Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Band of Brothers – Whats all the fuss about?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Watched 2 episodes last night, and was expecting something amazing given all the reviews and accolades.

Must say me and the mrs were slightly bored, does it get any better?

David Swimmers character in the 1st episode was laughable too, why did they pick him? couldn't take him seriously.

Jerome
    Free Member

You need a really big TV
    Gets better

kimbers

david schwimmer is a truly terrible actor, infact anyone frome friends is usually an indicator of a sh!t film

that aside it does take a while to get going it takes a while to warm to the characters

and some episodes are better than others

pedalhead
    Free Member

It's all about the characters. Stick with it.

z1ppy

the first couple are mainly the training & introducing the characters (from memory) they're setting up the rest of the series.. bear with it they are very very good (assuming you found "Saving Private Ryan" moving).

spacemonkey

I agree with the OP. We watched about 3 episodes a few months back and it didn't seem to be anything new. Dull characters and generally unengaging. Am hoping it gets better.

I know it's a different era, but IMO not a patch on the charisma of Generation Kill

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah I think hype ruins things, I saw BoB by accident and didn't know anything about it. Loved it (ok 1st episode is boring). It's alla bout the empathy dude, if you like 2nd world war and appreciate the sacrifice they made then BoB is great.

Mackem

It's about soldiers who cry. Dull.

nickc

It's mostly true?

geminafantasy
    Free Member

Wait until the bastogne episodes, if you are not moved by seeing what those poor lads went through for us then you must be emotionally dead and a complete idiot, always makes me feel very appreciative and grateful that I was born 50 years out of the way it. And yeah it's almost all true, I read the book and it was written by a historian who interviewed loads of the men who served in easy company, the characters who died – how and where all real… 🙁

theflatboy
    Free Member

you need to watch more than just two episodes, it's a series not two stand alone episodes.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Have you seen the film (it's in the box set) where the actors meet the soldiers they're portraying? I thought that was great, very moving but still lets you see them all as real people with a sense of humour (esp "Wild" Bill Guarnere)

davidrussell
    Free Member

It's about soldiers who cry. Dull.

I bet you'd cry if someone shelled the f*ck out of you for months.

Lifer
    Free Member

They're not characters btw

Geronimo
    Free Member

It is an excellent series.

The way the various characters from different backgrounds develop is what it is about.

As someone who knew family and friends who had been there and experienced similar things (jumping from a plane into D-day anyone?) it certainly made me think.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

anyone frome friends is usually an indicator of a sh!t film

I liked Jennifer Aniston in the Beak Up, it was hilarious lol Although to be fair, she was just the eye candy and Vince Vaughan was the funny one 😀

theflatboy
    Free Member

david schwimmer is quality in it as well, great character and perfect casting. especially as it all pans out.

Mackem

I bet you'd cry if someone shelled the f*ck out of you for months.

of course, but i dont think anyone would want to watch me do it.

Haze

Watched the box set about 3 times now, an excellent series.

As others have said, stick with it for a while – first few episodes are just setting the scene etc.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Brilliant stuff
    Am watching the Pacific on sky at the moment – excellent as well.

richmtb

Its probably the best war drama ever committed to film. The mini series format allows you to really get to know the main characters. If you aren't moved by the final episode you have a heart of stone

davidrussell
    Free Member

Well, I dont know about you but if i was a 19 year old kid 3000 miles from home pissing in my pants as 88's rained hell on me, i'd like to think that someone wouldn't describe my final moments before being blown to bits as dull.

Its not whether you think anyone would want to watch, its whether we should watch. Regardless of your stance on the war a lot of those guys went through hell, a lot more didn't make it back. Lest we forget.

sofatester
    Free Member

30000 miles from home

Need to check your geography davidrussell 😉

Apart from that a very good point +1

davidrussell
    Free Member

edited about 10s after i posted. 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Scwimmer's crap and ruins all the bits he's in.
    Ity takes time to develop, the characters grow and (IMO) you do get a feel for them, especially when the real guys appear and start talking. I think it's one of the best things that's been on TV, ever.

reminds me of The Boat – long, dull periods of nothing, building up to clautorophobic and terrifying action. the bits where nothng really happened just added to the action when it did happen.

hora
    Free Member

Stick with it. One 'problem' with BoB is that its produced/Directed by different people. The problem with the first two episodes is that its putting the scene together.

Stick with it. Its sublime.

