Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Balham based rider looking for others who head out to explore Dorking trails
  • jmaking
    Free Member

Hi
    My name is Julian, I’m 32, and live in Balham, London. I’ve been commuting using a mtb for years now, and always wanted to escape the Big Smoke and hit the trails!
    So, last wknd, I went up to the Glentress trails centre just South of Edinburgh with some uni friends and had an absolutley epic wknd! 🙂
    So, I’m super keen on heading down to Dorking at the wknds now and practicing my techniques!
    Are there any groups of beginners/intermediates that head out there?
    Cheers,
    Jules

Cheezpleez

Check out Nirvana Cycles in Westcott, they do a variety of rides. Or come out with us on a Weds night – we start at 6.30ish from Nirvana. Not beginners (mainly old gits actually) but happy to show you around. Failing that, mail me and I’m sure we can fix something up for a weekend

mandog

Yeah check out their website for the ride schedule. Sunday 11 am roll is a good ride. They do some cracking deals on bikes too.

popstar
    Free Member

Seek an open group – London calling – on Facebook. Regular Sunday warriors having a laugh around.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Gateway to the South, eh?

Or check the muddy moles website for sunday rides.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Gateway to the South indeed. Fond memories for me as my Grandparents lived there for 50 years.

Nirvana rides are great and they encourage everyone but I wouldn’t say they are beginners/early intermediate rides, certainly not the ones I’ve done. As above London Calling or Muddy Moles, @cheezpleez is a nice invite but your first Surrey Hills trail ride in the dark ? It would certainly be epic.

There are a few companies who do guided rides which can be a short cut to the area (at a price) but with some google research (eg looking on Strava) and an OS map you can plan your own adventure.

My email is in my profile, drop me a note for more info

jmaking
    Free Member

Hey guys

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies and suggestions, it’s really appreciated.

Soz for the delay in responding, but I thought I’d get notified if anyone replied, so I’ve only just seen all your comments now!

I did do some research and came across the Nirvana cycle rides, so plan to go along to one of their rides in the new year. Also found a club called ‘London Bike Hash’ which sounds really interesting as you follow a trail of flour on the ground!

Oh, and I booked another wknd to Edinburgh in late January!

Thanks again guys and happy riding!!! 🙂

P.s should I buy a full susser? (even tho I don’t really need one and live in London?!)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Giant Anthem X or Trance X would be a nice bet, Nirvana used to sell Giants so might be a good idea to look in there – they do test rides so check if they have one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Balham based rider looking for others who head out to explore Dorking trails’ is closed to new replies.