Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Band names people don't know they don't understand
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

REM stands for rapid eye movement and I think it's what your eyes do whilst you are dreaming

The really interesting bit would be if someone could explain why this was a clever or interesting name for REM to have specifically. If they had hit upon a different name ("Take That", "Michael Stipe And His Band", "Doctor Livesey's Snuff-Box" or something) would that have been less clever and interesting of them?

It's tricky to see that any of these are more than just a name, which happens to sound pleasing and requires an explanation. If that's right then I'm rather with Peter that the background to the name doesn't greatly matter, except as an interesting piece of fan trivia. 🙂

jasonm945
    Free Member

Joy Division was named after the ss prostitue wing in the Novel House of Dolls…
    New Order also has Nazi Connotations.
    Eurythmics – Heart Rythm.
    Thomson Twins – named after the Duo from the Tintin comics!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Talking Heads; named after Alan Bennet monologues, non?

Radiohead: named after a (not very good) Talking Heads song. I would have liked 'The Great Curve' or 'Dream Operator'.

Funeral For A Friend is also the opening synthtastic instrumental track on Elton John's 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'.

Super Furry Animals was lifted from a wierd japanese comic book.

I used to be the front'man' in a terrible band called Liquid Silk Explosion: comedy karma to anyone who remembers where we got that name from.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bassspine
    Free Member

Eurythmics are named after the dance tecnique of eurythmy. Not a medical diagnosis.

Edric64
    Free Member

I thought Steely Dan was NewYork slang for a dildo?

twang
    Free Member

Half Man Half Biscuit-named after the singer, who had biscuits instead of genitals…probably (made that up…;)

molgrips
    Free Member

the pod people had stiff little fingers, that's how you could tell they were aliens

Oh yeah! I saw that film! What was it called?

BoardinBob

Foo Fighters

tazzymtb

Fields of the Nephilim- named after the race of giants that were the offspring of angels and mankind in sumerian mythology that later arrived in the bible.

mudshark
    Free Member

I don't think REM originally meant anything to the band – just liked the name – though on an album they do mention Rapid Ear Movement.

Pigface
    Free Member

Motorhead : a speed freak as in Amphetamines.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL at "Talking Heads"

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL at "Talking Heads"

CountZero

Foo Fighter is the name USAF pilots gave to UFO's they were sent up to engage.
    Sisters Of Mercy
    Pooka

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

"Goats don't shave". I have no idea

stevenieve
    Free Member

Stiff Little Fingers – From a Vibrators song….

Their record label, Rigid Digits

jasonm945
    Free Member

T'pau named after a Vulcan revolutionary? in the Star Trek series!

vdubber67
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Anyone here know the genesis of Pearl Jam. They formed from the remnants of a one off album made in tribute to a mutual friend of the bands Mother Love Bone and Sound Garden, the former lead singer of Mother Love Bone was called Andrew Wood and his nickname was Dog. The tribut album is called 'Temple of the Dog'. If you're a Pearl Jam fan and don't know about this album seek it out as it's utterly brilliant.

Just gave it a go on Spotify and I thought it was pretty pants.
    Occasional flashes of better stuff, but it mainly sounded very dated and flat.

Sorry.

If you want to go deeper into the Pearl Jam history, also check out Malfunkshun (Andy Wood's previous band) and Green River (where various PJ members came from)

Seattle-tastic!

🙂

forlornhope
    Free Member

durutti column, manchester band and spanish civil war anarchist militia.
    scritti politti,yorkshire band and writings of italian marxist.

forlornhope
    Free Member

bauhaus 80s goth band and german design house.
    boards of canada,electro group and 70s canadian film maker.
    the bolshoi 80s band and soviet era ballet company.

forlornhope
    Free Member

jasonm945 – Member

T'pau named after a Vulcan revolutionary? in the Star Trek series!
    spocks mothers name.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Fugazi- American military slang for a *uck up

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yup, The Levellers are named after the revolutionary political party led by John Lilburne, Richard Overton, Thomas Prince & William Walwyn during the Civil Wars.
    Interestingly (to me anyway) Lilburne's tract 'An Agreement Of The People' is basically the first draft of the US Constitution – written over 100yrs earlier.
    Lilburne was the only man ever to have been tried for treason by BOTH sides during the Civil Wars and also the man credited with the first recorded defence by right of silence..

"I reserve the right of a free-born Englishman not to answer to interrogatories" – John Lilburne.

"The Kingdom shall not be settled so long as Lilburne is alive!" – Oliver Cromwell.

slimtubing
    Free Member

Re Guns n roses: a melange if you will of the LA guns and Hollywood roses. Not gay in the least!

chrispalmr
    Free Member

Spandau Ballet was the 'dance' when someone was executed by machine gun (Spandau being a make of same).

CountZero

Asobi Seksu: play sex, or sex without committment.

BillMC

Captain Bee Fart??

tazzymtb

sisters of mercy were named after a newspaper headline "man found dead in sisters of mercy convent"

tazzymtb

skyclad- the art of charging into battle in the nip

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Band names people don't know they don't understand’ is closed to new replies.