Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Back protection
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Currently sat in hospital having had a seriously close call after t-boning myself on a tree last night and nearly snapping myself in two.

Made me consider back protection for trail riding either in the shape of a back protector backpack (need a new hydration pack coincidentally) or a jacket like the Poc vest

Anyone got any experience or advice in this area and I’ve had the bejesus scared out of me.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Mate done something similar. So I purchased an Evoc fr trail pack, awesome piece of kit and as good as the reviews state.

iainc

Also swopped to Evoc packs a few months ago. Very comfy and added reassurance.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kimbers

Got a decathlon one with spine protection, its pretty good, though probably too much capacity for regular rides

tom.nash

I use a Evoc FR Trail pack for coaching/guiding but if racing I use an Evoc vest that containes the same back protector – never tested either in anger fortunately. The down side is that it does make for a very sweaty back but I would rather that than not wear one. Glad you are ok.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Thanks – thimking the pack is the best option.

Turns out the Ct scan picked up that ive fractured 5 vertebrae – so very lucky!

kayak23

Glad you’re ok.
    I always wear my Evoc fr Enduro now. Very comfortable pack.
    People around me seem to be going down the water bottle on frame and bum bag look.
    I’ll stick to my pack….

sambob
    Free Member

I bought a 20l Evoc FR pack and I’ve been very happy with it. The thick waist belt does get a bit warm but it also seems much more secure than a normal thin waist belt so It’s a compromise I’m willing to make.

EDIT: It is big though, too much for most of my riding but it’ll be nice to have the space in winter I’m sure.

poey50
    Free Member

Also very happy with my Evoc.

funkrodent

I’ll tenth (or so) the Evoc kit. Got one of their backpacks and I rate it highly. Superbly made bit of kit. So much so that when I was hike-a-biking in the Lakes I was able to suspend my 30lb+ bike from the helmet straps on the back and they didn’t break. Got to love them Germans!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I really rate the Bluegrass Grizzly Lite vest. I couldn’t quite get on with the fit enough to buy it as was between sizes, but it was lightweight, flexible and comfortable back protector, much so than any other on the market that I tried…..and I tried most in trying to get something that worked for me.
    A mate bought one and really rates it, I’ll get one if the sizing works better for me on the 2016 model.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Thegrizzly lite looks good – just wonderingabout heat build up

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

My mate is finding his OK, though bear in mind the hottest its been through is Scottish summer. Akin to a medium weight base layer.
    Race Face Ambush spine is another one worth a look though the back protector is much shorter than in the Bluegrass.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

What sort of riding is he using his for?

I imagine the Scottish summer is like the English one just a bit warmer 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Almost broke my spine two years back – miraculously didn’t fracture anything but had six hours immobilised in hospital whilst X-rays were taken, analysed and more and more experienced consultants called on. Was a few months before I could ride comfortably again and am still dealing with the mental issues. Bought an Evoc FR Lite after that and always wear it – really comfy which is a bonus. Everything from XC to uplift days, mostly in sunny Sussex.

dudeofdoom

I’ve got the evoc enduro black line thingy……

I ride a lot on my own and tbh if your gonna wear a camelbak/bag might as well have it with the back protection..

bit weird wearing at first with the wide waistband but soon got used to it…

the other thing people forget is that it protects you against the stuff your carrying in your bag. landing on multi tools , keys etc can be a bit iff.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Sounds like you had a similarly close call although I wasn’t immobilised. I’m already aware of the mental issues from this – have replayed it a 1000 times already. Scares the crap out me thinking of what could have happened.

So the pack, you confident it gives you enough protection? What pack did you have before?

kimbers

I like my decathlon back protector pack but its massive

So I got a motorbike jacket d30 spine protector off eBay for a few quid and it fits nicely in the bladder pocket nicely of my much smaller dakine 🙂

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/773/20775291241_1f1e5e9226_k.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

haggis1978

Evoc pack here as well. Also got a Spot Gen3 tracker as well for even more peace of mind.

pigeonthing
    Free Member

ve, got a pod spine protector….its not the vest…just the spine, its light and comfortable and gives a large amount of protection but i use it for DH and though i don’t notice it at all, i think i would be going for a pack type one for general riding..ive had an evoc backpack for two years no complaints

benpinnick

Like Kimbers I run one of those in my Osprey pack as I prefer the Ospreys to Evoc. Mine came from my RF Flank vest though, which means I can also fun the full vest (with chest/shoulders) too if I’m racing rather than just trail riding. FWIW the vest is very comfy and a lot cooler/easier to ride in than it has the right to be.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Interesting – I didn’t know if the inserts could be bought separately. What size is it?

