Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Ban airbrushing, says MP
  • eldridge
    Free Member

Mp says ban airbrushing

Setting aside the curiously antiquated terminology and using Photoshop instead, where would you start?

I'd fill in the gaps between the teeth, reduce the amount of upper jaw gum on display, introduce some hint of lower teeth, take the food out of the hamster cheeks, add a bit of interest to the hair, take the eyebrows up a bit and add a hint of an arch, move the eyes closer together, remove the oiliness from the skin

That should do it

Airbrushing FFS 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'd use a paper bag.

dooge
    Free Member

Numpty. Why cant MP's keep their blooming noses out of the topics they know nothing about and worry about some real issues. There are sooooooooooo many things that could be changed to make an impact to young peoples lifes, especially the multitude of things other than airbrushing that could be done to change the 'confidence crisis' that supposedly exists.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Unemployment on the up as munters forced to learn new skills!
    I'll have fries with that please.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

linking in with this pair

Linky

She's after publicity for her campaign… he's…well, he's after publicity

willard

Amongst other things…

Good going to him I say. Give the lass as much publicity as she can take.

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

well done son, i doff my cap to you

coffeeking
    Free Member

well done son, i doff my cap to you

<pedant>It's "doth" by the way, I'm fairly sure.</pedant>

She doesn't need airbrushing though, she's a fine shape. Unfortunately I cant say the same thing about the first linky!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nope – its doff as in remove, not doth as in do

Stoner
    Free Member

ck – definitely "Doff" (to undress, take off one's hat) not "Doth" (from Do")

BigDummy
    Free Member

Don't agree on your pedantry coffeeking…

Opik is a legend. A man who has built a parliamentary career out of warning of the dangers of asteroid strikes and appearing in public with gorgeously inappropriate girls. 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

I withdraw my pedantic comment, I am clearly wrong. Humble apologies.

From Hatsuk!:
    Doff: The action of partially removing a hat by males as a sign of respect

mtbfix

The point that she makes is not without its value. Airbrushing can't do much for the self image of most young girls. However Miss Swinson was on the TV this morning in 3" heels which would make her legs look better and her look taller to the casual observer. This also strikes me as cheating.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Known in Westminster for the attention she pays to her appearance, Miss Swinson’s receipts contain a number of items relating to her personal care. They included a “tooth flosser” costing £19.10, which the Commons fees office rejected, along with a set of “toothbrush refills”.

A few months previously, however, and in an apparent breach of the rules that prevented claims for personal items, she was reimbursed for an electric toothbrush and hairdryer.

Also among her receipts was a £27.94 bill from Boots, which included a £5 eyeliner, a lip liner for the same price, and a £12.00 “R&M Eye Kit”.

enfht
    Free Member

My local airbrush artist says we should ban MP's, so who's right and who's wrong?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Would love to see the "airbrush" bill to make Mr Opik look normal.

jackthedog
    Free Member

For once, this is a bit of suggested banning I agree with.

In my line of work I'm occassionally involved with this kind of thing, and you wouldn't believe some of the 'enhancemements' we are requested to make to pictures of certain people before they're allowed into the public domain.

It's quite sickening.

IanMunro
    Free Member

What I want to know is why Lembit has replaced his right leg with a bath plug.

coffeeking
    Free Member

What I want to know is why Lembit has replaced his right leg with a bath plug.

😆

BigDummy
    Free Member

Has anyone studied the effects of "other people actually being thinner and prettier than them" on the self-image of the nation's women?

I'm all for relentless and intrusive media and artistic censorship, but if we have to undertake a national campign of facial disfigurement, force-feeding and public masectomies before the fragile egos of the nation's unattractive women will be fully protected from feelings of inadequacy I might have to draw a line.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I don’t know, a lot of photos in magazines now are veering dangerously into the uncanny valley – models are starting to look more like CG videogame characters. :/ It’s amazing (albeit slightly creepy) what they can do with Photoshop nowadays. Always found the Dove video against it interesting –

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U

A lthough Dove aren’t really in a position to comment, given that they’re also in the business of selling products on the basis of people’s insecurities and stupid made-up science words.

I think it’s particularly bad when actresses/models/singers get ‘shopped against their wishes – Kylie, Keira Knightly and Kate Winslet (must be something about names beginning with K) have all complained/taken legal against against it.

BigDummy
    Free Member

stupid made-up science words

Beautifully put. 🙂

nickc

Just done a straw poll of the women in my office, most of whom seem to be variously addicted to trashy celeb mags and those fashion/advice ones. 100% of them believe that most pictures of the women are "enhanced" in some way, 100% also understand that looking like them is pretty much impossible, and 100% are not angst ridden about it either.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a vague hunch either that your office is not representative of the nation at large, or that the questions you have asked have not drilled down to the anxieties against which this proposal attempts to protect us. 😉

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Well I prefer this version of the Dove film:
    clickety

nickc

You could be right BD, I'll ask them about it…Stand by

nickc

Sadly all of them appear to be well adjusted and boringly free from airbrushed based anxieties…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Ban airbrushing, says MP’ is closed to new replies.