Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Back pedal brakes (childs bike content)
  • yetidave
    Free Member

Can you disable them without causing damage?

There is an arm on the non drive side attached to the frame, if i take that off it should stop the forces which drive the brake, but will that do anything nasty to the inners of the hub?

Simon-E

When I asked Islabikes about this for my daughter's Cnoc I was told that it's more involved than just removing the metal torque arm. I think you have to remove part of the mechanism in the hub, but it can be done:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bicycles/1speed/1speed_overhaul.htm

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

normaly if you take the hub apaprt (usual cup and cone instructions) there will be 2 curved metal plates (usualy brass) mounted over a cone, and a threaded/spiral bit which drives them along the cone and out to the hub shell.

you shopuld be able to figure it out from there. either take out the bit that pushes the plates, or the plates themselves, whatever looks least likely to result in things getting jammed in that particular hub.

yetidave
    Free Member

Thanks, from what i now gather, I can take it appart, but it does not really turn it back into a normal freewheel? Maybe getting a new back wheel from the dump maybe a good idea until my little yeti is a bit more confident in setting off.

Simon-E

thisisnotaspoon's description sounds about right.

My daughter struggled with the Cnoc's system but when I asked her Isla suggested she scoot to start off and since trying it her confidence has improved no end.

yetidave
    Free Member

Legs only just long enough to keep balance, not planted enough to scoot yet (she does have a runenr bike as well). Iritating thing, once shes going, she flys around the street, 90 deg turns, on and off curbs, pulling stoppies back wheel up with the front brake. Just the getting going is causing some issues as she can't get the pedals into the right position easily.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Back pedal brakes (childs bike content)’ is closed to new replies.