• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Badback & hardtail setup?
  • hora
    Free Member

The pain is about 6inches above the base in my spine. Could it be my setup issues? The frame is the correct size and I’d describe the pain as a dull ache.

soobalias
    Free Member

how upright/stretched are you
    how far did you ride, over what terrain
    did you spend much time out of the saddle

probably just need to shift the saddle forward on its rails by 5mm and lower rear tyre pressure by 2psi

br
    Free Member

Frame material is probably at fault, you need a Ti frame 😉

james
    Free Member

‘correct’ frame size, but ‘correct’ stem length also?
    You could make more of a change with stem length than between a small to a large frame size with many bikes

sugdenr
    Free Member

Thudbuster

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have you switched from a FS and just gone out and done lot of long rides on the HT?

If you’re coming from a FS then it’s probably just down to being out the saddle a lot more on the HT and lacking a bit of core strength. If it is setup then it’s probably your “attack position” that needs tweaking, more so than saddle position.

chiefgrooveguru

Did it occur after spending a long time looking at the bike rather than riding it? 😉

Seriously though, I get an ache like that when doing to much prepping in the kitchen, I swear standard worktop height is too low for normal height men… Only ever get lower back ache on the bike, which happens when my hamstring tightness overpowers my core stability.

hora
    Free Member

I reckon my core stability is appalling and hamstrings are tight. Will stretch and core exercise off the bike daily

chiefgrooveguru

A foam roller is really good for loosening up the hamstrings (and everything else too!) I read a good tip a few days ago that when you’re pedalling seated you should try to maintain the same core stability as when pedalling standing up.

doglover
    Free Member

Would also recommend seeing a chiropractor

ton

hora, sell it and get a fs………oh wait a minute….. 😆

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hora in correct size frame shocker?

sparkyrhino

Wear high heels around the house,builds your core strengh up a treat.

sparkyrhino

Don’t need to be your high heels,or your house come to think of it 😯

ton

is it a 18” frame? please tell us it aint.

martymac

i will echo soobalias comment re: shift the saddle forward 5mm and try lowering the rear tyre pressure a little.
    also, you can drop the saddle by a similar amount, or fit a spacer under the stem, after that its time to try things like a shorter stem.
    ive **** about with all these things for most of my adult life, but finally got rid of the pain (literally) overnight when i bought a memory foam matress.

shortcut

Try a sports massage or three to sort your body issues out. Them try again and build up mileage gently.

Also losing the camelback may make a big difference and get someone to check your position. If this is recent ie last couple of days are you getting ill within flu?

hora
    Free Member

Literally gone from FS to hardtail. Loving it but not post-ride 8)

Frames the long 18″ c456 with a 50mm stem and 160 forks

mrblobby
    Free Member

I did much the same and first time out was a long ride around Afan. I felt like a broken man by the end of it and it took me a while to want to get back on it. Made a few setup and build changes, and spent a long time adapting my riding style over shorter rides and sessioning sections of trail (for me this was more emphasis on weighting and unweighting the bike, more weight over the front, and a lot more time out the saddle – riding a FS for a few years had made me quite lazy.) Was achey post ride as I was having to use new muscle groups. Took a bit of time but now I love it and long rides are no problem (and my HT is considered to be pretty harsh by most.)

Btw, one of the build changes I made was ditching the 160 lyriks and going for Revs at 130. Made a big difference. I know a lot of people love it but I can’t really see the point of big forks on a HT unless most of your riding is proper DH. Big forks just made the bike feel slow, heavy and hard work over most terrain, and my HT skillz are more likely a limiting factor on the downs than the shorter forks.

ton

Frames the long far too small 18″ c456 with a 50mm stem and 160 forks

Hora, you are as tall as me, you need a 20” frame.

khani
    Free Member

😀 that’ll explain the bad back then…

Pook

ton, hora is not as tall as you.

Mark, it’s your core strength. Get a medium sized yoga ball and yet to balance sitting on it.

vondally
    Free Member

i would suggest that the dull ache probably is musclar but as this is the internet hard to tell, but go to an osteopath (peopel will recommend physios/osteopath and chiropracters based on their experiences, having used all three i would only go to an osteopath) they if any good will tell you about alingment and core strength and probably ease or remove the pain but importantley tell you hands oin what the issue could be.

Core srength work is vital anyway as is stretching, needs to be regular and consistant to have any impact and longevity. Also look at strength in legs, all to be with alingment. General posture as well. Walk tall and so ………

Shorter stem, will affect plus spacers as will saddle type height. Bars make a difference as well. Try a cheap suspension post USE i prefer rather than thudbuster but again personal preference.

On the bike silly as it sounds stand more use the knees and arms to absord impact, relax……and all that flow stuff, tensing up really knackers one.

oh and sell the hardtail for a nice full suss… 😉

hora
    Free Member

I did 3 things pre ride this morninh:

Rotated the bars back
    All spacers removed from under the stem
    Seat fwd.

At the bottom of every descent I no longer had the ‘death grip’.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Badback & hardtail setup?’ is closed to new replies.