Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Back country SOS emergencies? GPS/satellite devices
  • craig5

Just seen Cedric Gracia’s near life ending crash, didn’t look like a biggie. But he broke his pelvis and severed a main artery (can’t remember what it’s called) in his groin, which can cause you to bleed out in minutes. A bar , brake lever or branch in the groin could do the same thing. He was very lucky, is very fit ( and new what to do, what was happening) and emergency services were easily contacted by race staff by radio. Who knows of devices where you can get in touch with emergency services when no phone coverage is present? I know you can get devices that will send a distress signal out, but in an instance like this without direct contact/specific message to whoever your toast. Surely there must be some other option to a satellite phone. I hope

scotroutes

Spot tracker will transmit a SOS to the emergency services along with your location.

craig5

I know but it will only send an SOS, it won’t give any details of the emergency and won’t allow you to communicate with them, what will allow communication?

scotroutes

Satellite phone only. On a cost vs probability basis, how many could justify it?

geoffj

What Scott said

richpips
    Free Member

Spot Connect paired with your mobile will send a short text message.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_radiobeacon
    In Australia the EPIRB is used, I think it depends what frequencies the local Search and Rescue listen on in some ways.

richpips
    Free Member

If you didn’t know you can register your phone so you can text to 999.

This might save you where there is a very poor phone signal which is no good for making a call.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Look up an app called echo 112 .. its a free app which sends your location to local emergency services

jekkyl

I misread this as black country sos…. you probably would need emergency help if you ever found yourself in dudley. 😕

globalti
    Free Member

You’ve got to be conscious to operate a transmitter. Surely someone could build a device that senses big impacts then gives you a minute to deactivate it before it sends out an SOS with your locaton?

ChrisE
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

Carry an oldSamsung or Nokia brick sim-free.

Seriously OP if you knocked yourself out (more likely) you’d be waiting to come round anyway. If with others you’d be seeking a signal.

What next flares?
    Pack an old phone.

Just ride.

crazy-legs

Surely someone could build a device that senses big impacts then gives you a minute to deactivate it before it sends out an SOS with your locaton?

What, like this?
    Icedot

scotroutes

The OP is looking for something that works where there is no phone/SMS signal.

gwaelod
    Free Member

ARCC at Kinloss used to see EPIRBs going off all over the world pretty much…..not sure what the score is now Nimrods are gone

maxtorque

In CG’s case, without immediate help from riding buddies, i’d suggest he could have been dead in 5mins max. No amount of calling in the cavalry is going to help in that case………..

Realistically, i think you have to accept the (small)risk, that a situation might occur that you cannot mitigate, whatever you do.

Take the usual precautions, take a charged mobile, tell people where you are going and when you’ll be back, pack sensible first aid/survival items (to depend on where you are riding etc).

Beyond that, just enjoy your ride!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Back country SOS emergencies? GPS/satellite devices’ is closed to new replies.