• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Robz.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Bali recommendations please (12 hours before Mrs B. books a package)
  • bodgy
    Free Member

Annoyingly, my brother-in-law has arranged his Hong Kong wedding for the back end of July. Really stupidly expensive sort of a wedding, and not well timed because if we want to turn it into an extended holiday (what with already being on the opposite side of the planet) pretty much everywhere in the region is hot/raining/humid.

Bali seems to be relatively unaffected by the monsoon/typhoons at that time of year. We want to spend 8 – 10 days there.

Mrs B has found a company called http://www.rickshawtravel.co.uk that provide a ethically sourced itinerary.

Have any of you lovely folk had any experience of them? Or any top tips?

Before Mrs B books it in the morning?

Thanks in advance, folks.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Avoid Kuta at all costs….think Blackpool but full of pissed up Aussie’s. I wouldn’t book a package at all, just sort stuff when you’re there. £10 per night will get you an okay homestay, £30 will get you a really nice homestay akin to an upmarket B and B over here. Ubud has quite a bit of stuff to do, pretty touristy but still fun. Sanor is a chilled place by the beach. The Gilli Islands are good too.

durhambiker
    Free Member

When I went we had a few nights staying in Sanur. Didn’t do much there but we did get picked up to go and do a guided bike tour near Ubud which was interesting (just resist the sales pitch that is the tour of the coffee plantation…) with a good feed at the end of it. After that we went on to Tulamben which hasn’t got much going for it if you’re not into scuba diving, although we did finish off with a few days just down the road in a lovely little resort, which I would have enjoyed immensely if I wasn’t stuck in bed feeling like death after bursting an ear drum.

Robz
    Free Member

I loved Bali. It’s mental busy in the south but the beaches, landscape and people make it worth it.

If you want to go crazy I can thoroughly recommend the 4 Seasons resort in Jimbaran. Amazing beach club with great food. Even if you don’t stay there go rent a daybed and spend a day eating and drinking. Quite good value too (the beach club – Sundara, not the hotel, that’s expensive as ****)

El Kabron is a great bar for a sunset meal/drinks.

Go and eat roast suckling pig at Ibu Oka in Ubud and do a cycle tour from the volcanos. All downhill on road and death trap bikes but it’s a great way to see real Bali.

There are millions of Air B&Bs too. I stayed in an amazing one in Jimbaran that came with a pool and brilliant housekeeper/breakfast chef/host included for not much money.

I would avoid Kuta and Nusa Dua. Very generic faceless resorts.

If returning I would base myself in Ubud and Jimbaran/Ullawatu.

Some fantastic beaches in Ullawatu. Padang Padang and Binging beach are both beautiful but can be very busy.

Getting around is a nightmare by the way. You have to take taxis everywhere. Bluebird taxis have a meter and are cheap and reliable. All other companies (who drive identical blue cars) are rip off merchants that you need to haggle senseless. You can get drivers and private cars for the day for not much cash if you want to do a trip somewhere.

Do not let anyone take you to the Blue Marlin or similar restaurants on Jimbaran beach. Tourist traps. Do some homework on where to eat and you will be rewarded with some amazing food.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Bali recommendations please (12 hours before Mrs B. books a package)’ is closed to new replies.