Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ball bearings: Chrome or Stainless Steel?
  • clodhopper
    Free Member

I’m refurbishing a couple of old bikes for friends (typical sat in a damp cellar all winter and only used when it gets sunny type situation), and on stripping the headsets, hubs etc, most of the ball bearings have got very rusty and/or pitted, so I’m just going to order a load of new ones in each size and replace the lot. Bearing races all seem ok actually; only one rear wheel might need replacing due to the wrong sized balls being used (bike is a Pandora’s box of bodges). Other than that, neither bike is particularly a challenge.

I’m a bit confused between Chrome and Stainless balls; which are better for this purpose? Apparently Chrome ones are harder, is this better for the given application? I would have assumed Stainless would help prevent rust (they will of course be smothered in good quality grease), but would Chrome actually be better in terms of longevity?

Over to the experts…

clodhopper
    Free Member

Is there really nobody who’s interested in my balls? 🙁

Dibbs
    Free Member

Chrome, good quality grease (maybe waterproof?).
    Stainless aren’t as hard.

johnners
    Free Member

Chrome are better but fit stainless. It doesn’t sound like they’re looked after well. Or used enough that the hardness of chrome would matter before the rust sets in again.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Found some stainless balls from an old headset that I can use. The bikes will be left out in the rain so preventing rust is probably a priority. The rear wheel was actually ok; it was a weird misshapen cone that was causing the problem. Seems to have come out of the factory with a skewiff bearing surface. Fortunately, whoever did the wheel previously, set it up so there was quite a bit of play, and this seems to have prevented damage to the other races. Had it been done up properly, it would almost certainly have caused significant damage to the whole hub. Replaced both cones with handy spares, and wheel is now spinning very smoothly. 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be too bothered with SS. Rust can be avoided with good waterproof grease like marine grease, and a bit of care and maintenance, plus avoid jet washing anywhere near bearings. Also, constant use keeps rust at bay. Sitting there unused in humid or damp conditions and it’ll rust up.

Chrome with good grease should hold up longer.

But yeah, if they’re going to be sitting out in the rain then maybe SS. Though the races may not be SS so could still rust there. Other things are going to rust too if not used much.

Or, you could go ceramic. Less grease needed. The balls won’t rust (the races might though). Lasts longer. Though been using them on jockey wheels and find they lock up at times from tiny bits of grit. I have to pull them apart, flush and clean, then they’re fine again. But still better than the stock SRAM jockeys which once seized up they’re knackered and no amount of cleaning gets them spinning again.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

How often do you change/service your bearings?

Stainless if you leave them a long time and not jumping or ride in the wet.

Chrome if you want burly strength and service them.

Most riders wouldn’t notice.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“plus avoid jet washing”

Believe me, neither of these bikes have ever been cleaned properly. One has remains from a Saxon burial stuck to it. 🙄

I’ve packed some good quality grease (Silkolene) in there. Should do a decent job of keeping water at bay for a while.

“Or, you could go ceramic.”

I saw some ceramic bearings when looking for suppliers. The value of the bikes would be doubled or tripled if I installed ceramic bearings. 😀 But what, if any, advantages do ceramic bearings actually offer, in the application of bicycles? Do they justify the considerable extra cost?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ceramic mainly just satisfies a feeling you’ve got some nice expensive kit on there 😀

But I do feel they last longer. I’ve only used them for jockey wheels really and was after just frustration at how short SRAM jockey bearings last and how easily they seize up and die. Was looking at CNC’d vented jockeys and advice was the ceramics were longer lasting so went with them. They do seem to last longer for me, but need cleaning occasionally. But yeah, not cheap 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ball bearings: Chrome or Stainless Steel?’ is closed to new replies.