Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bananas are they………..
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

…………a good pre-commute snack?

I ride 24km to work each morning and to maximise sleeping time 😆 I thought a nice quick snack before I set off would be a good idea – I then have breakfast at my desk while my computer is booting up.

So I thought to myself a banana may be a good idea. I haven’t eaten one for years after a bad experience as a child – very mushy one that tasted gopping put me off them for around 28 years!

Are they a good choice?

They don’t seem to sit heavy on my stomach and actually taste quite nice

mmb
    Free Member

stacks of energy in em and apparently the potassium helps with cramps or so i’m told.

nicko74

Ye-es, but 24km is quite a way on only one banana. Porridge is apparently very good – slow release carbs, allegedly.

spacemonkey

I then have breakfast at my desk while my computer is booting up.

Get an older machine and eat a bigger breakfast.

steve_b77
    Free Member

spacemonkey – thats after the ride, not before 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ye-es, but 24km is quite a way on only one banana

I would disagree with that, mainly because lots of people think they have to be eating all the time. My commute is 20 miles and I do that on a slice of toast and a coffee in the morning and a banana before I leave on the way home. To trim away excess fat I do a few weeks of no breakfast pre ride and have something when I get to work.

Try it it’s not that far and you may well survive.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The rides pretty easy to be fair, it’s in London afterall so it’s not exactly hilly let alone undulating 😉

Swalsey
    Free Member

Ye-es, but 24km is quite a way on only one banana. Porridge is apparently very good – slow release carbs, allegedly.

You don’t need to eat for that distance. When I started commuting 20miles each way, I would have a small bowl of crunchie nut before hand, and that was fine, but I now do 30 miles and don’t eat until I’ve arrived and showered. It makes much more difference to eat properly throughout the day/week to fuel you up properly (read: eat carbs).

winterfold
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need to eat for that distance but one banana is a pretty good pre commute brekky in my experience.

The humble nana remains the ultimate energy food. Excellent easy to open biodegradeable wrapper, tasty, easy to eat and digest, complex sugars, cheap, fair trade, organic – even a bit of potassium for the old chap

Marvellous

nicko74

I stand corrected, clearly I need to MTFU 😉

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Porridge with a mushed up banana and honey in. Washed down with a proper coffee. Then I don’t eat till lunch time but get plenty of fluids down my neck.

Keva
    Free Member

I eat a bannana and drink a cup of tea before going for a morning swim or run. Keeps me going for an hour and a half before I get to work for a proper breakfast.

Kev

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bananas are they………..’ is closed to new replies.