• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ton.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • back to riding before seeing surgeon?
  • ton

i know it sounds daft, but bear with me.
    i had my op on 12th august, had my cast removed 6 weeks later, and a walking boot air cast given then, to wear for 6 weeks, which is up tomorrow.
    on the day i was given the air cast, i asked the surgeon when i would be able to do some exercise like gentle cycling. he said in 6 week when you stop using the cast and we xray your ankle to make sure it is healed.
    yesterday i got a call cancelling my appointment to see him. it has been put back 3 weeks.
    on monday i made the decision to stop using the aircast, as it as buggered my other hip up. so now using crutches and flat trainers. my ankle feels ok, the only pain is from swelling when i have been on my feet for a while.
    i have ridden my bike around the carpark at work a few times. it feels ok. my ankle feels fused, there is no movement in it, no pain from it.

and the 6 weeks is up tomorrow.

ride or not?

docrobster
    Free Member

I wouldn’t.

scotroutes

The doctor wouldn’t suggest an x-ray if he could tell just by you visiting him. I doubt you’ll know better than him.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I would start with more walking and some very light ankle flexing movements. Do that gently to start with and see how it reacts. Some leg raises to start quads working too.

iainc

Wait for the x-rays…. You could set yourself right back. Not worth it for a few weeks.

mcnultycop

No chance. I felt ready to ride but the doc showed me on the X-ray where my elbow hadn’t fully “knitted”. Another knock would’ve done serious damage. Just hold on until the all clear.

mcnultycop

Also haven’t you got a physio?

ton

just to add, when i said cycling, i meant with the aircast on, which is rock solid and allows no flex in the foot.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘back to riding before seeing surgeon?’ is closed to new replies.