• This topic has 12 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Back to the future, 9 sp crud claw…
  • rickmeister

So out fatty riding through a load of deep snow ending with a very iced up cassette.
    I don’t have enough wee wee to cope with 10k + rides
    I’m not going single speed
    Or alfine
    Or belt drive

But the crud claw looks like its the problem it was designed to solve way back in the day…

Anyone got a 9spd one or are they still made (in purple, natch… )

fasthaggis

I have one in the shed ,would you like me to measure it and then you could make one ? 😉

ampthill

But did it stop working?

I recon the important bits get cleared?

rickmeister

Open to offers for it fast haggis… ?

Got any pictures ?

rickmeister

Amptil, it kept working but only in the gear it was in, so a single speed. Cables or mech not frozen but the cassette was completely iced up.

ampthill

All we need is a cassette body that’s radio active enough to keep it warm..

fasthaggis

OP
    I will get some snaps and measurements of the (plastic)one I have in the morro ,it’s a bit baltic out in shed land at the mo. I seem to remember a few folk making their own versions out of Alu as they lasted longer (in muddy CX races).

JoeG
    Free Member

I have a Crud Claw on my ProFlex retrobike.

They are always available on ebay; though they’re 7 speed, not 9. You could make new comb part to work with 9 cogs pretty easily…

coatesy
    Free Member

Anyone else find that they stopped the qr gripper from biting into the frame, allowing the wheel to move in the dropout?

fasthaggis

Rick YGM

JoeG
    Free Member

coatsey – yes, a common problem for many. The crud claw also makes it a PITA to remove or replace you rear wheel…

coatesy
    Free Member

Yep, that too.

JoeG
    Free Member

But worth it IMO so that I can say “remember the crud claw? Well, I have one on this bike.” 8)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Back to the future, 9 sp crud claw…’ is closed to new replies.