Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bamboo Bike Research!
  • Racingpanda
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

I am a mechanical engineering graduate at Oxford Brookes University. I am currently doing some further research to gain a better understanding of the bicycle industry and investigate the feasibility and production methods of a bamboo bike. This is a continuation of my dissertation project to design, build and test a cross country bamboo mountain bike frame. The project was a success and the university have some initial funding for further research into the concept.

As part of this study we are conducting a survey to help us better understand the biking industry, consumer demands, ideals and thoughts on the concept. The survey is pretty short and shouldn’t take much more than five minutes of your time.

You can find the survey here:
    Click here to take survey

We are interested in all ages and abilities, so get your friends and family to fill it out too!

Any questions or feedback please let me know though the forum thread or to jonathan_biddulph@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks!

Jonny

pedalhead
    Free Member
    BigBikeBash
    Free Member

URL link fails for me

pedalhead
    Free Member

I've completed the survey. I reckon the frame looks ace.

LHS
    Free Member

Interesting project. Potentially of interest* is the bamboo collection my family have donated in Denver.

Denver Bamboo Collection

*but probably not!!

rudedog
    Free Member

done

yunki
    Free Member

done.. I love it..

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Theres already a company making bamboo bikes. I think the UK importer works out of Hebden Bridge – sure they sell (or did sell) them in Blazing Saddles. But they're more of a town bike IIRC.

turboferret

Looks great, just completed your survey.

Best of luck with the project,

Cheers, Rich

Racingpanda
    Free Member

Thank you guys and girls. Amazed by the quick response. And thanks for reposting the link.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Survey completed. I'm very interested in performance bamboo bikes, these guys come from a similar background. Good luck!

juan
    Free Member

Not sure I am relevant but done 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Very hard to answer half the questions as they rely on you knowing the product. Ultimately if it's a comparable material giving comparably strength and durability then it's a good thing. If it's sustainable but a bit weak/flexy then I don't care how many tonnes of CO2 it saves, I won't be riding it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Prices on those boobicycles are **** mental, I'd never go anywhere near them for that price.

warpcow
    Free Member

That was my final comment. I put that I wouldn't pay more than about £500 (for any frame), and from little I know about the production of bamboo bikes, they take a ridiculous of time and effort just to grow the right shape of tubes. It's a nice idea, but doesn't seem commercially viable outside of crazy nicheness.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

oesn't seem commercially viable outside of crazy nicheness.

I guess that is why he posted on STW 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bamboo Bike Research!’ is closed to new replies.