Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Band names people don't know they don't understand
  • samuri
    Free Member

Heaven 17 – A band mention in clockwork Orange although I didn't know until I read the book.

Why do we have to 'understand' anyway? Can't we just listen to the music, or is that just too mainstream?

Why can't we just have a thread without asking why we have to have a thread ?

The Corrs = Maybe an urban legend, but the band were being interviewed on the radio and the interviewer must have been working from a stock list of questions because he asked "Where did you all first meet ?"

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

UB40 = A WW2 German submarine, famed for the a cappella harmonies of it's crew.

I was about to go, "no, no, no…it was a form that you had to fill in….", then I read the rest.

I thought Dire Straits was just a reference to how flippin' broke they were when they were starting out. Is there something I don't know about Dire Straits?

Any advances on Steely Dan (and please know it, don't just google/wiki it)?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Maximo Park = Maximo Gomez Park in Havanna Cuba
    Siouxsie & the Banshees because Susan Janet Ballion & the Banshees sounded a bit crap

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That's, like, reeeaaaallly deeeeeep…..man….

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Steely Dan was an instrument of torture in either a Clockwork Orange or the Naked Lunch I forget which

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking why we have to understand the band name. Is it just so we seem cooler…?

sweepy
    Free Member

I'll not google any, and im not precious about music, I just like trivia.
    Someone give us steely dan then?
    Edit- gotta be quick round here)

BillMC

The Rolling Stones pre-dated the Bob Dylan track.

emac65
    Free Member

Spandau Ballet…………….

BoardinBob

Arab Strap

OK, to try to give a more serious reply, why try to understand anything ?
    If a band chooses a name with a meaning, then why not try to understand that meaning ?
    If the name was inspired by another band or a book, then maybe, if you like one, you will also like the other.

Anyway, I found this…
    http://library.thinkquest.org/4626/rock.htm
    …which kind of makes this thread redundant.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Any advances on Steely Dan

Steam powered giant metal d!ldo 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Deacon Blue is the name of a Steely Dan track.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Choclate Girl is the name of a Deacon Blue track

konabunny
    Free Member

The Rolling Stones pre-dated the Bob Dylan track.

A rolling stone gathers no moss, surely?

The Levellers are good guys. Saw 2-3 gigs in a row on a tour (not as a fan) and all of the gigs were sold out and *everyone* in the crowd seemed to have a great time. They also provided the Urban75 guys with their first modem (back when modems cost a lot of money) and they did a lot of work with Schnews (www.schnews.org.uk).

llama

Rolling Stones comes from a Muddy Waters track

llama

I met an italian who said he loved 'the bristol sound' and was a big fan of Porti Shed. Took me a while to figure out who he meant.

GrahamS

Anyone here know the genesis of Pearl Jam. They formed from the remnants of a one off album made in tribute to a mutual friend of the bands Mother Love Bone and Sound Garden, the former lead singer of Mother Love Bone was called Andrew Wood and his nickname was Dog. The tribut album is called 'Temple of the Dog'. If you're a Pearl Jam fan and don't know about this album seek it out as it's utterly brilliant.

Just gave it a go on Spotify and I thought it was pretty pants.
    Occasional flashes of better stuff, but it mainly sounded very dated and flat.

Sorry.

Sandwich

Van der Graaf Generator ( a bit of an acquired taste).

porterclough
    Free Member

Van der Graaf Generator

At a guess, are they named after a Van der Graaf generator? Cunning.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

arab strap — anyone know that one then ?

rOcKeTdOg

YEp, but it's not safe for work

Keeps u up longer supposedly

molgrips
    Free Member

New Model Army is indeed the name of Cromwell's army. So links there with the Levellers. Whom I saw on the next table to us in a pub in Oxford once a long time ago.

Now when I was a kid my sister liked Wet Wet Wet, and that is apparently a quote from some other song (forget who) that says 'my eyes were wet, wet with tears' and they thought wet wet was a bit short so they extended it. Crap, but that's the one I know.

I heard that the Stones got their name from the Dylan track, but it's also a long standing proverb (a rolling stone gathers no moss). That line also appears in a Buddy Holly track called Early in the Morning.. don't ask me how I know that, as Buddy Holly died a long long time ago 😉 before I was born.

emac65
    Free Member

Stiff Little Fingers – From a Vibrators song….

mudshark
    Free Member

The Mothers of Invention – 'cos Mothers was deemed as being short for something rude – so by necessity they became the Mothers of Invention….

Monster Magnet – from a Zappa track

Bob Dylan – from Dylan Thomas probably

Captain Beefheart from what his Uncle said what 'meat' looked like 'looks just like a beef heart'

AC/DC – not because of liking boys and girls they say…

Queen – because Freddie was probably

nickc

I thought Dire Straits was just a reference to how flippin' broke they were when they were starting out. Is there something I don't know about Dire Straits?

I understood the name came from one of Mark Knopflers' teachers commentating that if he carried on playing the guitar rather than studying he'd end up "in dire straights"

U2 obviously from the spyplane, did I hear a story that they were going to call themselves SR71, or did I make that up?

Asobi Seksu, any-one?

stumpy01

Guns N Roses….

I as told it was slang for male & female privates, respectively…..

BoardinBob

Guns N Roses….

I as told it was slang for male & female privates, respectively…..

IIRC it was an amalgamation of the band members previous bands. LA Guns and another one I can't remember but it had Rose in the name although it may be a spin off from Axl.

On that topic, anyone know how he came up with Axl Rose 😉

roper
    Free Member

"Showaddywaddy"
    nuff said

BoardinBob

If not already mentioned – Led Zep

So named because Jimmy Page played Keith Moon some early demos and Keith commented that the music was far to heavy and it would go down like a lead balloon.

mavisto
    Free Member

Black Sabbath – A horror film with Boris Karloff

grievoustim
    Free Member

Dexy's midnight runners – a reference to the amphetamine Dexadrine which was popular with Northern Soul Types

grievoustim
    Free Member

The "Eagles of Death Metal" is quite a good one

The band were in a bar – where a very drunk man was moshing to the jukebox playing "Winds of Change" by the Scorpians

He got heckled for this – to which the drunk took objection – insisting that The Scorpians were "Death Metal"

Someone in the band comes back with the line "If the Scorpians are Death Metal, they're the Eagles of Death Metal"

grievoustim
    Free Member

haven't read the whole thread – so sorry if this is done already

Bu "Moloko" is the milky drink the Droogs have in the club in "A Clockwork Orange"

grievoustim
    Free Member

rkk01 – Member
    I have always wondered which is the correct genesis of

REM

REM stands for rapid eye movement and I think it's what your eyes do whilst you are dreaming

kevonakona
    Free Member

To answer the above Q:

axl rose is an anagram of oral sex

Which sums up a lot of what i think about the man himself.

tony_m
    Free Member

Motorhead = speedfreak (as in amphetamines, rather than driving quickly… 😉 ).

bassspine
    Free Member

Stiff Little Fingers – From a Vibrators song….

the pod people had stiff little fingers, that's how you could tell they were aliens

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Band names people don't know they don't understand’ is closed to new replies.