Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Back Garden Trampolines – do I need one?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Have you got a trampoline for your kids? Gardens with kids (middle class ones anyway) seem incomplete without one these days so do I need to get one for my 4 year old son? My wife thinks so but I think a decent climbing frame would be a better long-term bet as my son loves climbing – he does like going on his friends’ trampolines though. If my wife had her way the back garden would be a fully kitted out play ground but I like the garden to mostly look like a garden. What’s the answer? Seems to me that kids have a lot more these days than back in my day when I was mostly happy with my bike and lego – plus the odd tree to climb up. So partly I’m concerned about him being spoilt by having too much stuff – he already has the biggest room in the house as a play room stuffed with toys.

wwaswas

Get the trampoline. They’ll play for hours on one.

Make sure you get one of the safety nets unless you enjoy frequent trips to A&E with your and other people’s children.

they’ll grow out of a climbing frame – my 12 year old still uses the trampoline we bought 7 years ago.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes and they do love it. Definitely money well spent for us. My son’s six and still loves playing on it.

he already has the biggest room in the house as a play room stuffed with toys.

I think you should target that rather than the trampoline – it’s outdoors and it’s exercise – to me that’s a double plus more than being something spoiling them.

david47
    Free Member

We have a huge climbing frame, and a huge trampoline… The trampoline is used at least three times as much as the climbing frame… But my kids (4 and 5 year old girls) use both… a lot! And the wife uses the trampoline after a few beers 🙂
    Would not have got either with out ebay though…

StirlingCrispin

My boys were playing on ours when I left for work this morning.

Put a grumpy child on a trampoline and they’ll be laughing within seconds. The change is hilarious to watch.

Saccades
    Free Member

Kids love them and they are great as an adult too – certainly helps with your core muscles doing all the silly jumps and stuff.

Also brilliant as a giant canvas for chalk drawings which will wash off with a light shower/hose.

You will get a patch of bare grass underneath unless you keep moving it though.

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s worth noting that they’re really comfortable for lying on like a huge sun lounger 🙂

bedmaker

Get the trampoline, the bigger the better. It’s easily the best vfm thing in our garden, and healthy too.

Ours was cheap as chips SH which helps, but I’d have bought new quite happily. I’d have loved one as a kid but they just weren’t around then.

Putting 4 or 5 kids around 6-7 year old on it then catapulting them into the aitr is good excercise too!

bedmaker

As above, I’d second the sun lounger/ chalkboard versatility. It sees a fair bit of use as a mini theatre too 🙂

deano8
    Free Member

Plus one for nemesis, just got in off our after a small kip:)

tonyd

Yep get one, we did and the kids love it. Get the largest you can afford or fit (unobtrusively) in the garden. I think the most we’ve had in ours (10 ft) so far is 9, from 2 years to 17.

Edit: And as above, it’s fresh air and exercise, what’s not to like! (Neighbours might disagree).
    Edit 2: As for the rest of the garden I just cleared a corner of ours that had large rocks randomly dispersed (not quite a rockery) and piled them all up. 5 minutes after I finished piling them up it was covered in cars and action figures (2 boys, aged 3 and 4) – plenty of ‘natural’ things for them to do in a garden.

MoreCashThanDash

Make sure you get the safety net. My lads mates were round the other week, and one didn’t understand why I insisted he zip it up once he’d got on, as his parents didn’t bother.

“You remember the time you broke your arm?”

“Yeah”

“And your brother broke his ankle?”

“Er, yeah”

“And your sisters mate broke her wrist….?”

“Ok, I’ll zip it up… ”

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I got a free 10ft one in the winter storms; it appeared in my garden one night.

Maybe in winter it’ll move on but my kids adore it.

nedrapier

Apparentlty yes! Then you can make yourself one of these and get those indian airs dialled:

http://www.bmx-forum.com/t/72416/howto-make-a-trampoline-bike

wrightyson
    Free Member

The 12ft trampoline that’s here is hammered regularly by children and adults alike. We have such a laugh on ours.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I got a free 10ft one in the winter storms; it appeared in my garden one night.
    Maybe in winter it’ll move on but my kids adore it.

