Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bad weather / Black Mountains Cycle Centre
  • joebristol

I’ve booked an uplift day at BMCC in early December – I wanted to do BPW but wasn’t quick enough getting in to book it. Wanted an uplift day in South Wales or within an hour of Bristol and decided BMCC looked better than Flyup 417 (where I’ve been once before). Cwmcarn hasn’t got enough variety for uplifting IMO soni ruled that out.

I understand facilities pretty much amount to a car park and a portaloo – with a tractor / trailer to the top. If there’s bad weather then lunchtime could be a bit miserable without shelter – is there anything there at all?

If there isn’t I was wondering about getting a cheapie fishing shelter from ebay to put up near the car and take a camp stove (I’ve got a few already) to get a brew on.

Is there room for this in / near the car park?

We may get lucky and gena cold but bright day, but I’m preparing for a sideways rain and mud fest just in case!

rogermoore

Was there in the summer and was jealous of those who’d thought ahead with camping chairs etc! I had to make do with lying on the grass to soothe my hangover.
    You’ll have room for your idea.
    RM.

Trimix
    Free Member

Just hire a big van for the day. They are not that expensive.

joebristol

Cheers for that – sounds like I’ll be going on eBay shortly to get said fishing shelter. Found a budget but seemingly decent size one that I won’t care about getting filthy with mud / getting blown about if a bit windy.

joebristol

Trimix- that had occurred to me – but the shelter is about £15. A large van is quite a lot more to hire – and being on a Sunday it could be tricky to collect / return it whilst staying within a 1 day hire period.

scottfitz
    Free Member

save your £15 and spend it on a pub lunch next to their warm fire

Skirrid Mountain Inn

joebristol

Will that pub accept wet muddy blokes in cycling gear though / is there somewhere safe to leave bikes there? I’m thinking of lunch halfway though the day (nothing too substantial though)

joebristol

Did a bit of digging on vans and they are quite expensive – did 3 quotes from Bristol on not even that big vans and couldn’t get cheaper than £70 (it’s not possible to pick up and drop off on the Sunday) – that’s a Ford Connect too which isn’t really that big.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The Skirrid is often full of muddy bikes. dogs, walkers, owners, etc

joebristol

That’s a good option then – sounds more inviting than a tent with a camp stove. Will check how far away it is from BMCC, I’m assuming it’s quite close by.

I guess the only issue might be motivation to leave the warm pub to go back out into the cold / wet potentially.

Northwind

The other thing with BMCC is it’s tractors not vans so you’re going to be outside for a long time. Wrap up! On the plus side, the riding is bloody awesome.

joebristol

I’d spotted that – looks random and potentially cold.

Planning to take a thermal base layer with a technical t shirt on top of it. Need to decide on a top layer – I have an endura coat but it’s more aimed at commuting and is a little baggy. Need to find myself a cheap waterproof / windproof cycle coat – appreciating it maybe a bit sweaty.

Planet X have a cookie of options I’m tempted with trying. Will prob wear my new dhb cycle leggings under baggy shorts and will have shin / knee pads on and forearm / elbow pads plus either a full face or enduro helmet. Fingers crossed that’ll be warm enough!

joebristol

Dredging up this thread again – to anyone who has been to BMCC before, are Maxxis minion dhf (f) and dhr2 (r) likely to cut it there? Weather is looking oknish so far but guessing it’s going to be a bit muddy anyway?

Wondering if it’s worth trying to get a shorty or magic Mary to go on the front or not (depending on any offers on them to get one not too expensive)….

kiksy
    Free Member

When I went it had been torrential rain the day before do it was very muddy.

Had a DHF 2.5 on the front and a nearly bald Hans Dampf on the back. The trails aren’t steep so it was just a case of sliding around in a fun way rather than a scary way with that setup.

joebristol

Doesn’t sound too bad then – there’s light rain forecast for a few days before but nothing biblical.

The dhf is only about a month old, but the dhr2 drifts around a bit at trail centres when it didn’t used to – so has lost its edge a bit. Might be better in soft stuff.

I don’t really want to have to mess about changing another tubeless tyre at the moment…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bad weather / Black Mountains Cycle Centre’ is closed to new replies.