Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ban the wearing of slippers? Risk assessment and the human mind!
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

I see the various helmet debates are back (not just on here) due to the unfortunate Natasha Richardson. Its made me think about the strange psychology of humans. A short while back, some Health and Safety stats were released which said the biggist cause of accidents or deaths in the home was the wearing of slippers as they tend to cause people to trip up. This results in broken bones, bruising, head injury from impacts, falls down stairways etc. Many of these injuries are very serious – yet I see no major campaign to encorage people to wear alternative footwear, or to get some kind of design standard which makes slippers safer. The shops are still full of bulky designs with trip hazzards of floppy ears on etc.

I wonder why people feel motivated to get so excited over a tiny percentage of sports people not wearing helmets, yet are happy to ignore frequent risks to a much bigger percentage of people by ignoring the biggest cause of granny and the kids falling down the family stairs.

People set such odd priorities.

thomthumb
    Free Member

risk perception.

it has nothing to do with facts.

davidrussell
    Free Member

yup, some poor child last week was killed by a falling TV, no mass debates on getting rid of our pixellated friends though is there?

DezB
    Free Member

Slippers are bloody dangerous. I kicked something in anger and broke my toe the other week.
    No slippers – wouldn’t have kicked it; shoes – wouldn’t have broken my toe!

Ban them!

dr_death
    Free Member

They are called slippers for a reason… all the little old dears with broken hips are wearing slippers, on their lino floors!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Ban the wearing of slippers? Risk assessment and the human mind!’ is closed to new replies.