Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • Bad Wiggle Experience with Colnago Bike Frame Cracked
  • illmtb
    Free Member

I bought a colnago bike last month on wiggle. I recieved the frame cracked and returned due to cracked frame. Wiggle is saying I cracked the frame by tightening the seatpost and refusing me a refund. This does not seem fair to me? Anyone else had to deal with wiggle and service like this?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Of course it’s not fair! Unless you cracked the frame of course.

lemonysam
    Free Member

You’re not in contact with someone called Grant are you? I’ve been dealing with him this week and as far as I can tell he can’t read or write english.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyl
    Free Member

did you pay by credit card? If so then get them onto it.

mudsux
    Free Member

over-tighten a carbon frame by chance?

illmtb
    Free Member

The person I am dealing with is shane, but I am getting the same level of support as you are . In fact I think it is a India call center that I am dealing with. Attached is some of my correspondence with them:

I am extremely disappointed with the service thus far. It has been much too slow. Here is a letter I drafted last night. I have not received an acceptable explanation for the defective bicycle or the why the customer service on this bike has been slow with no solutions.

I have been an avid road rider and racer for 25 years. Owned many bike brands (Trek, Santa Cruz, Litespeed, Colnago, Pinarello).

When I recieved this bike the frame was cracked and a few other issues that I resolved myself. The crack in the frame is a major issue to me and appears to be a delamination in the manufacturing process. It was not damaged in shipping. I have been exchanging emails with the sales team at wiggle. It has been extremely slow and has the feel of an offshore (India) help desk. Buying a premium brand like Colnago my expectations were much higher. I have had the bike for 13 days now and I still have a bike that is not usable. They want me to take off work and sit at home all day and wait for a courier to pick up the defective bike or take off work and bring the bike to a depot? This is not the service I expect considering the problems I have had.

Wiggle Response:

Hello Mr Ryan

Thank you for confirming you’d like to drop your bike off at the Leicester depot. I have sent details across to citylink so they can book this on their system.

We will of course issue a full refund to you upon receipt of the bike. As previously mentioned do you happen to have the name of the build mechanic on the pdi sheet so this can be passed to the workshop manager to investigate and make any necessary sanctions against the mechanic. If the crack to the frame is a manufacturing fault then we will of course be taking this up quality without this type of defect. It’s something we will look at upon receipt of the bike.

Regards the response time I’m sorry you feel the service has been slow. If I might outline the reason for this, I have been working through my cases as quickly as possible but with just myself in the workshop to deal with all wiggle’s bike related warranty queries, collection bookings, technical guidance, liaising with our main customer services team on bike related questions, customer bike order queries, bike cancellations (offering alternative bikes in cancellation cases) it can take a while to respond so thank you for your continued patience. Yesterday I was also slowed down as we had a 300 bike delivery to unload which took a couple hours of my time as well. At the moment I am dealing with some 80-90 cases per day so am doing my best to keep up to speed. I hope this helps explain our response time (looking out of the window, I’m definitely not in India).

I full appreciate that this has been frustrating for you and after the anticipation of a new bike it is a massive let down to have problems. I can only offer my apologies and hope you can be out on a new bike very soon and be enjoying your riding rather than worry about the problems you’ve experienced with us.

Regards

Shane

illmtb
    Free Member

It was cracked upon my reciept. There was a clear fold in the carbon. Wiggle may have cracked it but I did not tighten the seatpost.

leffeboy

They want me to take off work and sit at home all day and wait for a courier to pick up the defective bike or take off work and bring the bike to a depot?

Are you from India?

smell_it
    Free Member

We will of course issue a full refund to you upon receipt of the bike.

Doesn’t sound like they are refusing a refund?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am struggling to see what the complaint is here.

Can’t you get the frame picked up from work?

trail_rat
    Free Member

So you want them to post you a new frame without seeingthe old one then ?

Suck up what you saved by going to wiggle over a nice local bike shop you could have dropped it off at and take a day off to send it back.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me

stumpy01

They aren’t refusing you a refund as far as I can tell. Not really sure what your rant is about, if I am honest.

You received a frame with a defect. They are saying that once they get it back they will refund you. Where is the problem….?

illmtb
    Free Member

I took off work and got it shipped. Here was wiggles reply when they received the bike (I rode it up and down my street maybe 1 mile in total).

Thank you for your email.I am sorry that you have had problems with your cycle and after inspection it has come to our attention that this cycle has been ridden and the seat clamp over tightened causing the damage in the carbon fibre paint. The tyres, chain, and brake rims show considerable signs of clear use. I have been informed that we are unable to offer a refund or exchange on this bike. Please see the following photos of evidence that have led us to this conclusion.
    Please feel free to email me further about the next step in the warranty process.
    Many thanks for your cooperation and patience in this mater.

Regards

Isaac

andyl
    Free Member

if you noticed the damage you shouldnt have ridden it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lets see the photos then ???

smell_it
    Free Member

So did you alter the seat height before you took it up and down the road? Honest question, not making a judgement

illmtb
    Free Member

Upon receipt it was cracked. I did adjust the seat after receipt but it was torqued to the 6 N-m using a calibrated torque wrench. No crack propagation was noted after the 6 N-m torque was applied.

I have pictures but am not sure how to post.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I did adjust the seat after receipt but it was torqued to the 6 N-m using a calibrated torque wrench.

