    Free Member

I'm in the process of renovating an old steel road bike with down tube shifters. Plan is to replace with an up to date groupset, 105 or similar, with brake lever shifting. I have seen some bikes with band on cable stops on the downtube – does anyone know where they can be bought? I have tried a search in vain but may be calling them the wrong name.

Also am i going to be able to run a 9 speed block? – its a late 70's era holdsworth that was originally a 10 speed (5×2)

cheers

meehaja
    Free Member

down tub shifer mounts if brazed on can be used to attach cable guides… http://www.spadout.com/p/shimano-sti-down-tube-cable-stops/

If you don't have braze ons, (i think you don't?) then I've seen band on, but not sure where or who makes it. If you can't find any, then just buy an old band on shifter set, take the levers off and attach the above product and hey presto!

FWIW I had an old road bike that had band on cable stops a year or so back… It was very old but they were badged as shimano?

meehaja
    Free Member

oh yeah…9 speed block should be fine, obviously on a 9 speed compatable hub (rear spacing should be fine, but just measure and check)

Vader
    Free Member

cheers for that, good idea stripping the levers. Yeah i think 9 will be fine too but its such an 'old' frame i wasnt sure. It's a horizontal drop out job with tensioners, at least 30 years old

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Band on down tube cable stops – where from?’ is closed to new replies.