Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Baby sleep aids / sound conditioners / white noise machines
  • AB
    Free Member

Anyone had any experience with one of these for helping their baby (or themselves) sleep?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

might i suggest Atari Teenage Riot-Live at Brixton Academy instead

i's mostly white noise

joemarshall
    Free Member

If it is just a source of white noise, is there a stereo or mp3 dock or something with speakers in the room? It is pretty easy (like a 1 minute job with audacity) to generate an mp3 / wav file of white noise, you could always just play that back.

Oh heck, you can even download ones someone else has made:
    http://cantonbecker.com/music/white-noise-sleep-sounds/

Joe

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Ours used to nod off prety much instantly with the dishwasher on in the background….. but I like Joe's idea….

crikey
    Free Member

…you could always remember that little babies sometimes don't sleep, and haven't done so for thousands of years. It doesn't last forever and I'm not sure that 'white noise' is a great idea.

I've had three, suck it up.

AB
    Free Member

Guys, second baby.
    Now have 2 under 2.
    Know the sleepless nights don't last forever.
    One of my colleagues said she uses one of these to amazing effects and I just wanted the STW persepctive.
    That's all.

theotherjonv

detuned radio

Dr_Bakes

We got bought one and use it every night at the moment (ours is 11 weeks now). It's a motion detection thing that is supposed to go inside a toy bear! We got rid of the bear and just have the unit at the end of the moses basket. It has a white noise, heart beat and rainfall setting and runs for 5 mins at a time, then kicks off again if he is still moving around.

The theory goes that they are constantly bombarded by noise in the womb (blood pumping, mothers heart beat etc) so silence can be disconcerting to them. We've not done a scientific test but it certainly seems to help settle him at night?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i'd have though brown or pink noise would be far more soothing, white noise is incredibly 'aggressive' to the human ear unless it is A weighted or similar

mtbfix

I rely on sleeping on the side of the bed the baby is not. That way Tinkerbelle gets to get woken up and puts baby back to sleep. Works for me and costs nowt.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

We tried one, it didn't seem to do anything that we noticed. The general impression was that the more noise the better though. It didn't matter if if was my hammer drill, music, guests, a pub. – Just as long as there was noise.

wwaswas

My son was still waking up screaming blue murder 5 times a night at age 3 so good luck with anything that avoids that.

Drac

Feed them to they're ready to pop, worked for both of mine.

maxray
    Free Member

We used one of those yellow stars that plays a lullabye, she had it every night so that we could take it with us when we stayed places and she would have a connection to home. Worked a treat and then a few weeks ago (age 2.5 not 18!) she said, no music Daddy and just went to sleep without, though she has taken to wanting the bedroom door open.

Will keep this thread in mind for when number 2 arrives in a few months and sleep goes away again 😀

antigee

we bought a tape (less than a decade ago but the pace of technology in our house is always a bit on the mean side) that played a whooshing blood/heart noise called something like babysoother – worked once asleep to keep them that way after gone off – definitely worth a try

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

medised!!:o)

1busymommy2
    Free Member

We use a schedule and various sleep aids. I was not ok with just letting her cry, but I also know she needed to self sooth. I found a sleep machine helps. At home we use a box fan in her room and when we are away from home, road trip, hotel room, grandmas house we use a sleepy bee. (sleepybees.com) I just feel like puttting her in a quite room to ?cry it out? was crule, but when she was trained to sleep to the ocean waves that the sleepy bee makes or the box fan sound, she seeemd to settle herslef more easily.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

IMO a baby will either want to sleep, or there is a reason why they are not asleep and you can not force one to sleep…(yes ok using distraction isnt directly forcing)

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Classic FM worked for us twice…

poly
    Free Member

Positive experience from 2 children (especially our eldest) with the “Slumber Bear” that Dr_Bakes describes. Obviously no scientific control experiments but anecdotally it worked – but we did have them from day zero – not sure how a baby would take to it at a few weeks/months old.

restless
    Free Member

in the day i used to sit my youngest in front of the washing machine. it made him sleep, or maybe just bored him to sleep. 🙂
    at night if he woke i used to switch my hairdyer on, the noise soothed him back to sleep. don’t know why, but it worked.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Baby sleep aids / sound conditioners / white noise machines’ is closed to new replies.