Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Backpack recommendations please for girls.
  • Woody
    Free Member

Ok, my daughter has nearly finished her studies and is off to Thailand for a short while, probably 2-3 weeks, back home, then South America for at least a couple of months. She reckons something around 50-60ltr capacity would be fine but that is on advice from fellow (male) students.

Any recommendations/advice welcome and are they female specific as after the trips I'll probably want to make use of it myself as I can't see her 'roughing it' again.

Cheers

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

i have done my fair share of trekking and army exercises, it should be 80 ltr minimum, if you want a decent standard off living

Woody
    Free Member

What sort of weight are we talking about at 80ltrs?

She is fit but not a very large build and I should have mentioned she will be staying in youth hostels/cheap hotels so camping gear will not be carried.

rootes1

get one with an adjustable length back so it can be fine tuned to her height and also for when you use it and make sure everything is packed inside the bag in plastic bags, dry bags etc to keep stuff dry and in one place and like with like. And one without too many external pockets etc, and looks plain.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

I would recommend definately going to decent-sized shop and trying various ones out. I used to work in one and we would fill up the bag with stuff so people could get a better idea of how it feels weighted, I think this is really important. There are lots of women specific or smaller size bags (normally shorter back, narrower waist belt and adjustable height chest strap) which are definately worth considering for her. However if you want to use it afterwards a couple of brands do adjustable bags which can cover a large size range.

80l is pretty big, if she doesn't need a tent/sleeping bag etc. (although a silk liner is always practical) 60l should be fine – it's often a case of if you have the extra space you'll fill it!

A filled 80l rucksack can often get up to ~30kg which is a lot if she's of a slighter build!

(if money is not an issue I can highly recommend macpac bags)

molgrips
    Free Member

Like bikes, the one that fits your back/body.

And 80l is too much. You don't need it. You'll only fill it and regret having to lug around so much junk.

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info.

Looks like a trip to Blacks (they have a sale on at the moment) at the end of the month when she gets home.

THIS looks pretty good but isn't in the sale 🙄

gonefishin
    Free Member

As with shoes, the key to a good rucksack is the fit so get to the shops and try them out. A decent shop should also load one up for you to see what it feels like with some weight. I agree with others that 80l is too big. I've never used more than 65l as a rucksack and that is quite heavy enough for me.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes – get a female-specific one.

And tell her to to pack every single thing she needs then go for a walk around the block then go home and take out the half that she realised she didn't really need. 😉

And two top tips from my experience – take an emergency plug and DON'T waste money on expensive travel wash – just buy local (and infinitely cheaper) hand-washing soap powder.

And steal toilet paper wherever she can 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Not sure how Berghaus rate for rucksacks (I have a military style "Roc" from my Army training days) but their customer service is brilliant.

For this reason I tend to look for their kit when possible.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And make sure she takes a waterproof transit bag – can be used to protect when being transported (of course) and be used to cover the sac in the event of a downpour as well as a multitude of other uses.

organic355
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

If you have a Go Outdoors then they are also good and have some great bargains.

montylikesbeer

Verden 60+ is £90.00 at Go outdoors

or Panther @ £81.00

Woody
    Free Member

Good call Molgrips, there is one in Newcastle. Cheers

Moses

Is she actually trekking, or just travelling? Often a roller-bag would do the job and allow her to pull the weight, not carry it. Some have shoulder-straps too.

I know it's a bit "when I were a lad", but Mrs M & I managed 18 months with old army kitbags which must have only held about 40L. And one guy was travelling India with just a day-pack's worth. He didn't smell, either.

Woody
    Free Member

Is she actually trekking, or just travelling?

TBH I'm not sure but I suspect it will be very much travel orientated as she is meeting up with various people who are already there. I would much prefer her to have travelled with her mates or boyfriend so I'm not exactly overjoyed at the prospect of her being on her own at times.

Serious discussions will be had prior to departure !

gozarch
    Free Member

No idea about taking it round the world, but I have a 75l(I think) women's specific Berghaus Bioflex rucksack, and it's bloody brilliant.

crankboy
    Free Member

Woody i have the men's version of the Berghaus you linked to. I've used it for a weeks walking and camping in Scotland and really rate it. i found it very comfortable and was able to carry a far higher weight than I'd wanted to. It comes with a rain cover that proved it's worth in two days of steady down pour. The bag gave my wife serious rucksack envy and we had to go shopping for a new one on return >> The Berghaus female version did not fit my wife well she's 5'8", she prefers the Deuter Aircontact.
    Try as many as possible and play with the adjustments.

Woody
    Free Member

Just had a chat with her and her friend has the Berghaus. She liked the colour and padding but didn't occur to her to try it on before her friend left for Rio 🙄 The Bioflex is nice but a bit pricey.

If it was for myself, I would probably have one of THESE but then I'm not a 22 year old girl !

rootes1

mad thing is a just gave away a berghaus adjustable 65l + 10l to the local scouts due to lack of use…

tang
    Free Member

http://www.snowandrock.com/macpac-orient-express-65/travel-bags-+-duffles/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/3427

macpac orient express. they make great travel packs. harness to suit. not top loading so if youre doing the travel thing easy to pack/get to things, plus a detachable day sack.

Woody
    Free Member

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Persuade your daughter to try a variety of female-specific sacs, and ensure they put a bit of weight in them ie a couple of ropes.
    Personally I have an old Macpac that has served me very well, and have been impressed with an Osprey Talon I bought recently, tho' its too early judge its long term durability. Mrs brought an Arcteryx sac back from Canada a few years ago which she swears by, but certainly at that time they were v expensive here in the UK if you could find a stockist.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Osprey FTW….! They're awesome. New Lowe Alpine bags look pretty good too, though.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

+1 Osprey, they also measure your back to make sure you get the correct fitting pack!

Woody
    Free Member

All these look excellent.

Cheers

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Backpack recommendations please for girls.’ is closed to new replies.