Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bad bikes transformed into good. Success stories please…
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I inadvisedly bought a Bianchi hardtail a few years back when I got back into MTBing (my first MTB was a Spesh Hard Rock from the early 90s). I did’t see the importance of geometry and simply didn’t “get” that fact that riding “XC” was not the same as riding “Trails”. A super long stem, low flat and narrow bars and heavy 80m forks meant for a distinctly average ride. 12 months later I went out a bought a spangly full susser.

Cutting a long story short, I’ve recently dug out the Bianchi and invested in some new bits; shorter stem, wide low rise bars and rigid carbon forks and now the bike is AWESOME. It feels spot on and the stiff alu frame accelerates like no one’s business (the one good thing the bike has always had). Granted it’s not the bike of choice for the big mountains, but around my way it makes me feel like a cross country god.

Anyone have any other success stories?

jam-bo

getting rid of the shite manitou swinger in my orange five and replacing it with a vanilla RC. its transformed the bike.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Bought a Wheeler (Euro brand) after an insurance pay out some years ago. It was a pig to ride – improved it by taking the bits off, selling the frame and buying a P7.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Jambo tell si that – he reckons that fox on a patriot will not be as good a s a manitou swinger

ampthill

Same thing really

I always hated the steering on my Orange Gringo. Years later I went for a shorter stem as my back was less flexible. Now it steers so well!

Sadly the 80mm forks (Manitou sx would have neen poor in the 90s and the only real replacemebt options are way to expensive)

so sadly a new bike is still needed

stilltortoise
    Free Member

ampthill, I can strongly recommend getting some rigid forks. Top end rigid forks and still cheaper than low end suspension. My forks were 80mm Manitou Axel Elites and the bike is better without them. I’ve now got White Brothers Rock Solid carbon forks. Ace!

twohats
    Free Member

When I 1st built my Nomad it had a Fox 36 Talas RC2 forks and a DHX 5 coil and whilst it was a really nice bike to ride, it didn’t feel anywhere near as nice as the Heckler that the Nomad replaced!
    Much messing around was done to try and get the bike riding how I wanted it to feel to no avail.
    Fast forward 10 months, loads of issues with the 36’s including numerous cartridge failures and it was time for the fork to go and be replaced with a coil Lyrik. This transformed the bike no end. The air fork was so mismatched with the coil shock and slinging a coil fork on made such a huge difference to the bikes performance/feel.

oldgit
    Free Member

No, but I regret getting shot of my Sugar. It had pants forks and p-poor running gear. And though it was uber short travel I think the kit around now would have transformed it big time i.e discs, SIDs or Rebas some XT or XTR and carbon goodies.
    But hey ho.

nicko74

I had a Setavento custom Ti hardtail and just didn’t feel it – it didn’t feel as fun as I’d expected. So I took a bit of a gamble and replaced the frame with a Soda, and the Rebas for Revs and voila! Job done, and it only set me back £1200! 🙂

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Built up my dream bike a few years ago a Turner 5 spot (Horst link).This as to replace my previous dream bike 2003 Spesh enduro. Decided that the new bike should have a brand new pair of nice light kevlar beaded Michelin tyres. Once I started riding I couldnt believe how scetchy it felt, and in most conditions. I persevered for some time then in a fit of almost desperation ripped of the still new Michelins and put on some alomst knackered specialized tyres from the nail on the garage wall! This was the ureka moment! Hard to believe how those tyres could destroy the climbing decending handling braking capabilities of that bike. But they did. A pair of Maxxis minions turned out to be the best possible succes story!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bad bikes transformed into good. Success stories please…’ is closed to new replies.