Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bad Commute (But not as bad as it could have been)
  • bfreeman0
    Free Member

So I was minding my own business riding my bike to work, and then CRUNCH. The saddle fell of the seatpost and I almost ended up either in a bush or in a main road.

As I don’t really know much about bike maintenance, I chained up to a tree and had to catch a bus, couldn’t take it home as I would be late.

Now I’m sitting here at work worrying about the poor thing hoping it will still be there 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t you just ride standing up, then pop to a bike shop later?

bfreeman0
    Free Member

I was thinking that on the way to work. But at the time I was trying to get a ticket.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Update required…

bfreeman0
    Free Member

Picked up bike, looked like someone tried fixing it so they could take it…But must have realized it was locked.

Only problem is one of the fixings is missing, must have fell into the road as no sign of it. Any idea where I can get fixings for it instead of shelling out for a new seatpost/saddle?

GrahamS

Sorry for your trouble, but I found this juxtaposition amusing:

saddle fell of the seatpost…I don’t really know much about bike maintenance

😀

Any idea what kind of seatpost it is? Photo would be good.
    Someone on here may have some spare fixings they could send you.

Lifer
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be riding on that setup again…

kcal

sue the shop that sold it?

stumpy01

bfreeman0 – Member
    Picked up bike, looked like someone tried fixing it so they could take it…But must have realized it was locked.

Only problem is one of the fixings is missing, must have fell into the road as no sign of it. Any idea where I can get fixings for it instead of shelling out for a new seatpost/saddle?

From the sound of it you might only need a new seatpost. Why do you need a new saddle too, unless you have broken the sadddle?
    You will need to know the diameter of the seatpost that was in there originally to order another one. This might be stamped in the tube, or you can measure it with some calipers. Measure it’s length too, you might need the same length depending on how far the post protrudes from the frame. Conversely, if you don’t have your saddle very high you might be able to order a shorter post.

You can get a new seatpost for about £15. I’d be erring towards that for peace of mind, to be honest.

bfreeman0
    Free Member

Thank you for the advice, I’ll have a look tonight. The bike is a Carrera Vulcan 2008 model, the saddle is Mongoose, not entirely sure if that is standard.

If I buy a new post do they come with the fittings?

stumpy01

Yep. Comes with all the fittings. You just fit the saddle rails to the clamps on the seat tube.

If you take it to a local bike shop or into a Halfords, they will be able to supply you with a new post and fit it for you. They might charge to do the fitting, or they might just fit it as part of the sale.

bfreeman0
    Free Member

Thanks Stumpy, hopefully I can get the measurements tonight and go Halfords tomorrow.

Lifer
    Free Member

Measurements will probably be stamped or painted around the bottom bit of the old post.

bfreeman0
    Free Member

Thank you, if their worn away I’m sure staff at the shop won’t mind me taking in the old one.

soobalias
    Free Member

i’d expect halfords staff to easily find the correct seat post size for a carrera

Murray

Don’t bother measuring it – take the old one in. Or the whole bike.

bfreeman0
    Free Member

Will take old one in, can’t take bike haven’t got a car plus babysitting

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bad Commute (But not as bad as it could have been)’ is closed to new replies.