Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Balance bikes again
  • spursn17
    Free Member

I’m trying to get my grandson (two and a half years old) to give up his scooter and get going on his balance bike which he rarely has a go on.

What is best, have the seat a bit low, or raise it so his feet come off of the ground easier? I’ve been raising the seat so that he has to sit on the saddle but he doesn’t seem to like it that much, if I lower the seat he just walks it along.

nwill1
    Free Member

In my experience have it low enough for his feet to be just about flat on the floor and give him time, as he starts to feel comfortable he’ll experiment in his own time and gradually progress.

spursn17
    Free Member

In my experience have it low enough for his feet to be just about flat on the floor

That’s the way I’ve tried most. He just gets fed up with it as it’s so slow, he’d rather be riding the 3 wheeled scooter like a loon!

fadda

Get him to a grassy slope somewhere – the slope will encourage some whizzy feet-off-the-ground action, and the grass will be far less fun on a scooter?

spursn17
    Free Member

Good call fadda. Finding the right slope around here is hard though, it’s all flat apart from some big slopes heading down to water (or roads)! I won’t be popular if he hits water as all the scars he already has has come from trips out with granddad 🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’m so glad my lad has little interest his scooter… Hateful little things.

And he’s faster on his balance bike than all the other kids in their scooters.

Oh and yes feet flat on the floor with a slight bend at the knee, that way he can really put some power into his pushes.

bigad40
    Free Member

Both my boys loved the balance bike but they both started on a plastic 3 wheel motorbikes that were completely finished before moving onto the balance bike.
    Had to “sell” it to eldest pointing out it’s a dolphin bike (one of the stickers on it), and he walked it for sometime.
    The little one couldn’t wait to get on it and at one point was quicker than his big brother on a pedal bike.
    Before his 3rd birthday he has ridden a couple of pump tracks and owns (not quite) the local skateparks.
    Each kid is different. One day it just clicks and then they’re inseparable.

tomlevell

Lower rather than higher.
    Can you leave it lying around in his house so he can pick it up when he wants? Ours learnt in the house which isn’t every parents cup of tea ;0)

Any other kids he can watch to mimic and chase?
    You Tube videos?

Go offroad (grass slopes as above) as the scooter can’t go there.

flip456
    Free Member

For my two, to start with we set the seat so that they could sit flat footed. After much walking about they build the confidence to build speed and lift their feet. It was a slow process and frustrating at times but then it just clicks and they’re off 🙂 .

spursn17
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Can you leave it lying around in his house so he can pick it up when he wants?

It’s left lying around the house all of the time, unfortunately due to laminate floors the scooter rolls much faster.
    I’ll get him to a grassy slope on Monday.

tomlevell

Point out that the bike is far more dangerous ;0)

Show him how to use the brake. (it’s not your house is it…)

hatter

Get him to watch THIS before bed for a few weeks.

Got my nipper well fired up to get to grips with his runner bike.

spursn17
    Free Member

WOW! that kid in the vid is great.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Balance bikes again’ is closed to new replies.