Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Balachuillish to Fort William on the bike, is the main road the only way?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

On a Sunday? The corran ferry is fine, but the ferry at the top of loch linnhe doesn’t go on the sabbath, meaning a fair trek round loch eil instead. Is there not a cycle path instead?.

scotroutes

No option I’m afraid. Half-term too. It’ll be busy.

(or go off road up the WHW 😆 )

matt_outandabout

Horrid road to ride on, but unfortunately the only way.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We’re doing a sociably paced mini bike packing tour, was originally 2 days, from ardrossan to Oban, via the two ferries. Then realised it’s only 46 miles to FW, let’s do that and make it 3 days, but the ferries have goosed us.

I’ll consult the others.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Off road?

passtherizla
    Free Member

I know a good bnb in Oban. It’s not run by my very lovely parents or anything at all…

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

Off road , north ballachulish along road to kinlichleven turn off at callert , over the hill and down other side then west highland way to fortwilliam , tough going but good fun !

br
    Free Member

Off road , north ballachulish along road to kinlichleven turn off at callert , over the hill and down other side then west highland way to fortwilliam , tough going but good fun !

This, and do-able on a cx bike but not a roadie.

scotroutes

That section of road is on my “to do” list. I reckoned it would best done in a group and/or through the night.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at that b r.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We’ll be on mtb’s with semi slicks btw, frame bags and panniers etc.

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

The callert path is pretty tough , might be better kinlochleven then and get the west highland way from there .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tough in what way Gordy?

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

From south side over it’s pretty much a bog fest from bottom to the top , un rideable all way up which from my recollection is about 1200ft the descent down other side is rocky and in my opinion very techy , just with the panniers and tyres I probably wouldn’t advise it m8 !

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheers buddy, lookin like the main road.

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

Hi viz then m8

thegreatape
    Free Member

You can go Balla to Inchree on the cycle path and *cough* pavement, then forest roads to the furthest point of what is a big loop, then cut across a field to Lundavra Farm, then tarmac road all the way to the Fort. That’s the most direct way that avoids being on the carriageway.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You can go Balla to Inchree on the cycle path and *cough* pavement, then forest roads to the furthest point of what is a big loop, then cut across a field to Lundavra Farm, then tarmac road all the way to the Fort. That’s the most direct way that avoids being on the carriageway.

Without checking the map, I think that’s the route we did the other way. It pops out at the point where the forest road meets Tarmac on the WHW, it’s a rolly ride from there into the back of Fort William.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, that’s pretty much it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds good, and if it good enough for McM, it’s good enough pour moi.

krixmeister

Just a thought and not sure your plans. I’ve never ridden that section of road but have driven about 98 dozen times, and would not want to ride it under any circumstances. Would you consider hitting the WHW the other direction, down to Bridge of Orchy or further along? You’d be on the train route, under assumption you are using that to return home.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just checked that out on the map, looks perfect. What’s the ground like when crossing to Lundavra farm? looks boggy, part of the fun!.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Grew up being driven on that road every day for almost 18 years.

Have never cycled it.

Never ever ever will.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Just checked that out on the map, looks perfect. What’s the ground like when crossing to Lundavra farm? looks boggy, part of the fun!.

Haven’t ridden it, or indeed walked across it, but do take my dogs and/or bike on the forest roads prior to it. I would agree that it looks boggy, couple of fences and small burns to cross, and to my eye looks more like it might be pushing than riding, but it’s not far at all, and there’s a good chance you can ride where I have to push!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

there’s a good chance you can ride where I have to push!

Canny see it!, we’ll be all loaded up with camping gear. Doesn’t look far, as you say.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Google ‘lundavra farm inchree’ and a blog entry on andyhowell.info suggests a path of sorts exists across that section, with a signed way round the farm. This was the only bit I’d ever wondered about – don’t know those farmers and I think they do sport fishing there, but if they’ve put a way through/round then there doesn’t seem to be any risk of having to do that whole shrugging shoulders and pretending to be foreign charade if accosted.

rickmeister

The path through from the forest to Lundavra farm is “ok” ish. Some ridable, some a push but its tussocky and easily crossed. Out to the farm and have had no problem with the farmer. One gate leaving the forest, no other fences to cross.

Puts you in a position of WHW to Fort Bill or the tarmac road..

(Done it three limes as a Glencoe-Devils Staircase-KLL-WHW-Lundavra-Corran Ferry car pick up).

matt_outandabout

Ace, this needs to be remembered – post on trail Scotland and Facebook big country biking?

thegreatape
    Free Member

no beer, since you’ve got your map out, what’s the distance?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Did you do this in the end OP?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

weather was pretty grim coming in from Oban, we did consider heading up through Glen Righ and Lundavra, but instead chanced our arms on the 82. It really wasn’t too bad at all, had a cracking tailwind, and YoKaiser hauling us along at an average of over 18mph on the fat bike!.

There is a pavement all the way to the Corran ferry, and only about 5 miles til the next pavement coming into FW, so at that speed, we weren’t long.

Yes, I did say pavement, but on a road like this, I has no qualms about using it.

kcal

absolutely. used to drive it a fair bit when hill-walking / driving to/from Edinburgh, would not have liked to have been on a bike even in those days (15 years ago). Biked through Kintail once, that was bad enough.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, I did say pavement, but on a road like this, I has no qualms about using it.

The police up there are pretty awesome so I doubt it would matter.

I was hoping you’d be able to tell us how easy it was across to the farm!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d hoped to go that way, but was out-voted, and it was pissin.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Just have to do it myself then 🙄

🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Balachuillish to Fort William on the bike, is the main road the only way?’ is closed to new replies.