• This topic has 93 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Stu.
Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Balerno – Nail Trail and thereabouts
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

Can someone help me out here, my knowledge of the Pentlands is Threpmuir carpark…..and, um, that’s about it.

Anyone got a googlemap link or something to give me an idea of some trails, I’m sick of going out on the bike with no idea of where i’m going and whether it’ll take me round in a loop or not

Cheers

Northwind

pixelmix – Member

“Chocolate Chute?”

Stick this into google maps
    55.890989,-3.319804

It’s a wiggly slightly rooty bit that ends up in a rooty chute with random little steps.

robgarrioch

an idea of some trails

This old thread might be of some use BobaFatt; I’m sure you’ve picked up the local feelings on responsible riding, as some of the trails highlighted are best left alone unless dry / frozen.

bigjim

Is the dreghorn stuff the woodlands by the barracks? There used to be some amazingly high north shore hidden away in there towards the bypass, with some serious drops to ground, and a whole bunch of jumps, that we found when I worked for the cooncil. The MoD bulldozed them though! Not ridden through there for years, some cracking trails but was very overgrown with Rubus.

Walked in the pentlands at the weekend and the trails in Bonaly woods were looking good although very hard to make out in the snow – the bikey tracks had been well ridden though.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Cheers Northwind. I’ve never ridden that wee little path, and not walked it for about ten years. I’ll need to have a short detour next time I’m pedalling up the Water of Leith to my parent’s house (which is handily a few minutes away).

Northwind

It’s worth a look. Only downer about it is that it’s not really en route to anything, for me it’s usually a push-and-ride up then back down. But it’s fairly entertaining in the wet and the top bit’s lovely and swoopy.

pixelmix
    Free Member

It’s a short detour along the Lymphoy track from the WoL I suppose (which is not particularly interesting at that section anyway). I normally cut up Waulkmill Loan if I’m dropping in to the parents’ for coffee, so I’ll sneak it in to my next ride there. Always keen to find an extra few hundred yards of singletrack. Thanks.

robgarrioch

Finally got out for a spin today after much baby-handling / point scoting (?). The snow’s much nicer to ride this time, nicely packed up Puke, down Phantoms and up Maidens, & descending Scalextric was fun.

Poor choice was returning over Harbour Hill quad track, proper deep drifts on the north side. Shoulders are feeling the effects of the rigid fork now though…

Northwind

This is the correct amount of snow isn’t it, not like that last lot. Nail Trail was on fantastic form yesterday, which meant that when I did ride into a tree for no reason at all I was doing it at excessive speed as well 😳 Lovely day out though.

Oh, we were talking about chocolate chute earlier- the bottom of it is a huge block of ice like a little glacier, cunningly hidden under snow, and generally pretty alarming and non-fun. So watch that one. It’s ice from the last lot of snow I think.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

corstorphine hill was a lot of fun today!

13thfloormonk

I thought Nail Trail would be in condition, wish I’d made it out that far 😥

Dreghorn and Mortonhall were great, but I think its thawing already so they could be decidedly iffy now…

bigjim

I had a terrible time yesterday, planned to go up howden glen but the snow was so fine, slippy and drifty I just couldn’t get traction, as soon as I went on anything off camber the bike just slid out. Gave up half way and went back down through bonaly woods – was good fun but unbelievably slippy, went down most of the steep bit at the bottom on my back. Thawing a bit today, sure it’ll be back soon though!

pixelmix
    Free Member

Oh, we were talking about chocolate chute earlier- the bottom of it is a huge block of ice like a little glacier, cunningly hidden under snow, and generally pretty alarming and non-fun. So watch that one. It’s ice from the last lot of snow I think.

I spotted that patch of ice on chocolate chute on Saturday morning. It is just visible where the snow has slid off of it a bit, so thankfully I saw it in time to keep the bike upright.

WoL was hard work at 10am on Saturday, since the snow hadn’t been compacted by footfall, but did have some foot prints in it. I had to seek out the virgin stuff at the side as it was much easier to keep momentum on the singlespeed. The path was much more rideable 4 hours later on the way back towards town as it had been compacted a bit. I suspect it will be a slushy icefest now though.

Stu

Anyone been out today/last night? I’m hoping there is still enough snow around to cover the ice! 😆

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Balerno – Nail Trail and thereabouts’ is closed to new replies.