Got the certificate to proof that too?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

But why did you ride it if you’d seen the seat tube was cracked?!?!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha matt i was just posting the same. Perhaps you mean a wrench that was once calibrated but hasnt been done since ?

Upload photos to flickr and post links that would be easiest.

illmtb
    Free Member

I have the certificate for the torque calibration so thats a mute point. I bet wiggles are not in cert,

Why did I ride it: I figured I would see if it fit me. Could you help yourself?

smell_it
    Free Member

What made you think riding a cracked frame up and down the road was a good idea, did you think it would make it better?

If I recieved a cracked frame, the last thing I would do if I noticed is then mess around with the cracked area, and go for a ride on it. I would return to box and return to seller.

Edit –

Could you help yourself?

yes.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Why would you do anything with a frame that was “cracked upon receipt” other than leave it well alone and contact the company you bought it from straight away!

“Could you help yourself?” Well you haven’t helped yourself in this case.

stumpy01

Aaaaah. That’s a bit different.

So you notice the damage before you rode it? Why did you ride it?
    That has to make it more problematic for any warranty claim as it’s been used…..?

The thing is, isn’t it up to them to prove that you over-tightened the seat post, rather than you prove that you didn’t? I am not sure if this is correct or not, but I seem to remember it being mentioned in the past on here that the onus is on them to prove it was sent in a satisfactory state?

Do you have pictures of the damage before you rode it? If so, have you sent these to Wiggle?

To add pics you need to upload them to Photobucket or another photo hosting site and then stick the link to the image in between the img brackets…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Were the rims and tires also worn at delivery ?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Just to let you know, a bike shop will almost always do their best to get a refund for something like a bike. A bike that is broken is bad for the customer, which is bad for them. It’s no skin of their nose so long as the manufacturer deems there is a fault because they will get their money for it. So they are perfectly happy to replace stuff that has a genuine fault.

If the manufacturer deems there is no fault, because the customer has done something, then the shop has to go with that. After all, who knows best, a punter, or the people that built it? “Considerable” signs of wear sounds like you’ve had it a while, and they’d not come back with that if they didn’t believe it, because, like I say, replacing it isn’t a problem for them if there is a genuine fault.

Liftman

Wiggle may have cracked it but I did not tighten the seatpost.

I did adjust the seat after receipt but it was torqued to the 6 N-m using a calibrated torque wrench.

Which is it

illmtb
    Free Member

@trail rat:

I agree a LBS would provide a much better level of service.

Torque calibration on my tools was done in March2012 on comp pad.

illmtb
    Free Member

@Liftman

Frame was cracked upon receipt. So my point was that wiggle may have over torqued the joint prior to shipping, but it looks to me that the frame had a overlap in the carbon fiber so torque may be irrelevant. I did tighten using a calibrated torque wrench to the factory spec after receipt.

smell_it
    Free Member

If it was already cracked, i can’t see that using a calibrated torque wrench or the factory specs make much difference; it was broken. I do have a bit of sympathy, but you have dug your own hole.

mudsux
    Free Member

I agree a LBS would provide a much better level of service.

An LBS is in no better position to refund than an online retailer. If the distributor covers the return than it’s covered full-stop – regardless of where it was sold.

And what is an “overlap in the carbon fiber”.

Pictures would be *very* useful.

DT78
    Free Member

Got to say it doesn’t sound good for you OP. I’d also think if wiggle are saying ‘significant wear’ on rims and tyres thats more than up and down the road.

Not convinced you get less support from the online retailers than at your LBS – my previous warranty experience with wiggle/endura was fantastic. Waterproof jacket zip started playing up after 10months use – was expecting an offer of a repair but was sent a whole new jacket. Merlin were also brilliant and helpful with my reverb when it packed up, and then when it was returned with new stratches which had magically appeared during the service, though was blamed on me. That got sorted too at the expensive of postage.

toppers3933
    Free Member

edit.
    If it was cracked when you got it out the box why on earth did you torque it up? Thats what I don’t understand. A bike that has been ridden a mile does not have ‘considerable’ signs of use, unless it was pissing it down when you rode it that mile.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Where are the pics that they sent you documenting the amount of use?

Vortexracing

The finish on the relief in that seattube is bloody awful!!!

Looks like somebody has been at it with a butter knife

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

As said, seems you’ve kinda dug your own hole.
    On the other hand, that looks like a tiny imperfection in the lacquer. Nothing more, I wouldn’t bat an eyelid about riding it. There will be nothing wrong with it other than the cosmetic

illmtb
    Free Member

I will post the wiggle pictures of the claimed wear, for all to have a laugh. I cannot tell anything from the pictures (i.e. any wear at all).

cynic-al
    Free Member

I see a bit of peeling lacquer with a badly finished slot? (typical of Colnago QC IME)?

Echo above – why sort the other issues and ride it when there’s an issue you can’t sort and know you’d want to return it for.

At the end of the day, it’s your word against their’s. If you don’t back down I think you’ll get a return.

illmtb
    Free Member

The relief looks like someone took a die grinder (dremmel tool) to try to clean out some slag. The defect is minor but is still a crack so I figured wiggle would either give me a new frame or refund. I have got neither.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Bad Wiggle Experience with Colnago Bike Frame Cracked’ is closed to new replies.