Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Backless Booster Seat Verses High Backed Booster seat.
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

I want to use a backless booster seat as a spare seat for a child of appropriate size and weight. (Appropriate even under the new rules.)

SHMBO *really* wants both our seats to be a high backed.

I suspect I’m on a loser here, but can anyone provide a link to any evidence at all that backless boosters are ‘nearly’ as safe as high backed?

I don’t think evidence is really going to help much but it’s worth a try.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Get one where the back separates from the base to give you either option?
    All the ones we had for our kids did this.
    We’re now down to one 8 year old on a backless booster even though he’s plenty tall enough to legally go without.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Being as they are about to ban backless ones from new, so I think you are onto a lost cause!!!

According to SWMBO

miketually
    Free Member

Is there any evidence for booster seats, or just good lobbying by booster seat manufacturers?

benp1

Yep, both of ours split

Which is handy because the base only works much better on the fold up 3rd row/bench seat in the back of our estate

outofbreath
    Free Member

Is there any evidence for booster seats, or just good lobbying by booster seat manufacturers?

I’m not sure, but I strongly suspect a helmet would give far better head protection than the ‘flanges’ of a high booster seat back and nobody is advocating helmets.

I’d also be interested in whether some additional driving training for myself and SWMBO might be even safer than impact protection for the kids.

Anyway, glad to hear booster seat bases detach. That should keep both of us happy.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m not sure, but I strongly suspect a helmet would give far better head protection than the ‘flanges’ of a high booster seat back and nobody is advocating helmets.

From memory, the whole point of the back bit of a booster seat is to lower the point at which the seatbelt meets the kids shoulder to avoid the belt crossing their necks.

Any “flanges” for side impact protection are, most likely, decorative and functionally useless in an accident. They just want to make it look as though it might be safer.

This might be total bollocks though as I am not a road safety expert.

TiRed

We bought used Brittax Super Cruisers and then backless Brittax booster seat when they grow out of them. The Super Cruiser was just the best car seat for its intended purpose.

garage-dweller

I think there’s likely a benefit to the backs (our more recent britax one has a wind out impact absorber jobby) and of course the sides help stop them falling out of the belt. Also the belt routing looks better.

Having said all that we dont use the backs all the time (most but not all) because they are very bulky and sometimes we need to get three people in the back of the car and you just can’t fit in like that with a high back seat. They’re legal without them but prefer them to have them.

Some seats don’t split easily by the way so check when you buy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Any “flanges” for side impact protection are, most likely, decorative and functionally useless in an accident.

I think they would help against intrusion from certain angles. A problem with car accidents is when the side of the car gets smashed against your head. Decent booster backs have polystyrene and plastic wings which are much thicker than bike helmets.

Plus they give you somewhere to put your head, other than against an airbag. My daughter’s big enough to go without a back but she insists on it, she says it’s more comfortable.

nixie

Helmets would be a terrible idea. They add to the weight and loading on the child’s neck, especially in a frontal collision. Not good for the child.

Rear facing for everyone but the driver would be the safest I think. But it’s not popular. Would also be safer in planes.

DickBarton

Where do I find out proper info about the new rules? The stuff I read on gov.uk suggested there were 3 things needed with 2 needing to be met – so it looks like I don’t need to get a new seat…but I’ve no idea really as I thought the law was changing in December and I now hear it is March…so where do I find the new rules, please?

mark90
    Free Member

The new rules only apply to new products. Use of existing booster seats will be unaffected. In short new backless booster seats will only be approved for use by bigger children than the older booster seats are currently approved for.

DickBarton

Ok, ta…is that on an official website? I mean in as plain English as that…

mark90
    Free Member

First hit on google….

http://www.kiddicare.com/blog/2016/04/changes-child-car-seat-law-booster-seats/

Not exactly ‘official’ government site but clearer explanation that most of the scare mongering media sites.

Edit: And Which…..

Booster seats rules change – update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Backless Booster Seat Verses High Backed Booster seat.’ is closed to new replies.