Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Back on the saddle
  • tomo51
    Free Member

So after taking a break of nearly 15 years i’m finally back on a bike!!! Decided to go down the fat route and picked up a Calibre dune from Go Outdoors. I know fatties are a bit of a marmite bike however after trying out various bikes (hardball, full suspension, fat bikes) the fatty won me over.

I’m a bit fat (well a lot) and with the bigger wheels it felt much better for me than any of the other bikes.

I picked the bike up late last week but it’s been sat doing nothing until i sorted out some suitable storage for it (wife wouldn’t allow it back in the house once it had been used) and it’s been itching away at me to get out on it. I finished off the shed earlier this morning at this evening i took it for a spin around the local reservoir (approx 3 miles). In true fashion i chose to do it when it was absolutely bouncing down and at night without any lights (gets dark in the forests surrounding the reservoir – lesson learnt for next time). Being on the larger side i was concerned how i would get on however i absolutely LOVED it. Really comfortable ride and the fat tyres just flew over rocks and roots etc. Made it around in just shy of 19 minutes which i’m pretty impressed with and only pushed it up one hill! Sh*t myself part way round when a dog bared its teeth and tried attacking me. It’s owner wasn’t able to control it. i offered up my size 10’s as there was no way i’d let it sink its teeth into the tyres hahahaha.

Definitely reignited my passion – dreading how i’m going to feel in the morning though. May ask Mrs T for a rub down later 🙂 🙂 🙂

fadda

Good post, although we’re still waiting for that flipping “like” button…

I had a dune for a while – bloomin’ great bike – such a laugh. Made me feel like a kid again.

Where are you/which reservoir?

Poopscoop

Great post OP!

No pun intended but try to keep the momentum up during the colder/darker months too. A set of lights for night riding adds a whole new element to riding and allows you more time to do it… Rather than having to put the hammer down before the sun sets and making like a vampire-phobic biker! Lol 😀

Poopscoop

Oh,I forgot!

You have to post a pic of the Dune. It’s the law on here.

I don’t own one but the look so damned nice clean or muddied up they always bring a smile to my ugly mug. 😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

Excellent work. Keep it up.

tomo51
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Not as stiff as i thought i would be this morning which has surprised me. Ill be back out on it again either tonight or early tomorrow morning (id rather do it when theres not many people about just whilst im getting to grips with things again… otherwise someone could easily make £250 off Youve Been Framed by videoing me rolling about like a pig in sh*t if/when i come off LOL).

The mission for today is to get myself sorted with some lights… any suggestions would be really appreciated. I know watching back the video from last nights ride there were parts where its like the blair witch project… forest looked pitch black… the mind begins to wonder hahahaha).

Im in Bolton and have loads on my doorstep. Turton and Entwistle Reservoir (thats what i did last night and a little more), Wayoh Reservoir, Jumbles Reservoir, The West Pennine Moors and theres part of the Lancashire cycle route too. Also got Rivington not far so im spoilt for choice. If any of you are local and have the patience to have a a slow one tag along please let me know.

Pic of the bike prior to the ride on its way

tomo51
    Free Member
    5thElefant
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Not as stiff as i thought i would be this morning which has surprised me.

Try a different saddle?

tomo51
    Free Member

Already changed the seat mate. The one that came with ot was like dental floss to my arse. The seat is comfortable now

batman11
    Free Member

Well done mate when I’m fit I love riding my fat bike along with the other bikes to.
    Just in case you don’t know there’s a uk fatbike closed page on Facebook search for it and ask to Join. Good friendly group and more than likely there’ll be some like minded fattys near yup to meet up with once your happy to ride with others.

oink1
    Free Member

Welcome to the portly side! 😀

takisawa2

Welcome, to the mad house.

Getting pics on here is a faff…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XAvuMU]Dune.[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

tomo51
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I jumped on it again last night and had a great ride. Its much nicer when its not raining lol.

Just out of interest is there any threads or can you advise how to upload pics on here? Ive just started using Instagram and cannot work out how to share my photos from that other than sharing the link to my page

NormalMan

As well as this fine forum, I’d also recommend UK fat bikes website. Need a a bit of patience when joining up but it’s a great place IME. Not as active as it used to be but loads of good info on there and a real friendly group too.

Nice pics on Insta btw.

tomo51
    Free Member

Thanks Normal Man 😀 i will keep adding to my Instagram feed so look out for more to come mate 😀

I’ll also take a look at the UK fat bike website. I did consider joining however i’ve read some posts from a year or two ago advising that people think its closed down. Glad to hear that it hasn’t (will join up this afternoon).

So after a few weeks at it i absolutely love it and cannot figure out why i haven’t done it sooner. I’ve got a ‘usual’ route sorted out now and looking to expand it by dropping on to nearby trails. I can feel my health improving too. My first ride out i was knackered after a few minutes and had to push me and the bike up a few inclines however now I’m flying around and hammering the inclines.

Not 100% comfortable with my seat height so i’m going to raise it today and see how i get on. i was always of the impression that the seat should be high enough so that my feet are flat on the floor but it appears that isn’t the case (forgive me – still a noob!).

I’ll keep stopping by to update every once in a while.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Back on the saddle’ is closed to new replies.