Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Bad cold, blocked sinuses, what's best; Cognac, Whisky or hot Ribena with Pimms?
  • englishbob
    Free Member

As above,

Discuss..
    Tips, anything really.

Rob

wallop

Or a tissue and a big cup of MTFU?

scaredypants

hot ribena with brandy & benylin – its the law

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Sudafed Dual relief Max Strength Caplets>

Missis is dosed up at the mo, and she’s almost human again!

I prefer whiskey, honey and hot water 🙂

hitman
    Free Member

vodka (kept in freezer), ice, freshly sliced lime and tonic water – repeat

TooTall
    Free Member

We have a family recipe for all such situations:

Night Nurse and whisky.

You must be over 200lbs in weight to survive the treatment, but you’ll sleep fine.

Markie
    Free Member

Spoonful of manuka honey in a mug of boiled water, squeeze in half a lemon. Inhale steam, drink liquid, repeat.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Whisky, hot water, honey, slice of lemon, a few crushed heads of cloves, and a slice of fresh ginger.

And a couple of paracetamol.

Another nice one that the missus made up this one time we were out of whisky involved Calvados, apple juice, honey, hot water, and spices of some sort, probably cloves and nutmeg.

I think the honey, whisky and hot water are the important bits cos they soothe/numb your sore throat and sinusy bits.

Sandwich

Use Matt Harts recommended supplements. Vit C as much as you can stand ( too much will be excreted quickly) start with 4 x 500 mg tabs. 2 x echinacea tabs per day. A couple of garlic tabs. 15mcg of Zinc. A horse tablet sized cod liver oil(1g dose) and an L-Glutamine tab. Takes me no more than 48 hours to shake an established cold and 24 to kill a latent one.

beaker

Honey, lemon whiskey and boiling water. Drink it with two paracetamol. Go straight to bed wrapped up and sweat. It’s horrible but I swear by it.

englishbob
    Free Member

No honey or fresh ginger in the kitchen tonight. Am trying hot Ribena and Pimms, perhaps moving onto Glenlivet later as Countryfile progresses.

sc-xc

hitman – Member
    vodka (kept in freezer), ice, freshly sliced lime and tonic water – repeat

I don’t know how true this is (I used to keep my vodka in the freezer – loved the syrupy texture), but a Smirnoff rep told me it made it less alcoholic. Could this be possible?

ski
    Free Member

Another one to add to the list..

Can of coke, boiled in a pan with a slice ginger

thegreatape
    Free Member

1 whole packet of Fisherman’s Friends

I_Ache
    Free Member

Smirnoff rep told me it made it less alcoholic. Could this be possible?

I can’t see how this is possible. The reason it doesnt freeze is because of the alcohol. Putting pretty hot water in it could reduce the alcohol slightly as the boiling point of alcohol is 78°.

joemc
    Free Member

Agent Orange always works – drink the top inch out of a tin of special brew, top back up with Benilyn. Drink.
    When you eventually wake up, you will feel well enough for the inevitably necessary cleanup operation…
    Not recommended for the young, elderly, weak or mortal.

Coyote
    Free Member

“english bob”?

You’re not in Vancouver or there abouts are you?

timidwheeler

A very large Cognac mixed in with your favourite hot chocolate. Use it to swallow down two paracetamol. Sleep well.

Grimy
    Free Member

Nobody mentioned “the Holy Trinity” yet? 🙂

timidwheeler

Better than hot chocolate, brandy and paracetamol?

bwaarp
    Free Member

None of them, alcohol will probably dehydrate you further and then depress your immune system.

Chicken noodle soup is the way forward.

bencooper
    Free Member

I don’t know how true this is (I used to keep my vodka in the freezer – loved the syrupy texture), but a Smirnoff rep told me it made it less alcoholic. Could this be possible?

If anything, it’d make it more alcoholic, if you filter out the ice crystals.

bwaarp
    Free Member

In fact I can’t recommend spicy Chinese curry style chicken noodle soup enough.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Donner kebab with extra chillis and chilli sauce !

organic355
    Free Member

get one of these…seriously

Cougar

Nobody mentioned “the Holy Trinity” yet?

Is one of those a bacon sandwich?

get one of these…seriously

Go to the chemist, get a tub of menthol crystals. Run hot water into the sink, add a crystal (they’re caustic, be careful), and stick your head over it. You might want to close your eyes.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Bad cold, blocked sinuses, what's best; Cognac, Whisky or hot Ribena with Pimms?’ is closed to new replies.