Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bamboo socks
  • cinnamon_girl

Am very impressed with them for riding although they’re not cycle-specific. Feet have stayed nice and cool. 🙂 Unfortunately the pattern doesn’t look too good thanks to overgrown trails.

mactheknife

Yep, i liked mine until the good lady nicked them all. 😀

maccruiskeen

Just buy viscose or rayon socks – exactly the same stuff only cheaper

cinnamon_girl

Rayon? Does that exist these days? How is it the same please?

I am so pleased with them, they stay soft after washing and no shrinkage. Also bought some ankle ones with a bike motif on them. 8)

oldboy
    Free Member

.Rayon? Does that exist these days?

Bamboo fibre can be turned into viscose (rayon) in the same way that any cellulosic fibre can – wood pulp,for example. Bamboo fibre in its unadulterated form has many useful properties when used in a garment. However, producing viscose fibre is not an environmentaly friendly process and its production has conveniently been moved to the Third World. If you are purchasing bamboo viscose it isn’t really bamboo at all.

oldboy
    Free Member

Just buy viscose or rayon socks – exactly the same stuff only cheaper

Correct, see above! ^^^^^^

maccruiskeen

Rayon? Does that exist these days?

yes – but now its called Bamboo

Bamboo fibre in its unadulterated form has many useful properties when used in a garment

such as corsets – you wouldn’t want to make socks out of bamboo fibre. A lot of the clothing sold as ‘bamboo’ (pretty much any clothing you’d think to wear next to your skin or on a bike) is made from a compound extracted from bamboo with nasty environment polluting and gender-bending chemicals to create a plastic that can be spun in a similar fashion or nylon. You can make it from any woody material, whether you start with bamboo or anything else is immaterial – you couldn’t tell the difference. In fact I doubt you could prove of disprove that any viscose garment had been bamboo once. And given the sudden popularity, and therefore the mark up, of viscose-renamed-as-bamboo your really have to wonder if every carrying a cardboard and potato print eco-swing-ticket really was panda food once.

oldboy
    Free Member

Bamboo fibre in its unadulterated form has many useful properties when used in a garment
    such as corsets – you wouldn’t want to make socks out of bamboo fibre. A lot of the clothing sold as ‘bamboo’ (pretty much any clothing you’d think to wear next to your skin or on a bike) is made from a compound extracted from bamboo with nasty environment polluting and gender-bending chemicals to create a plastic that can be spun in a similar fashion or nylon. You can make it from any woody material, whether you start with bamboo or anything else is immaterial – you couldn’t tell the difference. In fact I doubt you could prove of disprove that any viscose garment had been bamboo once. And given the sudden popularity, and therefore the mark up, of viscose-renamed-as-bamboo your really have to wonder if every carrying a cardboard and potato print eco-swing-ticket really was panda food once.

I thought we were in some sort of agreement here in respect of viscose, and the misrepresentation of bamboo as an eco- friendly fibre in its viscose form. However, I hope you might agreed that bamboo fibre in its natural form has certain anti-microbial properties.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Yep, just as sweaty as old-school man-mades IME. Not a patch on cool-max or Merino. Are very soft and comfy if the conditions are exactly right, though.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

is it better not to be using cotton for you viscose though?
    massively water intensive. dissapearance of that inland sea in uzbekistan etc etc.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

those socks are great tho, for wearing that is.

maccruiskeen

However, I hope you might agreed that bamboo fibre in its natural form has certain anti-microbial properties.

I’ve never come across a garment made of bamboo fibre ‘in its natural from’, only viscose labelled as bamboo, so I can’t really comment.

What labelling viscose as bamboo has achieved (all be it through a marketing bullshitter exercise) is made viscose clothing available to blokes, it was always more of a ladies wear material. It does indeed make nice socks and quite nice tshirts but its massively over-charged for given that viscose is more typically used as cheap substitute/filler for cotton

welshfarmer

Aldi bamboo socks, 3 pairs for 3.99. I thought that was cheap enough???

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bamboo socks’ is closed to new replies.