Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ball of foot and pedal spindle?
  • earbyphil
    Free Member

General question for clipless users MTB and Road.
    Where is your ball of the foot in relationship to the pedal axle?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Mine’s directly over it.

Although I have heard it said that you should have the ball of your foot slightly in front of the pedal spindle.

But that really seems like a bit of a wrong ‘un to me..

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Directly above it.

sam_underhill

Directly above for me. I mark my shoes with a pen where the centre of my big toe joint it. Then you’ve got something to use as a reference when fitting the cleat.

BigJohn

I used to put my cleats right at the front of the slots but when my ankle started to get a bit achey on the rough stuff last year I moved them all the way to the back.

The ankle has stopped aching and I don’t notice a lot of difference to my pedalling efficiency.

The leaflets that come with the shoes say forward for power, back for comfort.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mostly above, but I have been told & found that moving your shoe forward a bit lessens calf-tightness.

When in Cons etc about town I tend to place the pedal between the ball and the tips of my toes…easier to grip!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

With flats – where ever i want it to be 🙂

Macavity
    Free Member

Ball of foot over pedal spindle is one of cyclings inexplicable fashions.
    As Andy Pruitt says in his book Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists, there has been no good worthwhile studies or research into the subject.

_tom_
    Free Member

I have it slightly in front of the spindle. Having it directly over gave me foot cramps and pins & needles.

Macavity
    Free Member
    jedi

for flats, the axel is behind the ball of the big toe

stratobiker
    Free Member

Slightly in front here…possibly a function of big feet.

slightly back for me going up hills whilst seated, as it helps the foot to push forward on the pedel 🙂 http://www.joinourride.com

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

h4hyorkshirecyclechallenge

Youve had about 4 posts relating to this link. Are you spamming us?

As for pedal / cleat position – and mtbing for just a few years- I prefer the ball of my foot slightly forward of common recommendation. Dunno if that helps.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ball of foot and pedal spindle?’ is closed to new replies.