Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bak Rak – Any experience?
  • PhilO
    Free Member

While searching for a way of carrying up to 4 bikes on the back of a Hiace camper van, I have come across: http://www.bak-rak.com/base-rak.htm

This looks quite tempting, as it would allow me to use my existing Yakima and Thule roof racks, and function as extra load space for other things with the racks removed. I can’t help but wonder why they aren’t better known, though. They seem to have been around a while.

Has anybody ever used one, or seen one ‘in the flesh’?

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at these for years and hoping someone else would get one to give a first hand opinion, so on that basis I’d say buy one.
    They do look brilliant but Ive never found an owner review, don’t know what to infer from that.

dienamic

Or you could get the Thule easy base for pretty much the same price. It’s already got lights and plate mount, and doesn’t look like you’ve made it in your shed…
    https://roofracks.co.uk/thule-easybase-949/?gclid=CjwKEAiA58a1BRDw6Jan_PLapw8SJABJz-ZWTTq9jPElIW-dwtk0quBTXEAbDpUbs2_zpks2S3u8BRoCo2jw_wcB

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’m looking for something like this, although know little about them. However here is a bak-rak that you don’t want to experience

stevemorg2

Had one a while back and returned it! It was hard to fit and the supplied bike racks were crap – it wasn’t even that cheap by the time you factored everything in

teamslug
    Free Member

OMG that woman’s head ^^ is on the wrong way round!!!

PhilO
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments. The Thule equivalent only works with their dedicated racks and only has a 45kg max load, so that’s out. Not too worried about appearances, as its a tool for a job not a sculpture.

‘Hard to fit’ is the sort of info I was looking for. Can you expand? Actually a challenge to get located, or a PITA because the clamp needs a ratchet spanner rather than using a cam lever, for instance?

Much obliged. ?

stevemorg2

Clamp using spanner was a PITA and the size of the rack made it awkward to lean over to get it secure – it just thought the whole set up felt cheap

PhilO
    Free Member

Useful info. Thanks!

hammyuk
    Free Member

You realise that the nose weight of your trailer is going to be nowhere near 130kgs?
    45kgs is good, clips on with one hand, etc.
    Whilst that one “apparently” weighs 8kgs – it won’t by the time you attach all the bars, etc it needs to carry your normal bike racks.
    Add in the hassle of needing either a spanner – or paying extra for their “special socket headed bolt”.

BTW – you don’t necessarily need the specific Thule ones for the Easy-base. Roofrack ones will fit fine.

PhilO
    Free Member

Max nose weight is 80kg on the Hiace. The racks I already have are 2x6kg and 2x4kg respectively. Add on 4 bikes and I’ll be waaaay over 45kg but hopefully inside the 80kg limit for the hitch. Note that 4-bike rear racks generally weigh circa 20kg and quote a 60kg max load.

Interesting to hear that the Thule will accept standard racks though-that contradicts what I’ve read elsewhere.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bak Rak – Any experience?’ is closed to new replies.