Am watching the Pacific on sky at the moment – excellent as
    well.

I'm the opposite with Pacific, I didn't feel anything for the characters and the action was just relentless shooting. I switched off after episode3.

rkk01
    Free Member

one of the best things that's been on TV, ever

Agreed

reminds me of The Boat – long, dull periods of nothing, building up to clautorophobic and terrifying action. the bits where nothng really happened just added to the action when it did happen.

And again…

Detractors from the PS3 generation??

The Winters / Nixon double act is a good character play – and listening to Winters and the other survivors talk at the end of the mini series, well lets say that might just change your perspective.

None of the normal American gung ho glory shit.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It's mostly true?

It is a dramatisation of the true account written by Stephen Ambrose based on interviews with the actual soldiers involved.

If you can watch the pieces to camera by the vets. at the end of the episodes without a tear then you are a truly heartless cock.

hora
    Free Member

The Winters / Nixon double act

In the Ambrose B0B book how Winters is described as (almost coldly) killing Germans is alittle disturbing in a way.

backhander
    Free Member

Ity takes time to develop, the characters grow and (IMO) you do get a feel for them, especially when the real guys appear and start talking. I think it's one of the best things that's been on TV, ever.

Well put. You must watch the interviews with the survivors, it's brilliant.
    I agree with Hora about Pacific. I don't think enough time was put into getting to know the (few) personalities and as such, I don't feel for them as much as in BOB.
    Other than great television I think it's important that we know what these people went through for us.

rkk01
    Free Member

In the Ambrose B0B book how Winters is described as (almost coldly) killing Germans is alittle disturbing in a way

An easy comment to make with the separation of almost 70 years…

I talked a lot to my surviving older relatives as I grew up. One would talk about "kit" that he used, but would never talk about what he had done or people lost / injured. He was a pilot on Stilings, Lancs and Mossies, totally coldly killing a lot of German civilians.

Another was on destroyers – his flotilla was tasked with rescuing survivors from the Hood out of 1300 odd crew, his boat picked up none, sister ship picked up three – that was it.

My Grandmothers two broters both died when HMS Glorious was sunk. My grandfathers two brothers both ended up on the Burma Railway. one died when his hospital ship was sunk by a US submarine. War is a bit shit, and those involved don't get asked to make choices.

hora
    Free Member

Who was your 'favourite'? Mine was Buck Compton. All American sports hero who was popular but chewn up by the war.

I didn't know Mark Walberg's brother was Donnie/played Lipton!

organic355
    Free Member

I am glad that you all think it gets better, ill try and stick with it.

I am probably gonna have a hard time convincing the Mrs to watch anymore though but if I dont Ill just have to watch it on my own.

hora
    Free Member

organic355, you'll get to the stage where she thinks you are wierd.

Recently mrshora admitted that our dog had pee'd on the boxset. She didn't sound gutted about this act.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

IME, despite allegedly being more empathic than blokes, most lasses don't like the violence/war genre much.

They'd rather watch Eastenders or the shopping channel.

It annoys me personally, since things like BoB and Pacific are really the most important tools for educating modern generations about the great wars and all their horrors.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

IME, despite allegedly being more empathic than blokes, most lasses don't like the violence/war genre much.

They'd rather watch Eastenders or the shopping channel.
    Obviously this isn't the same for all females but my wife loved BoB as well as The Wire, Luther (best thing on the telly at the moment IMO) and can't bear the soaps.

She does like Bones and CSI etc that I find a bit shit, but certainly better than Eastenders.

konabunny
    Free Member

I agree with the suggestion to stick with it and I am not a war movie person. It does get better and it's "beautifully lit". Schwimmer drops out, thank god. I think he was a producer.

The Pacific is rubbish though.

Vince Vaughan was the funny one

Jesus wept.

Kuco

I enjoyed BOB.

Generation Kill is another good series. Not a hell of a lot of action but It shows the boredom and frustration some of the 1st recon went through in Iraq and some of the dialog is hilarious.

mrsflash
    Free Member

BoB is one of the best things there has every been on tv, fact.

montylikesbeer

I have just got it on blu-ray and a drop of that nice surround sound as well as "the big telly" and am blown away by it.

I enjoyed it on regular TV when it came out a few years ago, in high def and surround sound its even better, stick with it I say.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Band of Brothers – Whats all the fuss about?’ is closed to new replies.