Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Back in the Saddle….why I am scared?!
  • misssteele
    Free Member

Hi all – so after taking a while to get myself sorted after my separation i have finally bought myself a bike again 🙂 I have been mountain biking on and off since the late nineties and just loved it but my then partner didnt like it much and then i had kids , sold the bike etc…..

For some reason i’m really apprehensive this time about getting out and meeting new people, not sure why.

I feel a bit old now (33) and none of my friends would be convinced to give it a go ! Me i crave it, the feeling of tearing down a perfect bit of singletrack with the odd dodgy bit thrown in to keep the adrenaline going 😛

I’ve still got all my stuff but the only thing lacking is confidence and partners in crime 😕

I’m just north of Aberdeen and basically w.e are my only chance to get out when my ex has the kids. I thought i could maybe join the Neeps Mtb Club but i get solo shy and nervous that i talk myself out of it !

Encouraging words? Any women up this neck of the woods?

Thanks 🙂

Clover

Old!! I didn’t *start* mountain biking until I was 5 years older than you are now… love the fact that I’m learning new stuff all the time and do the odd race now and again. If you’ve done it before then you’re super lucky and it’ll all come back in spades.

Really sorry we’re down south as far as you’re concerned (Calderdale) otherwise you’d be welcome to come out with us. Just go for a spin, then another….

khani
    Free Member

33 OMG!! Shouldn’t you be wearing zip up bootys and be pulling a tartan trolley at your age..
    It’s a good job you’ve hads kids cos you’re waaaaaay past it now..
    😉
    [bloody 33 old my arse]…

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Never think to hard about these things. Go out for rides somewhere interesting and you’ll meet people you like from time to time.
    My whole race team was created when I got on with the people I parked next to on my first ever race (I was on my own and very nervous). Never can tell what’ll happen so just sort yourself out and the rest will come.
    Oh yeah, I was 35 when I started mtb’ing.

motozulu
    Free Member

49 when I started and meeting new mates almost every time I go out. I do only ride the Cannock trail centre at the mo true, but you can’t avoid chatting these places are so busy.

Get out and enjoy it, you’ll be fine.

yetidave
    Free Member

i know its a few miles away, but the Stirling MTB club has ladies only rides. Wouldn’t be supprised if there are other clubs/websites with like minded folk, just go and meet up. Whats the worst that can happen, you don’t like it and dont go again and end up going somewehre else instead. main thing is, just get out and ride!

andynaismith
    Free Member

I started MTBing last May – aged 43 following a 20 year break since having last been on a bike.

After a couple of months of mucking about on my own I joined Glasgow MTB Meetup group – if you have anything similar up there join it NOW – absolutely perfect for what your looking for, alternatively if you dont mind a wee bit of travelling join either the Glasgow or Edinburgh meetup groups and pick meets which you are able to get to. Seriously good bunch of people with a massive mix of abilities and ages – both male and female.

Whilst most of our meets are arranged for around Glasgow there are many weekend and day rides around the country – you don’t need to be in Glasgow to join!

I now get out about twice a week and have met some really great people and ridden some fantastic trails.

Also have a look on trailscotland – quite a few members from the north-east.

Cheers,

Andy

euain

I’m in a small group that heads out on Monday nights (7 or 8 of us up Millstone/Bennachie tonight) if you want some company.

I live just outside Oldmeldrum so probably riding in fairly local to you – drop me a note if you want more details (my email should be in my profile).

We’ve a big mix of abilities/speeds but Monday nights are a pretty social affair – plenty of breaks to regroup and the likes. No pressure to go faster.

We’ve only got one woman that comes out with any regularity – but it’s definitely not a boys’ club!

EDIT – we do head out other times as well as Mondays – as I see you can only do weekends.

honourablegeorge

My mate has been off the bike a few months, had the same struggle for confidence. Got it back after three or four spins. Go ride your bike.

Houns

You want JoJo, but beware she has bigger balls then all us men in here combined

oldbloke
    Free Member

I don’t know what age your kids are, but is it possible to ride with them? My wife was really nervous getting back after they were born, both about riding trails and who she went out with. Going out with the kids for short rides (at first) got both her confidence and fitness returning to the point she’s now suggesting rides she wants to do.

misssteele
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys . My boys are too young to take with me so it look sas if i will have to bite the bullet and meet up on some club nights :-/

Thanks Euain – will do 🙂

Deveron53
    Free Member

Hi, Alford/Dyce biker here. Me and other half also been a bit scared of joining the Neeps due to lack of fitness. Getting a small group of unfit but improving riders together. Mainly riding at Pitfichie but will be all over the area soon. Small minibus heading to Braemar/Tomintoul when weather gets better. Drop me a pm to discuss.

nikk
    Free Member

Do you / did you ever ride by yourself? I enjoy company when riding, but also like the solo XC trips on my tod. It’s good to be able to do that from time to time.

Clubs can be intimidating things just to walk into cold. See if you can find someone in the club, tell them you’d like to go along, see if they will take you under their wing somewhat. If you are feeling uneasy, this will help lots. Even if you can’t do that, I bet the club will be welcoming and it’ll be fine. Jump in! Don’t overthink it!

Sandwich

33, I didn’t start properly until my 40’s. JoJo is a bit quick, from having seen results of racing in the Northern Wilderness. Proper tear your legs off fast! From my girl friends experience get some coaching to help with the head game.

Bunnyhop

Have to agree with the others that 33 is definitely not old.

I went to a local bike shop and asked if there were any newbie mtbing women around, when I first started out. Found myself in a group pretty quickly and we’ve all been good friends now for over 13 years.

Also maybe book yourself onto a skills course with other women and see if you can meet up for rides after the course.

garage-dweller

I am not old but I am older than you! I am one of the youngest in the club I ride with but its still very social.

In the 25+ years I have been turning my own pedals on club rides and tt’s (a long time ago) I can cpunt the number of obnoxious cyclists on my fingers. When I joined my current club I was unfit and out of practice. Amazing hpw a good group dynamic changes that for the better.

Good luck to you.

solarpowered
    Free Member

You’re scared because you’re dealing/ have had to deal with a lot!!!!! Don’t be so hard on yourself.
    You know what you want – to go mountain biking again. You know what you need to do – join a few peeps.

Make that first step (euain looks promising to me) and you won’t look back! Trust me, I KNOW! ….. And I’m 39 😉

Go have some fun! You deserve it! 😀

MartynS

It’s really scary, but just do it.. Stop finding excuses.
    I seems like you want to get out there, seriously just do it..you might have fun!!! Oh and 33…you bloody young ‘Uns don’t make us slightly more mature types look silly….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Back in the Saddle….why I am scared?!’ is closed to new replies.