The same storms provided me with the most random conversation ever with my neighbour. He knocked on my door and asked “have you seen the cow on the trampoline?”
    Sure enough a massive trampoline had blown into the farmers field next to us and there was indeed a cow on it!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have thankfully just got rid of a really big rectangular monstrosity that took up about a 5th of my garden, put some plants in & I’m trying to seed what’s left of the grass, all is well in my life again 😉
    Oh, & I went the opposite way on the net, when they get to 8 or 10 stone ( no aspersions as they are 15 & 17) then no net is going to stop them having an accident so I took it away to make them aware of the risk.

Cheers.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Apparently they account for a large proportion of kids broken arms\legs in A&E

monkeychild
    Free Member

In other news going outside can.be dangerous. Get one they are ace fun. My boys love it (3&4)

Legoman
    Free Member

We splashed out about £500 on a decent one 4 years ago.
    I was worried the novelty would wear off after 6 months, but they still use it almost daily.

Without doubt the best value thing we’ve ever bought our kids.

The climbing frame, on the other hand,…….

yunki
    Free Member

yes

sadmadalan

We had a good climbing frame – sold it for a fortune on ebay and got a trampoline. Eventually sold it when the youngest went to Uni (again via ebay). We never had a net – not sure why not since we were regulars at A&E. Great fun, many many hours spent on it. In terms of hours spent vs cost probably the best thing we bought for our two.

bigblackshed

We have a garden that looks like a play ground. Boy2 has grown out of it all except the trampoline. The trampoline was the best value for money by a long shot. It’s time to start claiming our garden back, so the big swing frame and the climbing frame and slide are going.

We bought TP kit so it has lasted, by comparison next door have bought 3 cheap nasty trampolines in the same time scale as our 1 TP. So you do get what you pay for.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

They are fantastic for practising snowboarding jumps and being comfortable in the air in the off season

neilforrow

Has anyone got any recommendations?
    Does this look any good? Tramp link

natrix
    Free Member

Mrs Natrix thinks that they look ugly so our children have to do without. I did offer to sink it in a pit in the garden so that we wouldn’t need a net, but that didn’t get SWMBO approval……….

bigblackshed

Neilforrow.

Try this: RECOMMEND WHAT YOU HAVE!!!

Legoman
    Free Member

Try this: http://www.jumpking.co.uk/product-GB.asp?id=1000

Our still looks very presentable after several years (we replaced a torn net last year).

terrahawk
    Free Member

trampolines are ace. Our two play on it every day.
    harry_the_spider won’t get one for his kids, the big grump.

tonyd

We got a TP trampeaze or something, was half price at the time direct from TP.

davosaurusrex

As others have said ours is ugly and PITA the mow the (now mossy) lawn underneath but the kids love it. No major injuries yet but could easily happen, such is life. Spent about 3 times as much as the trampoline on a wendy house on stilts and it gets about 10% as much use. Sand pit doesn’t get much of a look in either……

mudshark
    Free Member

Looks like a trampoline is the best garden option then, just have to persuade my wife that son can’t have a house, climbing frame and slide as well. Will have to do some digging as garden is on a slope.

Not sure how much to think about the A&E thing:

http://www.momsteam.com/team-of-experts/gwenn-schurgin-okeeffe-md-faap/sports-safety/trampolines-are-dangerous-even-with-net

scruff9252

I dont have kids but a house a few doors down the street has one and it seems every kid in the neighbourhood plays on it.

Whilst children’s laughter is to be commended, please, please, please oil the blinking thing.

For the last month every night till 9 all you hear is laughter(good) and an incessant squeeking (not so fun).

hooli

They are brilliant, hours of entertainment for the kids and me 😆

DezB
    Free Member

middle class ones anyway

I took exception to this comment, so went to a Google Earth image of a random area of my local council estate

Middle class my arse

wombat

They pay for themselves fairly quickly, you get £250 off Harry Hill for each video of someone launching into the shrubbery*

*launching into the shrubbery isn’t a euphemism (in this case)

wwaswas

Middle class my arse

Spotters guide;

1) the middle class ones have nets to prevent Tarquin injuring himself.

2) council estates don’t and rely on the NHS and, in the case of a bad accident, having spare children.

(please note: this is not a serious post)

mudshark
    Free Member

middle class ones anyway

I don’t know any working class people so my comment was based on my experience.

DezB
    Free Member

Fair enough mudshark. They’re not worth knowing anyway.

(note: same as wwaswas)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Back Garden Trampolines – do I need one?’ is closed to new replies.