Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Baby seat?!! Suggestions please.
  • toffer
    Free Member

As above any suggestions on a baby seat to buy to attach to my bike, or are trailers any good? Looking for anything that can get me out on my bike more now I have a 9 month old baby. Before you say leave it at home, I tried but the cat won’t look after him.

nixie

Weeride, they sit between your arms.

ampthill

I like the rhode gear one that fix to a Bike rack. Good level of protection, looks fine is useful without bike seat.

toffer
    Free Member

The Weeride ones look good, anyone have any experience of using one? Anyone recommend a helmet for the little one?

tinybits
    Free Member

Weeride is good. Can’t slide forwards off the saddle (swing your leg over the back when coming to a stop) and you have to ride a little knok kneed but you won’t be going for all out speed!
    Soon my boy will be too big for his, the plus side is that he’s going brilliantly on the balance bike so soon time for family rides!

thebunk

Really like the Weeride as it feels safe with them between your arms and you can have a chat with them. My daughter has been known to fall asleep in ours.

Terrible riding position, though it doesn’t really matter.

Specialized do kids helmets.

nixie

We really like the weeride. It’s very easy to talk to them while they are in it. Not the best riding position for the adult but nothing difficult to deal with. I took my daughter through a rock garden (up and down)with ours fitted to my old full sus.

mark90
    Free Member

Despite the slightly awkward riding position with weeride the bike is so much more stable with the weight centered than a rear mounted seat. Have both options. Jnr has been in the weeride since about 9 months and approaching 3 is getting a bit too big for it really. But he does love it and going over the ‘bumps’, have done a few blue trails with him on there.

WillH

Loads of threads on this subject, do a search. My usual comment is that the Yepp Mini is worth a look.

I had a Weeride but a) the big heavy bar which remains attached to your bike is big and heavy, b) the big heavy bar creaked with frame flex (although I had an early model, they may have addressed this in later models), and c) it interfered with my knees too much as it’s hard plastic and relatively wide. This is very subjective though, purely down to a rider/frame combo.

The Yepp Mini has a very discreet bracket which mounts on the steerer tube either directly above or below the stem (for aheadsets) or clamps onto the steerer for other head sets. I used it for my eldest a few years ago and am currently using it for my 9 month old. He seems perfectly happy in it, even fell asleep the other day.

For me, and my particular frame/body combination, the Yepp has loads better knee room. It’s also soft (same foam stuff as Croc shoes are made from) so accidental knee-strike is painless.

Also, since it’s nearing winter in your part of the world, I highly recommend the Hamax poncho. Folds down into its own pocket, easy to deploy in grotty weather, keeps the wee one nice and dry (and warm).

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into this but need some guidance.

I want a seat to take the boy (he’s 12 months old) to nursery. The tricky part is that I need the bike to get me to work afterwards (another 3 miles) so I don’t want anything that’s awkward for speed commuting. Which makes me think the wearied is off the table. Will look at the Yepp.

What’s wrong with having them ride behind you?

(Sorry not sorry for the thread hijack)

TooTall
    Free Member

Can the little one sit upright unaided with a helmet on their head without their underdeveloped neck getting injured for that length of time?

I know it is a seat with a harness, but adding a large percentage of weight to their noggins at an early age and then jiggling them about isn’t a great idea. Just make sure their physical development comes higher up than your desire to ride a bike. It’s not a long time.

WillH

I want a seat to take the boy (he’s 12 months old) to nursery. The tricky part is that I need the bike to get me to work afterwards (another 3 miles) so I don’t want anything that’s awkward for speed commuting. Which makes me think the wearied is off the table. Will look at the Yepp.

What’s wrong with having them ride behind you?

This is what I do. 1.5km to kindy with the four-year-old riding his own bike, baby up front on mine. Then on to daycare for the wee fella, and I leave the seat there for my wife to pick up when she collects him. The Yepp attaches/detaches using one hand in about three seconds – press a button, slide the catch back and that’s it.

The bracket that stays on the bike is very small:

Edit: Nothing wrong with having them on a rear seat, but when they’re really young I prefer them up front where I can see them. It also allows you to interact with them more than you can when they’re at the back.

user-removed
    Free Member

Took the wee man out on the bike on a Halfords seat as soon as he was allowed by the guidwife. He had a helmet and could hold his head up. Needed a wee bit of fettling / pad movement and removemal.

Trailers are a pain in the neck if you’re on cyclepaths – the local council will usually have installed motorbike stoppers – those triangular gates.

Whenever you go through one of these, be sure to tell your infant to pull his arms in.

hot_fiat

9month old is perfect for a WeeRide. I think we had Euan in one from a little younger than that. He used to love it & would regularly fall asleep after about half an hour of riding. The front shield is great for this. Heidi likes it too, but now prefers to be snuggled up to her brother in the trailer.

Some things to note:
    It’s cold up front. Sun glasses to keep the wind out and a full snow suit are pretty much essential.
    They’ll need a helmet. I found Abus did the smallest lids on the market.
    Don’t do proper off-road with a weeride. Towpaths and railway paths are fair game as are some green/blue trails – you try blasting down a trail strapped to your saddle & see just how uncomfortable you feel.
    A fat bike is pretty much the perfect weeride mule. Big squidgy tyres and big q-factor cranks make the ride and riding position much better for all involved.

nixie

Don’t do proper off-road with a weeride.

Don’t agree with this. Proper off road is fine you just need to adjust your speed to suit the young cargo.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Whatever you get, get a front mounted one, the kids love it! Rather than being stuck looking at your back.

The only advice I would get on helmets is try and get a bowl shaped one, rather than a ‘traditional road bike’ type one that has a peak sticking out the back if that makes sense? As they sit quite close to your chest the peak bit on the back become intrusive.

Good

Bad

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I had a weeride and didn’t get on with it. Might be being tall and having long legs. Didn’t like riding bow legged.

Now have a Hamax which I really like. Also have Thule trailer use both on and off-road (what I’d do with a kid)

al2000

Another vote for the Yepp Mini, really quick and easy to attach / detach. The adapters are inexpensive as well, we have them on multiple bikes.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

WeeRide is the best option (but a pest to swap bikes and take on/off) BUT when the wee one is a bit older, it doesn’t get any better than a MacRide – AMAZING!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Baby seat?!! Suggestions please.’ is closed to new replies.