Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Back to Flats – Superstar Nano or Spesh Bennies?
  • Alex

After a day with the legendary beard that is Ed Oxley, and an impending trip to the alps, I’m switching back to flats for the first time in six years. Big ride yesterday, was mostly ace, have clearly got into a very bad habit of picking the bike up with my SPDs over jumps. Scary 😉

Anyway on the bike are a very old pair of Kona Jacksh*t flats which were are okay, but don’t feel anywhere as near as grippy as what my riding pals have. Both the Nano and the Bennie seem to have loads of grip (which is what I’m interested in) and both are £60 or less.

Any experience of either? Option is I could just buy some new pins for the JackSh*t’s, but that’d mean no new shiny things….

zbonty

Both those you mention seem excellent for the money. DMR vaults look good too. Theres a good round up in the latest issue of Dirt of a whole host of flats, but any of the above are good.

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve had both and prefer the Nanos, had a good few pairs of Nanos (or different brands of the same pedal) and rate them highly as a fit and forget, strong and low maintenance pedal, Bennies are good too but aren’t quite as low profile and that bit more expensive. You won’t go wrong with either but i’d go for Nanos every time. Other companies do them slightly cheaper than Superstar so have a search on here and i’m sure you’ll find a link as I can’t remember the shop off the top of my head.

stevede
    Free Member

Have Vaults on my dh bike too, different price bracket again, mine have taken a battering, have bent an axle but that was less than a fiver to replace, great platform but if you have a budget in mind they are not twice as good as a set of Nanos.

Alex

Ta. Good reason to buy a copy of dirt them assuming the graphic designer has stopped printing yellow on white… Our LBS mech runs Vaults and not too impressed by the grip. I have some old V12s on my playbike and they seem massive now compared to nano’s etc.

Think I’d best also get some new 5-10s. When I last bought mine there was exactly one model.

vondally
    Free Member

wellgo pedals, b27 s at the moment but used a few models and outperformed all of vaults and easton i have used including cullys.
    Use of terror pins helps but mix the lengths of the pins.

Using vibram soled shoes ratherthan skate shoes, vibram usually stiffer for pedaling, plus more protection in rocks and so on as the walking approach shoe does have a good mix of toe box/rand and heel cup protection.

5 10 are grippy but the pair i had did not last either fabric or sole.

i believe companies offer a resole in similar rubber, so if you have an older shoe may be worth a look

PrinceJohn

Have a look at nuke proof pedals on crc, same as the superstar ones but were cheaper.

badllama
    Free Member

Nano through pin every time 🙂

PrinceJohn
    Northwind

You can get Nanos fro Superstar, CRC (branded Nukeproof), Exotic, Ready To Ride and Moose- just pick whatever’s cheapest really. Very good- well made, durable, sensible weights. The magnesium alloy ones like to shed pins a bit though.

Alex – Member

Ta. Good reason to buy a copy of dirt them assuming the graphic designer has stopped printing yellow on white..

It’s all blue on purple these days :mrgreen:

andymc06
    Free Member

Nanos are very good for the money but Vaults are a better pedal. I had a go on a mates bike for a section at Llandegla last week and was surprised at the reduced grip of the Nanos compared to my Vaults.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Back to Flats – Superstar Nano or Spesh Bennies?’ is closed to new replies.