Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bad boiler install/ Gas Safe inspection and how much to knock off plumbers bill
  • zbonty

I recently had a new Vaillant combi boiler installed and i’ve employed the wrong guy..

A lot of issues with his work from general mess to poor pipework (some i made him re-do). Unsafe electrical work-he left a cable live that went from a fused spur to a socket i was moving, nothing to do with boiler replacement 😯
    There was a small leak on day one he was reluctant to resolve so i had to get the manufacturer to assess as a warranty claim who informed me of issues i would’nt have known about such as non room sealed flue in our kitchen(unsafe).

I complained to Gas Safe, who were excellent and made a thorough report and criticised him heavily as not working to current standards and turned the boiler off- great!
    I’ve gone light on details as i have’nt got all day and you lot would’nt read it.

He’s required to come back to rectify and we’re going to have a chat as apparently its illegal to punch him.
    Hes caused a lot of stress, i’ve taken time off (unpaid) and 6 weeks later the install is’nt right. We are using the boiler as i’ve filled an air brick up and the flue is now correctly fitted.
    I will have to pay him some money for the work so i’m interested in any opinions on how much i compensation/discount to aim for if you’ve been in a similar position?

footflaps

I’d just offer to pay materials. He can do the labour for free for the inconvenience.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

If he’s incompetent enough to get it wrong initially do you even want him to attempt to have another go at it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

Home insurance time? Check for legal cover.
    Get someone else in imho and charge person no.1.

zbonty

I asked myself the same questions, but he now only has to re-do the condensate pipework outside and extend some copper so it reaches the mixer tap so not really too challenging.

He seems a decent guy and is now contrite, but mainly since he’s had his arse spanked by Gas Safe who will be auditing further and no getting away from the fact he’s let us down badly. I would rather have employed a less agreeable engineer who just did a perfect job first time.

FWIW (at his request) i bought the boiler/magnatec/magnaclean etc. His materials (£120) plus labour of £1150 includes TRVs, all new kitchen pipework and extras: new towel rail, outside tap. A lot of money for a crap job!

hopkinsgm

What quantifiable costs have you incurred as a result of his shonky work? I note you mention having had to take unpaid time off work, so if you can put a figure on the loss of earnings and any additional out of pocket expenses (e.g. cost of hiring in additional heatersafter the job was supposed to have been complete), then that would be a reasonable place to start negotiations

martinhutch

Pay him some more to finish the job he’s already billed you for and screwed up royally? 😯

He needs to be paying you the cost of installing the airbrick/flue.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what they said compensation for your losses that are a result of their shonkiness

midlifecrashes

I wouldn’t allow him anywhere near my property and if he wanted money off me (for labour, get his invoice for the boiler and pay that) he could go through a court to get it.

project
    Free Member

Unsafe electrical work-he left a cable live that went from a fused spur to a socket i was moving, nothing to do with boiler replacement

Must have been the same idiot who at a customers house wired the boiler to a 13 amp plug in the airing cupboard then ran the cables in the pipe run box, fitted the plug socket upside down and left a live wire in the airing cupboard that i accidently touched with a screw driver and blew the main fuses, big bang ands a shock for me , my mate and the customer, who then had no power or hot water.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Get the details of his public liability and get them to pay for someone to put it right…

If the work was so bad an inspector turned the system off I wouldn’t want him back

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Contrite or not, he’s dangerous and he wouldn’t be touching anything else in my house.

Assuming you’ve paid him nothing up to now, pay him according to following formula:

His bill
    minus the bill of the person you’re employing to put right
    minus your costs incurred (lost earnings etc)

You want to be fair with him? That’s fair.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bad boiler install/ Gas Safe inspection and how much to knock off plumbers bill’ is closed to new replies.