Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Babytrackworld – when to use the big rucksack?
  • northernremedy

Hi everyone!

I’ve bought a Deuter Kid Comfort rucksack so we can get some good walking in with the baby beast. The one thing I’m not sure on though is when it’s ok to start using it. She’s supporting her own head nicely and strong (5.5 months old) but she is not sitting up independently. Still needs some Balancing.

I’ve read some things which say ok to use it once they’re supporting their head strongly and I’ve also seen some say not til they’re sitting independently. Size wise she fits in nicely.

Anyone any experience they’d share? Thanks!

daftvader
    Free Member

With minvader he was about 6 months or so, minimissvader is just going in at a year as we’ve just not needed it till recently… Give her a go around the house and see what happens. The biggest trick is putting it on without loosing the little one out the side!! Hth

northernremedy

Cheers Mr Vader! I think some short test walks are in order

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Lankysprinter
    Free Member

Same, 6 months upwards, started out with short trips round town etc. our macpac had a head pillow thing too.
    Dont forget how cold they get up there and stay low/sheltered is my top tip- howling wind wasnt a win!

grahamt1980

Used our macpac at about 6 months, little toad was asleep from 5 mins in, was a strange sensation having his bobble hat bouncing on the back of my neck

daftvader
    Free Member

One word of warning… Don’t be surprised when all of a sudden little one isn’t little any more… It creeps up on you and then BOOM far to bloody heavy to carry!!! 😀

twicewithchips
    Free Member

+1 be careful about them getting cold – low body mass plus not walking themselves means you are toasty but they are not.
    Ours were fine in the backpack from about that size – we had one (little life?) that had a fleecy pad that their face landed on when they fell asleep (sounds like the macpac approach is similar).
    One day you’ll put them down and never pick them up again….

northernremedy

Thanks for the advice everyone 🙂 you’re all very right there’ll come a time when I won’t be carrying her and I guess it’ll come quick! The last five months certainly have flown 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

We’ve got a Macpac for our 11 month old and I use it for basically everything. My wife uses either a pram or wrap carrier thing which she finds easier. He’s been in it for a couple of months or so – I’d have had him in it much earlier but my wife said his head looked wobbly when he got tired.

I found it massively liberating – it meant I was able to get outdoors with him which was great. It’s heavy though – i notice my calves aching the next day after I’ve used it!

As above, watch out for cold.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Babytrackworld – when to use the big rucksack?’ is closed to new replies.