One of the questions on my mind is whats the better material – D3O or the eps foam evoc use? I’m assuming the tests show they both are up to a standard but in the real world which would protect you more?

helpful1
    Free Member

Yeah, they can be bought separately from most town centres. Here’s my UCI certified back protection.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Not sure that would have stopped me fracturing 5 vertebrae but tempted to give it a go – what size? 9 or 12inch? 😉

marko75
    Free Member

Evoc +100. I had the same issue after buggering up a jump. and landing badly. Bought the evoc after thinking I was more likely to wear a back pack than a bespoke top – especially in the warmer weather. Survived the alps (seemed v. popular)

crispy1980
    Free Member

Has anyone got a link to the decathlon one? I remember seeing it a while back but can’t seem to see it on the decathlon site?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Not sure that would have stopped me fracturing 5 vertebrae but tempted to give it a go – what size? 9 or 12inch?

But a bit of foam/injection moulded plastic will?

Like all armour, it’s very unlikely to stop you breaking something if you hit it hard enough. it ‘should’ help dissipate some energy for something that would have been soft tissue damage.

crispy1980
    Free Member

No it was a cycling specific one. Had a go pro mount space on the buckle. There is one similar on there but doesn’t have and back protection

crispy1980
    Free Member

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/720-hydration-pack-grey-id_8327936.html

It was this but the next model up, can assume it’s no longer stocked.

chiefgrooveguru

The Evoc back protector is tested to motorbike standards. It’s rated at level 2 (18kN residual energy in the standard test) but actually attains 9.75kN. Level 1 would be <9kN. So it’s an effective piece of kit. This test is quite similar to the bicycle helmet test.

However nothing will conclusively prevent spinal injuries but as its a very comfy pack which feels very stable and light once it’s on, and it does protect your whole back area from less extreme injury (and may be just enough to prevent serious spinal injury) then I can’t find a downside to wearing one (apart from the price).

chiefgrooveguru

I was wearing a Camelbak Mule when I had my crash. I suspect it stopped me breaking some ribs but also that its narrow shape strained lots of the connective tissue and muscle in my back as I came down very hard on it (see below):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rEV9uBdLRKo

I doubt I’ll ever have such a level of mental failure as that but if it happens again I hope I’ll bail like I normally would rather than being such a passenger!

jam-bo

would the evoc protector fit in a Evoc CC 10L, looks like you can get them for about £17 online. I rarely run a bladder so there is plenty of space.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

However nothing will conclusively prevent spinal injuries but as its a very comfy pack which feels very stable and light once it’s on, and it does protect your whole back area from less extreme injury (and may be just enough to prevent serious spinal injury) then I can’t find a downside to wearing one (apart from the price).

Exactly, hit a tree at 20mph with your back, and you’re in trouble, regardless.

The rest is subjective, having ridden with one and found it amazingly uncomfortable, it was somewhat academic, as it wasn’t going to be used.

They seem to be a bit of a Marmite pack for fit & comfort.

But then I’m probably a special case, as I find all packs uncomfortable, the one I use when I have to, is probably the least uncomfortable for its purpose. Still rather ride with nothing there though.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Having hit a tree at speed I think any protection is worthwhile. I know I was lucky having a pack on which happened to have my elbow pads in – I dread to think how it would have been otherwise

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Absolutely, it’s up to you decide where that line of ‘how much protection should I wear’ though.

Otherwise we would all be dressed as Storm Troopers in the local woods for every ride.

kimbers

Crispy 1980

I have the decathlon one but its way more capacity than I need was gonna stick it on the classifieds

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Back protection’ is closed to new replies.