Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Back in the saddle (again!)
  • sootyandjim
    Free Member

Some of you may remember me as an irritant/fellow rider/bloody Chocolate-footer/etc who used to frequent these parts. Well a few years back I had a fairly serious back injury, which led to me having to curtail my mtbing, until about three years back I tried to get back into it. Well the ‘bug’ didn’t really bite again and I ended up selling all but one of my bikes. I had fallen out of love with MTBing.

Fast forward to now, with a few things going on in my life and a need to get out on my own and have some time to myself, my wife says “why don’t you go out on your bike?” That one remaining bike, sat in the shed, cared for and kept clean but not ridden in over three years.. “I’ll give it a go”, I reply.

So today I headed out to Sherwood Pines, somewhere I’d previously spent hours and hours cycling around. Well I headed out then had to make my way back, forgot my cycling shoes! So off I set again.

Arrive at the Pines and the car park is relatively deserted, a few riders milling about post-ride but otherwise quiet. I head out on the Kitchener Trail, wobbling along at first, as if I’d just had my training wheels taken off. I was sure any minute I’d have an off and end up dragging myself back to the car park in a huff, but I persevered.

I got about a third of the way around and it seems my muscles are starting to remember what to do. I’m picking up the pace and before I know it I’m looking further down the trail rather than just beyond my front wheel and I’m positioning myself to hit the berms, rather than pick around the corners like I’m wearing L-plates.

Before I know it I’m at the ‘DH’ area, “shall I skirt around and play it safe for today?” Nope, my body seems to want to go faster! I’m hitting every little lip and bump as fast as I can, urging the bike skywards as often as I can. And then there it is, that feeling that I used to love so much. Bike, rider, trail. “Damn I’ve missed this”.

I ease back a little, pootle back to the cafe and enjoy what I feel was a well-earned piece of cake and a cup of tea.

Sometimes our wives really do know what is best for us!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Well done you! Sounds like you had a right laugh. Now you need to keep it up and remember how much you enjoy it 🙂

Euro
    Free Member

And ditto what John said..don’t forget to remember.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And then there it is, that feeling that I used to love so much. Bike, rider, trail. “Damn I’ve missed this”.

I ease back a little, pootle back to the cafe and enjoy what I feel was a well-earned piece of cake and a cup of tea.

WHERE’S THE DAMNED “LIKE” BUTTON?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Cheers Guys.

Made some Tartiflette after I got back, perhaps the best post-ride food, and am currently trying to catch up on what is happening in the mountain bike world.

650b, 27+, electric motors on mtbs, I’m out of my depth already!! Can anyone recommend a decent EBB hardtail frame so I can build up a singlespeed? I left my Dialedbikes Love/Hate with my brother and it’s likely sitting unused, an ocean away from me.

njee20
    Free Member

Made some Tartiflette after I got back, perhaps the best post-ride food

Agreed!

and am currently trying to catch up on what is happening in the mountain bike world

Wheels got bigger. Then smaller. Cassettes got bigger and have more sprockets. Front mechs are now for losers. Seatposts now have more travel than forks of 5 years ago. Everything is carbon. TJ got banned.

That’s about it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Made some Tartiflette after I got back

Wheels got bigger. Then smaller. Cassettes got bigger and have more sprockets. Front mechs are now for losers. Seatposts now have more travel than forks of 5 years ago. Everything is carbon. TJ got banned.

That’s about it.

Also

MrSmith
    Free Member

650b, 27+, electric motors on mtbs, I’m out of my depth already!! Can anyone recommend a decent EBB hardtail frame so I can build up a singlespeed? I left my Dialedbikes Love/Hate with my brother and it’s likely sitting unused, an ocean away from m

That’s my old frame isn’t it? Can’t remember who that went to but I may have been you?
    I have a new unbuilt L/H in the loft and almost a total build kit (forks /cranks/seat post/stem/bars /brakes etc)
    Contact me on the book of face if interested.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Yes it was your frame MrSmith!!

Message received.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Back in the saddle (again!)’ is closed to new replies.