Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bad parenting observations… too judgemental?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I was making my mate a cuppa last night when we heard a mini motorbike getting whisky throttled out in the backyard that our houses look onto.. It was a little lad.. probably around 8 getting carried away on a mini ktm thing. I love bikes and I’ve got a couple of larger ones myself so I can appreciate how much concentration the little fella must have had along with a massive dose of adrenaline.

His dad seemed to think it was fine that he had zero control around my mates brand new 16 plate transit custom. At this point my mate stopped watching because he was too cringed out.. however I carried on.. the poor lad with no armour or helmet had a few shaky tight laps around the cars and I could see him flagging even from afar…

Anyway sure enough he grabs a whole load of throttle, drops the clutch and gets enough speed to hold a wheelie for 2 meters before the bike flips from under him and he chins the concrete with no time to get his hands out.

The bike landed about 1 meter away from my mates van so probably a good deal he wasn’t looking.

In all seriousness though.. what utterly shit parenting on so many levels.. my mate said he would go and have a word tomorrow.. I guess it’s touched him more than me as he has a little lad of his own..

When the little lad started balling his eyes out his dad got annoyed with him “I told you so.. ect”.. double cock.

So then.. is that fair game to have a word and if so what do you pull the dad up on?.. the fact that he nearly hit the van or the fact that he is obviously too stupid to realise where he went wrong? or has he learnt the lesson the hard way?

/curtain twitcher

wwaswas

Giving parenting advice is only ever going to end in a row.

The bloke either knows he was wrong and feels guilty his kid got hurt (so he’ll be defensive and angry) or doesn’t see a problem and you’ll never convince him there is one (so he’ll be offensive and angry).

jam-bo

Do you care about the kid or the van?

jekkyl

An 8yr old with no helmet riding a motorbike in a public place? I’d be ringing 101.

Gary_M
    Free Member

So then.. is that fair game to have a word and if so what do you pull the dad up on?.. the fact that he nearly hit the van or the fact that he is obviously too stupid to realise where he went wrong? or has he learnt the lesson the hard way?

I’d say it’s none of your business really. If your mate was that worried he could just have moved his ‘brand new 16 plate transit custom’ and told the dad his reason at that point.

trail_rat
    Free Member

maybe a reminder that the petrol powered vehicle needs tax, mot and insurance for use in a public space regardless of the fact its a childs motorbike.

remember the mini moto craze for a few years back. police were called locally at my parents(not by us i might add) for kids tearing up the estate on them – many were confiscated.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Any parent who lets their 8 year old rip around on a motorbike without the appropriate safety gear is a knobber.

crankboy
    Free Member

pjm1974 succinctly summarises the legal and moral view.

grum
    Free Member

Apparently you’re never allowed to have an opinion on anyone’s parenting decisions, EVER!

dknwhy

Parents make mistakes. I’d have a word if it happened again but i’m sure the dad feels awful about the kid getting hurt.
    Took my lad out on his mtb last summer around the gravel track at Richmond Park. One section was beyond him with his little wheels and skill level and he had a pretty big off. I still feel awful now thinking about it.

johndoh
    Free Member

You cannot give someone parenting advice – it isn’t any of your business to do that.

But I would be speaking to the police to voice your concerns and let them deal with it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Have you considered approaching the Dad and asking…

“Is the lad OK after his tumble?”

I’d wager that the answer you get will be that he’s a bit shaken but otherwise fine, that the Dad is wracked with guilt and feels like a prize dick for allowing it to happen and that the kid has learned a valuable lesson in motorcycle safety.

No police. No arguments.

If you have experience with motorbikes offer to give the kid some tips?

matt_outandabout

Any parent who lets their 8 year old rip around on a motorbike without the appropriate safety gear is a knobber.

Maybe anyone who lets their child rip round on a bike at high speed, in danger of harm, should be classed a knobber.

Guilty, m’lud. 8)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GBmUuy]11885361_10153666762486454_5021044682038606985_n[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zydLsA]Aviemore Overnighter[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

In all seriousness, is this not playful activity, with element of risk, a great thing for children to experience?

It may be you are more concerned for mates property?

It may be that it does not fit your filter of acceptable risk and play?

Pigface
    Free Member

I once found two kids up the scenic drive on a YZ80 one Boxing day, only one had a helmet and they were lost. Told them the way back down and off they went, couldnt of been anymore than 13, amazing fun for them, ridiculous of the parents letting them go off like that.

johndoh
    Free Member

In all seriousness, is this not playful activity, with element of risk, a great thing for children to experience?

Riding a motorbike without a helmet on isn’t great. Would you ride a motorbike without a helmet on?

trail_rat
    Free Member

that doesnt look much like a motorbike on a public road though matt.

that looks suspiciously like a controled enviroment designed for purpose with the correct safety equipment.

a whole different (and responsible) way to have fun….

wl
    Free Member

wwaswas – spot on.

gonzy
    Free Member

+1

Have you considered approaching the Dad and asking…

“Is the lad OK after his tumble?”

I’d wager that the answer you get will be that he’s a bit shaken but otherwise fine, that the Dad is wracked with guilt and feels like a prize dick for allowing it to happen and that the kid has learned a valuable lesson in motorcycle safety.

No police. No arguments.

If you have experience with motorbikes offer to give the kid some tips?

+1

PJM1974
    Free Member

Maybe anyone who lets their child rip round on a bike at high speed, in danger of harm, should be classed a knobber.

Guilty, m’lud.

Your lad – and a very handy rider he is too – is wearing a helmet and is in the appropriate place to hoon around on a bike.

He’s also under parental supervision.

Guilty? Not a chance, sir.

philjunior
    Free Member

I can imagine the conversation now…

“Dad, can I ride it out in the back yard now?”
    “No, wait until we’ve got time to get your gear on and go somewhere you won’t hit things!”
    “But I wanna waaa waaa waaa!”
    (dad thinks fuckit, pick my battles)
    “Fine but don’t blame me when you fall off and hurt yourself”.

OP’s observations take place. I’d be inclined not to judge the parenting, but maybe have a word about the shiney van.

mark90
    Free Member

As kids me an my brother got an Italjet 50cc motorbike one Christmas. Back in the 70’s we played by different rules and rode it places you just would not get away with these days including schools fields with live on site caretaker turning a blind eye as long as it wasn’t ripped up. But we were always made to wear a helmet, no body armour back then though.

Our friends let their 11 yr old get up to all sorts of antics…

😀

matt_outandabout

8)

I am still not so sure the ‘it is ok, he is on MTB on a trail in PPE’ but not ‘on road, on power, lack of PPE’ is that big a difference.

Arguably, my lad should wear pads or full face. He regularly is alone out biking. He was not always competent, and regularly pushes boundaries.

hmmm

ollybus
    Free Member

No Helmet, No ride. Simple

Gary_M
    Free Member

But I would be speaking to the police to voice your concerns and let them deal with it.

Really, maybe you should man up and speak to the parent instead, if you really must speak to anyone.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Arguably, my lad should wear pads or full face”

why ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Really, maybe you should man up and speak to the parent instead, if you really must speak to anyone.

Why bother, if he let him do it then they see no wrong. First thing any parent does when confronted is turn defensive if not a dick. Police would probably do some good along with a warning about if he does it again we will have the bike and crush it.

In simple terms producing children causes irreversible effect to the eyes, ears and reasoning of what we’re normal people.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

that looks suspiciously like a controled enviroment designed for purpose with the correct safety equipment.

and that’s what i love about riding!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bad parenting observations… too judgemental?’ is closed to new replies.