• This topic has 30 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by scud.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Band of Brothers addiction
  • hora
    Free Member

Why is it that you pop one episode on…

Then you watch the lot?

bamboo
    Free Member

Have you watched pacific? Only just watched band of brothers myself, can’t wait to watch pacific now!

dknwhy

House of cards is the addiction in our house right now.

Daffy

The Pacific is poor in comparison to BoB IMO. If it’s good TV you’re after and you’re not a war buff, try “From The Earth to The Moon”.

legend
    Free Member

The Pacific is very good too. Band of Brother definitely trumps it though.

mogrim

I thought The Pacific got boring after a while, it seemed to lack variety – BoB was far better.

Northwind

Pacific isn’t as good as BoB but there’s no shame in that, not much TV is.

cranberry
    Free Member

I thought that Pacific was very slow in starting and that you really didn’t get into the characters the way that you did with BoB.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Band of Brothers is brilliant. Never got round to watching The Pacific but I will one day. The book of band of brothers is a good read too.

weare138
    Free Member

Day of Days and Carentanare great episodes. I couldn’t get into Pacific.

legend
    Free Member

cranberry – Member
    I thought that Pacific was very slow in starting and that you really didn’t get into the characters the way that you did with BoB.

Tbh, I think that had more to do with how grim it was over there rather than being a bad job with the storyline 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

I liked BoB, it’s no Wire/BB tho

xiphon
    Free Member

BoB and Pacific were both excellent.

Anyone watch Homeland, and just think “Major Winters”

cranberry
    Free Member

Tbh, I think that had more to do with how grim it was over there rather than being a bad job with the storyline.

I’m not sure – the book, With The Old Breed, by E.B. Sledge is good. If you have the time then read it rather than watching the series.

wallop

Nothing has come even close since. There has been some amazing TV produced, such as Generation Kill, but it’s not Band of Brothers.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I’ve read both the old breed by eb sledge and helmet for my pillow by bob leckie both are great books, but it’s mad just how inaccurate the series is according to the books it’s so called based on

trailmoggy
    Free Member

But yeah band of brothers is awesome

Alpha1653

Our instructors used Band of Brothers as training aids when discussing leadership in training. I’d never seen it before but then watched the lot in one go. I was exhausted by the end but that was a great day…

batfink
    Free Member

I think I’ve probably watched BoB 4 or 5 times now…… remains one of the best TV shows evar IMO.

On the other hand, I thought the Pacific was bobbins. You didn’t get to know the characters nearly as well, and they wen’t for a kind of “washed-out” istagrammy look, which did my head in after a while.

Northwind

Worth checking out Generation Kill if you haven’t already, quite a different approach but it’s a great series, and it’s good to know Tobias Beecher is doing well

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve read both the old breed by eb sledge and helmet for my pillow by bob leckie both are great books, but it’s mad just how inaccurate the series is according to the books it’s so called based on

Part of the problem is it’s a number of individual’s personal experiences and they’re not in the same unit so by necessity for time and story purposes they have to cut a few corners

Duffer
    Free Member

Our instructors used Band of Brothers as training aids when discussing leadership in training.

There are some good examples in a few war films. In ‘Saving Private Ryan’ for example, there’s a good demonstration of what happens when people aren’t allowed the freedom to act independently.

Link.

hora
    Free Member

I couldn’t get into Pacific- turned it off after the second episode. Should I retry?

atlaz
    Free Member

I liked it but it’s not paced like Band of Brothers. In the European theatre soldiers arrived and fought in Europe for long periods of time with leave between the battles. In the Pacific theatre there was a lot of sitting around, short periods of intense fighting and terror then a month on a ship to rest and refit so I think the pacing is probably a way to show that sort of thing; whether you like it is a different matter.

johnners
    Free Member

I couldn’t get into Pacific- turned it off after the second episode. Should I retry?

Pacific had high production values, backstory, action, context, all that good stuff. They just missed out having anyone you cared about, which was BoB’s greatest strength IMO.

Generation Kill is excellent, I’d recommend that over Pacific any day. Only 7 episodes too, Pacific outstayed its welcome by a fair few!

binners

I quite enjoyed Pacific

Its not a patch on Generation Kill though. If you’ve not seen that, you really really need too. Its bonkers! But the characters in it are superbly well developed. You do end up really caring what happens to them all. I’ve re-watched it a few times

yossarian
    Free Member

The Pacific has got its moments. The first few episodes are probably the weakest actually. The ones that deal with the assaults on Peleliu, Iwo Jima & Okinawa are pretty intense. I disagree about not caring about any of the characters as well.

hora
    Free Member

Right off to buy Generation Kill tonight – Cheers 😀

batfink
    Free Member

Its not a patch on Generation Kill though

I agree…. Generation Kill is as good as BoB IMO, have watched it through several times.

Any recommendations for films/telly about the Korean war? Don’t really know much about it. Apart from M*A*S*H of course.

Pigface
    Free Member

I only cared for Sledge and his gang, the journalist was unlikeable in my opinion. It didnt engage with me as much as BoB, having read the Generation Kill book will give the series a go.

scud
    Free Member

Managed to find Tour of Duty on DVD, all three series, reminds me of being a lad and trying to stay up to watch it and giving me a life long love of “Paint it Black” by the Rolling Stones.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Band of Brothers addiction’ is closed to new replies.