Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Badly scored stanchions: ride on, or service now?
  • griffin
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Fox F100s on eBay but found the stanchions to be very deeply scored (pic below), and leaking oil as a result. I know if I send them for service, replacement of uppers will push the bill over £200, but is there any rush to send them off if performance hasn’t noticeably dropped off? Or if I continue to ride them until performance drops off will I be causing further damage to other components inside the fork?

Service now, or ride on?

The sales description did not mention any stanchion damage so I’m in negotiations with the seller.

Northwind

Daft question, own the seller with F100s, it’s not your problem.

griffin
    Free Member

Yes, for sure, but I was just looking for backup opinion for his argument that they performed well last time he rode them and he doesn’t think there is a problem. Naturally, I’ve told him I want a full refund, but he’s arguing about it.

j_me
    Free Member

They’re going to be letting dirt in past the seals. This will, if it hasn’t already, cause damage/excessive wear to the internals.
    Edit: looks like there’s a problem with the forks as thats not just a simple scratch

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

An inherent Fox fault. I wouldn’t buy new, let alone s/h.

Grimy
    Free Member

Meh, the stantions have polished through the coating, but as long as there’s no deep scratches there’s no reason they should leak or perform badly.

michaelbowden

I think I have a pair of stantions for those forks in my shed. If your interested drop me an email

Mike

spock
    Free Member

refund, not as described

Junkyard
    Free Member

probably ok but would knock a lot of the value off as they will not last as long as unworn stanchions.
    they will work ok but the longevity is impaired – by how long is a guess.
    I would want my money back unless they were very cheap as they will have had lots of use.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

They are worn out. Will probably need bushings as well as stanchions.

You could keep them going for ages with regular servicing but why go through all the hassle.

Next time consider specifically asking about worn or damaged stanchions and insist on detailed photos?

Only once have i bought second hand forks, off a mate and i was present on the day they were purchased and fitted and on every time they were ridden.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Send them back tracked and signed, open a eBay dispute (unless its been 45 days) and you WILL get a full refund.

I’ve just done the same. No way I’d be accepting them like that.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

+1 for the EBay dispute process.

I’ve used it a couple of times when items haven’t been as described & they’ve always ruled in my favour.

If you don’t want to return the forks, then you could ask for a partial refund (which you can also do via the dispute process)

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Mine wore like that after a couple of years relatively heavy use. I was quoted £275 for repair/new uppers, but instead I bought a brand new set for £300 from CRC.

whinosp
    Free Member

Mine are scored as badly, if not worse. They leaked oil until I replaced the oil seal bushes with Enduro fork seals. Since then (a year and a half of fairly heavy use) they have had no problems. A cheaper fix solution?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

My 36s are way worse than that but they still work ok.

griffin
    Free Member

Thanks for the opinions, of which there was certainly a wide range! I’m pondering whether to keep them and go for a partial refund then get them serviced after a couple of months or when they feel like they’re getting dodgy, but if that will cause further damage to the internals then I’ll have to get them serviced immediately. The wear marks feel deep.

Took my rigid singlespeed to Swinley today. Lovely ride, glorious weather. It’s a bit hard on the hands and arms though so I wouldn’t mind sticking a pair of suspension forks on it!

ilovemygears
    Free Member

there dead dave 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Badly scored stanchions: ride on, or service now?’ is closed to new replies.