Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • badminton
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as tournament you can just register as an individual and then play?

Been playing a few mates recently and just wondering if something like that exists?

In the Glasgow area.

dooosuk
    Free Member

No idea, but why don’t you look at joining a club that plays in the local league?

DezB
    Free Member

I could beat you

alansd1980

Depending on your standard there will be a few.

There used to be things called badminton bonanzas. These were split into social and club standard. If you enter these you will get a couple of competitive matches.

If you look on the badminton Scotland website there will be some info

seosamh77
    Free Member

Standard wise, I haven’t a clue tbh, played a wee bit a school PE, enjoyed it. But haven’t play it since. And now 20 years later played it a few times. So my standard is likely to be crap, but I keep beating my mate! So all is good there! 😀 But I fancy getting a bit more involved.

As for clubs, I dunno, doesn’t really seem to be a lot of information about them, I had a look at the badminton scotland website, seems overly overloaded with church teams, which doesn’t particularly seem my thing!

I see you can be affliated to badminton scotland as an individual, but again information is very sparse on what tournaments there are etc, and loads seem mostly aimed at kids, rather than fat 36 year olds! 😀

I think the badminton world in scotland need to dip it’s toes a bit further in the world of the new fangled web! Either that or I need to inprove my googling skill! 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    I could beat you

Maybe! challanger accepted! 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Shame we’re 500 miles apart 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

boooo, poor excuse! 😉

Just roped another couple into a game, just need to get everyone now together and i could start my own tourny at this rate! 😀

mrplow
    Free Member

I am in Glasgow and partake in the odd game of Badders. :mrgreen:

Did a couple of bonaza events years ago. Don’t know if they still do them.

alansd1980

Just had a quick look and there is a badminton bonanza at the cockburn centre in april.

http://www.badmintonscotland.org.uk/index.php/tournaments/entry-forms

This used to be the home of Scottish badminton but not sure if it still is.

As for the churches leagues. Don’t be put off, this is the club leagues. It started years ago when the only places to play were church halls. Depending on where you played there could be a massive home advantage because of variable hall height or obstacles hanging down. I have been taught many a lesson by some old boy playing in his home hall.

I cant suggest more specific clubs and its been 16 or 17 years since I played in Scotland. The churches league will be doubles. There used to be a singles league at the cockburn but that was a long time ago so no idea if its still going.

Best thing would be to play in the bonanza, see where you are level wise and ask some of the organizers to suggest somewhere for you to play.

HTH

CaptJon
    Free Member

Check the local leisure centre as they often have ladder leagues.

RealMan
    Free Member

Badminton England have been doing something called Battle Badminton which I think might be something interesting, although I’m not sure if it’s run by the Scottish version.

But as other people have said, join a club. Either google badminton clubs in your area or just call up sports centres/schools/community centres in your area and ask. Or have a look on facebook.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Have a look at the Cockburn Centre, it in Govan, just outside it past entrance to the southern heading towards braehead . Dedicated Badminton centre, looks nothing from outside, but had £150k grant refit. Joining fee and you can book online.

seosamh77
    Free Member

cheers all, I was actually just look at that bonanza, think you need to be affliated to a club to enter though or as an individual? Looks like it’s only 20 quid mind, so no great hardship there.

I’ve emailed the badminton scotland website to ask about clubs and what they would recommend for someone my age. I’ll wait to see what they come back with, they I’ll start contacting some clubs and suss it out.

Fair enough on the Church clubs things, I’ll not rule those out then, though I think singles appeals to me much more than doubles.

Think I’ll email the Cockburn centre as well, see what they think..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘badminton’ is closed to new replies.