Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ballpark cost for installing a passyfier vent?
  • ambientcoast
    Free Member

Afternoon.

The tenant in my flat has just called the letting agent to alert them to a damp/slightly mouldy spot in the corner of one of the bedrooms. The agent (who is generally really good) has said that their builder will have a look but it is likely to be a case of installing a passyfier vent (I’ll never believe that’s the right spelling of that word!), and they’ll get back to me ASAP with a cost.

As I know absolutely nada about this kind of thing, can any of you lot give me a rough idea of what it generally costs to install one of these vents – just so I’m aware of potential costs before they come back to me.

Ta!

nixie

Tell them to stop drying clothes on the radiators and to open the windows.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Aye, I’m already bearing that in mind, but this has always been a bit of a problem spot.

Before the beginning of this year, the flat had been empty for the best part of 2 years (long story) and it was still occasionally a tad damp in that corner – which is actually inside a built-in cupboard – during long spells of wet weather. With it being inside a cupboard, I assume it isn’t ever going to get the ventilation it needs.

Anyone got any suggestions on rough costs?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Get the roof or outside wall fixed – whichever is leaking.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Get the roof or outside wall fixed – whichever is leaking.

Not entirely sure either are leaking. It’s the ground floor of an old terraced house, and the upstairs has had a brand new roof in the last 18 months. It’s also not wet enough inside for there to be a ‘leaky’ wall. It’s basically a cold exterior wall that doesn’t get any ventilation on the interior wall surface due to it being inside a built-in cupboard.

And for the THIRD time… anyone got any suggestions on rough costs? ;o)

midlifecrashes

To install a pacifier vent and make good would cost me £22.75. There would be approx 1hr labour time doing it and I would use a core drill and sealant gun which I already own.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Aces. That’s what I was after.

Thanks.

midlifecrashes

https://www.permagard.co.uk/condensation-control/perma-vent-standard.html

It’s just a pipe with grilles at each end, i.e. a vent. The pacifier bit is in supposedly keeping draughts out and allowing water vapour to pass through. So it has a sheet or pad of material in there. Similar stuff to the membranes in most recent roofs, vapour passes through, draughts and proper water held back. Drill hole with big core drill (same one as for tumble dryer vents), patch up any chipped off bits with filler, insert tube and seal up with a tube of brown frame sealant which costs £1.75 ish. The grilles will need a screw in each corner too if you want to do the job right.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ballpark cost for installing a passyfier vent?’ is closed to new replies.