Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bad show for education from school – headmaster can't spell
  • danrandon
    Free Member

My 6 year old daughter won an award for hard work, determination, and a positive caring attitude in school 😀

She presented us with the certificate after the award ceremony and I was disgusted to see that the head can’t even spell. Attitude was spelt attitute.

Should I raise this with the school and get them to redo the certificate? Really appalled that the head or his minion can’t even spell a simple word.

Or should I donate a word processed with spell checking?

boxelder

What is “a word processed with spell checking”

Pan, kettle, black.

We all make mistakes. Keep it and lighten up would be my chosen option (take a “positive and caring” approach) 😉

riklegge

Could be a simple typo- like “processed” rather than processor? 😉

danrandon
    Free Member

That’s what you get when typing on a iPad and not checking your auto corrected words. Damn technology. I’ll shut up now.

Now where did I put my coat. 🙂

shifter
    Free Member

People should be able to proof read their own text without resorting to spell checkers.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I suppose the answer is to politely point out the error as you now know how easy it is to make one 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Pffft, I think you should be having a word with the daughter personally, it’s sports awards or nothing in this household! Goody two shoes 😉

bearnecessities

determination, and

Tut-tut; B minus. 😉

br
    Free Member

Our local council advertised a load of ‘Deputy Head’ jobs recently, except (on their own website) they said ‘Depute Head’…

Drac

attitude in school

C-

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Just correct it in red pen like teachers do and send it back to them with a little note telling them something along the lines of ‘must try harder’

piemonster

Just correct it in red pen like teachers do and send it back to them with a little note telling them something along the lines of ‘must try harder’

Plus 1

Use a colour photocopy or similar, I think they’d see the funny side.

cheez0
    Free Member

I read somewhere that commas and ‘and’ can go together in ‘modern’ written english but not in the case above.

vickypea
    Free Member

My 8 year old son wrote: “they road the boat across the lake”, and his teacher corrected “road” to “rode”! That’s one of several spelling mistakes she’s written in his literacy book!

bencooper
    Free Member

I read somewhere that commas and ‘and’ can go together in ‘modern’ written english but not in the case above.

Ah, the Oxford Comma. I always use it.

My 8 year old son wrote: “they road the boat across the lake”, and his teacher corrected “road” to “rode”! That’s one of several spelling mistakes she’s written in his literacy book!

Depends – if it was a ferry or something, then they rode it. If it was a rowboat, they rowed it.

vickypea
    Free Member

@bencooper- fair point except that the sentence was illustrating 2 people rowing a little boat!

bencooper
    Free Member

Ah 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bad show for education from school – headmaster can't spell’ is closed to new replies.