Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Baggy baloney and sausage shorts
  • hock

So tell me: do you REALLY ride around with baggy shorts OVER your lycra tights?

why? 😐

I mean, is it all vanity of not wanting to be seen in leggings?
    Are you afraid of the style police? (And if so why don’t you just wear full-length baggy pants when it get’s cold?)
    Or is it by any means functional or practical to wear baggy shorts and have lycra sticking out underneath?

Not that I am any better. I ditched the sausage shorts and adopted baggy shorts purely to stop people laughing while pointing fingers at me. But I never saw a point in wearing lycra shorts underneath the baggy shorts. Why would you wear 2 shorts at the same time? In summer?

I mean, it looks a little bit like this, doesn’t it?

In the same way it feels really wrong – now that it got a little less mild – to wear 3/4 or full-length tights and baggy shorts ON TOP of them. It’s just too many layers, isn’t it? And it looks stupid, too! It looks as if mummy made you wear long johns while you stubbornly insisted to wear your favourite pair of shorts. 🙄

So, what do you wear? And why?

😀

BoardinBob

bib shorts under baggies = less chaffage

Plus 3 hour cycle = sweaty arse which is far more pleasant in bib shorts than pants + baggies or god forbid, commando + baggies

Jamie
    Free Member

Each to their own.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Each to their own.

now now, none of that on here please!

i dont wear lycra under my baggies, i wear undershorts as my baggies dont have any padding.

oh and to continue my new tradition i’ve just made up…

elfy?

matt_outandabout

Baggy FTW

nedrapier

I wear baggies or hiking trews if it’s really cold. If it’s a long ride I’ll substitute normal pants for a mesh type lycra padded affair, and maybe some minty arse lard.

so I’m swapping out, rather than doubling up.

And i like pockets.

And the lycra was pricey, and I don’t want it ripped on brambles or in a fall.

2tyred

road bike – lycra. Anything else would be ridiculous.

bmx – normal clothes. See above.

mtb and commuting – baggy shorts over lycra shorts, 3/4 or longs. Pockets, I like having pockets.

billysugger
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15QngStkp-E[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do sometimes put baggies on over the top – its to protect the public from the sight of a middleaged man in lycra – the bust sausage look is not good

hock

😯 yeah, I can SEE what you mean, Matt !!! 😆
    what a suitable name for the topic, by the way – outandabout… 😉

binners

Any bloke thinking it acceptable to leave the house only in lycra should be arrested on the spot, and forced to go on a self-awareness course

Oh… and I wear a boned corset, with baggies over it

cookeaa

What’s the point of the thread exactly?

Is it just general musings on peoples cycling attire?

tell you what, you do your thing I’ll do mine and most likely nobody will suffer as a result of either…

andrewy

I wear baggies over bibs. Prefer the extra layer between me and the mud, plus it helps protect from gravel rash, which is after all the reason downhillers first started the fashion.

hock

Hi cookeaa,

exactly!

Cheers!

hock

will
    Free Member

Lycra over baggies.

hock

😆

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Unpadded baggies + commando = arse like leather 😀

crikey
    Free Member

Baggies over lycra to stop knacking expensive bib shorts/tights. But only in mud, otherwise lycra is fine. Rufty tufty mountain bikers worried about people looking at your willies really need to grow up.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

elfy?

Looks like

jools182
    Free Member

the lycra is for the padding

the baggies have pockets for putting stuff in

psling
    Free Member

So, nobody admitting to french knickers or a little lacy g-string under their baggies then…. 😯 😆

TiRed

Baggies for easy mud separation.

philconsequence
    Free Member

So, nobody admitting to french knickers or a little lacy g-string under their baggies then..

mrsconsequence is a g-string under baggies person. she only uses the wonders of padding in winter when wearing legging thingies but no baggies on top

SiB
    Free Member

No lycra tights here with shorts over but…..

Lycra bib with padding (the above the knee numbers)

Shorts over top to carry train tickets, bit of cash, phone, and keys. Walking in to work in lycra may be frowned upon too. Society hey.

Shorts over top as I stand up on train with bike so for people sitting down are saved from the sight of a 40 year old man with padded lycra on (lets face it, its an unatractive look).

Road or mtb with no public transport or stops = lycra bib

yunki
    Free Member

padded lycra off bike in public is bordering on obscene really innit..
    cake stops in the cafe and tha’.. family out with the kids for a picnic.. young lady walking her dog.. ugly sweaty old man in tights hanging around..

nice

hock

So what I am reading out of this so far is that some:
    – actually prefer lycra but wear baggies on top so that the public can’t see them wearing lycras
    (which only sounds like a fetish while the intention is actually very caring and thoughtful)
    – some wear baggies to protect their valuable lycras (now that’s a proper fetish!)
    – like pockets (fair enough but why do you wear lycra under your pocket carriers?)
    – deliberately want a 2nd layer protection against gravel and to separate mud
    – some have leather skin and go commando (leather skin is a start but what about the other 2 issues?)
    – some wear padded liners (fair enough)

Well, my impression is, that a lot of the hairy chested (and arsed) bikers on the trails (present company certainly excepted) would prefer the functionality of lycras and actually suffer from the bulky, chaffing extra layer that a baggy often is BUT feel uncomfortable with the peer pressure they are getting from the fashionista mafia out there. Style over function so to speak.

So why don’t you (EDIT no, certainly not you, they…) just man up and stand by your lycra?! 😕 😛

Pook

waterproofs over trousers over baggies over lycra over goose fat over body paint.

but then I feel the cold

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

MAMIL and proud. In a world where MC Hammer pants have come back into fashion. It’s basically, no holds barred.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Baggy baloney and sausage shorts’ is closed to new replies.