Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bad Egg Syndrome – ie scapegoat?
  • br
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29581498

As well as interviewing Armstrong under caution in May of that year, military police launched an investigation into all gallantry medals awarded to Armstrong’s regiment, the Royal Artillery, in Afghanistan after claims that honours may have been based on false battle write-ups.

It is thought it was the first such inquiry in British military history.

Smacks on deflecting ‘blame’ from the system to an individual – and then using the full resources available to go over him with a fine toothcombe.

aracer
    Free Member

So LA also lied about his military service?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Toothcombe? Small village in Dorset?

cranberry
    Free Member

The system relies on honesty. They have thrown the book at him because he obviously wasn’t honest. There is no scapegoat in that story.

br
    Free Member

The system relies on honesty. They have thrown the book at him because he obviously wasn’t honest.

It doesn’t work like that, he had to have been observed and nominated:

How Military Honours are awarded

Recommendations for honours and awards for acts of gallantry or for meritorious service are made by commanding officers. The commanding officer writes a citation nominating the individual, and this recommendation is then passed up the military chain of command for consideration.

cranberry
    Free Member

B R – I should have made clear that he is not the only person at fault, I think that his commanding officer has some questions to answer, but it seems that he invented an attack on his convoy and attributed actions performed by others to himself then went back to base and had a hand in writing his own citation. He deserves what he has got and is therefore not a scapegoat.

rab5474
    Free Member

I was awarded a gallantry medal during the same tour as the tit above and was part of the same battlegroup. When the allegations first came out, all those awarded medals including myself were deeply scrutinised, he was the only one found at fault as effectively he wrote his own citation, and passed it off as someone else writing about his escapades. Needless to say he was quickly found out, i’m surprised it took soo long for it to come out in the media

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bad Egg Syndrome – ie scapegoat?’ is closed to new replies.